Thread: Highlighting strings of game feedback text

Default Highlighting strings of game feedback text

Currently there is only a set amount of hard coded options dealing with the colour of combat and other feedback text. During a fight (with or without a group) the volume of text flowing past can make it easy to miss important lines of text, ie the ones that usually mean life or death.

For example, when fighting the marrow guards at Valkor's castle, you want to know when a marrow uses it's Ethereal Blade ability so that it can be dispelled quickly.

What I suggest is that players have the option to set a number of their own text strings with colour options, including a background colour (if possible).

So when "Ethereal Blade" (or whatever other strings of text you have defined) pops up in a line of combat feedback, that whole text line is displayed as your chosen colours rather than the hard coded default colour setting.

Used to have this feature in an old MUD I once played, it was called Highlight Strings and it was pretty nifty.

Default Re: Highlighting strings of game feedback text

I don't have too much trouble catching things, but I would enjoy being able to hi-lite text. All of the colors available are already used by default, so if I wanted to change one it would throw things off for me. XD

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

This option is already in game.

In the chat window properties, where you specify what belongs in said chat window, you have all the different colors attributed to the different channels and system options. Click on the color and you can change it appropriately.

Something I also suggest is specifying out a separate chat tab specific to certain combat activities so you can keep track of them faster without having to sort through the clutter of the entire main window to see what's important to you at the time.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

That's not what they're talking about, C'gan. They want free text highlighting, making said text a *different* colour from the other text in that channel.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Though I have no objections to tab-specific coloring! That'd be a very nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    This option is already in game.

In the chat window properties, where you specify what belongs in said chat window, you have all the different colors attributed to the different channels and system options. Click on the color and you can change it appropriately.
    Perhaps I should have included an example so that what I said could be more easily understood.

In the below chunk of combat feedback text there are two lines of text that I would consider important to me while hunting blight hounds. Both lines have the text "Lightning Claws" in them. I want to know when I dispel it, and when the hound uses the ability again.

Currently the only option for colouring text is to choose the text colour for all casting spell hits, all enemy ability uses, and so on. I want to go one level further and choose text colour based on the presence of a particular text string that I define. In the below example it's "Lightning Claws".

You hit Blight Hound with Cloak of Thorns V for 95 pierce damage.
    You hit Blight Hound with Cloak of Thorns V for 103 pierce damage.
    Blight Hound hit you with Decay IV for 43 nature damage.
    Blight Hound hit you for 20 slash damage.
    Blight Hound hit you for 25 slash damage.
    Blight Hound hit you for 20 slash damage.
    Blight Hound hit you for 23 slash damage.
    You began casting Dispel V on Blight Hound.
    You hit Blight Hound with Cloak of Thorns V for 92 pierce damage.
    Blight Hound hit you with Chain Attack VIII for 163 slash damage.
    You successfully dispelled: Lightning Claws III.
    You began casting Improved Spirit Bolt V on Blight Hound.
    You hit Blight Hound with Cloak of Thorns V for 91 pierce damage.
    Blight Hound hit you for 68 slash damage.
    You hit Blight Hound for 36 slash damage.
    Blight Hound used Lightning Claws.
    You hit Blight Hound with Improved Spirit Bolt V for 274 spirit damage.
    You hit Blight Hound with Improved Spirit Bolt V for 272 spirit damage.
    You began casting Dispel V on Blight Hound.
    Blight Hound used Lightning Stun on you.
    You began casting Improved Energy Bolt V on Blight Hound.
    You cast Dispel V on Blight Hound.
    You hit Blight Hound with Improved Energy Bolt V for 27 energy damage.
    You used Stun III on Blight Hound.

that would be neat. tho changing the color still kinda does that just not to the level you want. if you want to see those particular things for now or until they insert that option into the game (if they do) you might wanna change player spells hit and enemy buffs to like a really really bright color maybe white?? in a limited chat tab(one with just combat feedback)

How about a blinking attribute

Set certain keywords in a list, and if they are encountered, either color the text a certain color or make it blink annoyingly.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Thread Information