Thread: Road bonus for pathways?

Default Road bonus for pathways?

I was browsing that thread that suggested lamps on plots and ya know... every time I walk on someone's plot who took the time to build those nice cobblestone walkways, I wish that road bonus could be applied to them.

I mean... yeah, maybe it's just a miniscule touch and most plots are small enough that it won't make a huge difference (its own issue entirely), but for places like 10-level deep dragonlairs, and plots on Shep's Home, Mithril's Anvil, Last Stand, etc. that are good-sized and used a ton by folks dragging disks around... it would be nice to keep the road bonus if you stay on the walkways as you navigate the plot.

From an idealistic perspective, why should I be able to run at higher speed on a rough dirt road, but get slowed up by a nicely-paved cobblestone walkway? From an artisan's perspective, it might also encourage folks to lay out their plot in more organized fashions (if they so choose, of course), and build the "access roads" first so construction materials can more easily be dragged further into the construction site. I know, it's fanciful, but it would be a very nice touch.

I'm guessing that the road bonus areas are hard-coded into the world so maybe it won't be that technically feasible... but then again, if taverns are place-able structures that can have area effects associated with them (in their case to boost food consumption) then maybe it IS technically feasible.

And if it's technically feasable, then it's worth asking about.
    Last edited by Steele; March 11th, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: for clarity
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Default Re: Road bonus for pathways?

Well, why not have the whole plot as a road bonus if just the cobblestone is too difficult to code? I mean, the plot itself is on nicely raked land and dragons do get the road bonus when within lairs, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    <sinp>and dragons do get the road bonus when within lairs, FYI.
    In fact, all underground areas (like the Craft caves and the Augendel Town Cave (I believe)) get the road bonus.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post
    I mean... yeah, maybe it's just a miniscule touch and most plots are small enough that it won't make a huge difference (its own issue entirely), but for places like 10-level deep dragonlairs, and plots on Shep's Home, Mithril's Anvil, Last Stand, etc. that are good-sized and used a ton by folks dragging disks around... it would be nice to keep the road bonus if you stay on the walkways as you navigate the plot.
    Um... they do have a road bonus. The lairs, anyways. I don't know about plots since I tend to fly straight down through the roof of the structure I intend to use.

Yeah, that's the one disadvantage of posting from work: I gotta go with memory and can't personally verify everything I think of before I type it. Luckily I only look like an idiot once every couple of weeks. :P

I haven't had much experience with Lairs... been in them a few times with Grakk (my adult) but yeah, always flying around - almost never running. I just never took notice of the road bonus; sorry about that.

The rest of the post stands as-is tho... and I hope the thread can remain focused on that instead of my one inaccuracy.

Honestly even though it's probably "easier" I don't think the entire plot should be coded for road bonus. I mean, it is rough dirt and all; I was just thinking it would be a neat touch for paved & well-used, well-worn, packed down dirt paths.

I wouldn't even apply road bonus to that colored tiled flooring - folks typically put those tiles under and around their fountains, and it makes me laugh to think of road bonus there. Have you ever tried running on ceramic tile, let alone WET ceramic tile? Ever see a cat on a polished linolium kitchen floor? That's nuthin compared to wet ceramic. >=)
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

That's alright, I try to go off my memory all the time as well. I just tend to notice these kinds of random things. That's why they invented the 'Edit' button and white-out.

Thread Information