Thread: Pawn prices for the new food

Default Pawn prices for the new food

Didn't check with every food but with the ones I did I was truly shocked by the ridiculous low price one gets for pawning food.

Is it a bug or is it intended?

10 rock candy for 2 cents total???

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Default Re: Pawn prices for the new food

Maybe it's been done that way to avoid confectionners to pawn their food instead of selling them to players

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Maybe it's been done that way to avoid confectionners to pawn their food instead of selling them to players
    Could be, so I'm really curious about the intend of this.
    People only need a certain amount of food while you need a lot of food made to level. So how much baked potato can you sell?

And it's really really allmost nothing you get. Raw resources grapes and such give you 1 ct a piece that's more than you get for the made food.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Kala posted a very good thread http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17914.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala
    6. Pawnbrokers. Currently, it appears that imperial pawnbrokers aren’t all that interested in food. They were offering 2c for 5 T4 meals. Please increase that.

The value of food for sale to pawnbrokers is set low on purpose to encourage players to sell to one another. As for needing a lot of food to gain levels, this is true, but not nearly the quantities you did prior to the revamp. You will gain levels just trying to stock your vendors/consigners to feed the hungry populace.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The value of food for sale to pawnbrokers is set low on purpose to encourage players to sell to one another. As for needing a lot of food to gain levels, this is true, but not nearly the quantities you did prior to the revamp. You will gain levels just trying to stock your vendors/consigners to feed the hungry populace.
    I'm not complaining about the amount of food to gain levels or the xp for food, I think that's fine.

However

I'm sorry but "set low" is a major understatement. The price is so low it's an insult.

I really don't think that a fair pawn price for the effort put in making the food would harm the market. As with everything selling to another player almost always gives more income than selling to the pawnbroker.

I'm not pawning it to get rich or something but at this price you almost have to pay to get rid of your food. - that is if you put it on the consigner, you have to pay for consigning and chances are the lower foods probably get back to your vault.

The forms on the other hand are on hard cash not on lore tokens.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Instead of to pawnbrokers, why not sell at tavern keepers? After all, that's where the benefit of eating the food comes into play.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Instead of to pawnbrokers, why not sell at tavern keepers? After all, that's where the benefit of eating the food comes into play.
    does a tavern keeper works different from a consigner?

- except the food exclusivenes -

And besides, that doesn't change the fact that the pawnprices are ridiculous low.
    If this is the new way to go, you could get rid of the pawnkeepers all together.

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Really? Interesting. I'm not certain if it's been fixed yet, but T5 tricuts sold for an absurd amount of copper. Wouldn't those be more useful sold to players, as well? I would think it's only fair to raise the amount the PBs will pay for food up to the standard processed rates. (What is it anyway? 64c per T5 gem, brick, etc.?) Frankly, I don't think players need any more encouragement to sell to one another, since the death points last so long now.

On a related note, I posted this on another post but it seems to have been lost in replies to other things:

(I quoted someone else's statement)
    I could only purchase a handful of vanilla beans to make 75 oils and boy does it get expensive: 2.5sp per banana split! at 44th level I made 3/4ths of a level making 100 banana splits at the cost of 40sp.
    (and was hoping someone could answer the following)

A question came up about appropriate food pricing... since Ambrosia VII sold for around 10 sp on connies before the changes, and it calculates out to 8.4 sp at 50 cp/tier/hour to remove 28 hours with tier VI foods, I was thinking that might be reasonable. The cost of preparation might be more than that though... Does anyone have a reasonable estimate of what food might sell for?

Honestly, Amon... especially with how much effort goes into making confectioner foods, I seriously doubt anyone will be making food purely to pawn. Two reasons:
    a) food is way too useful an item to pawn now, and
    b) there are FAR more efficient ways to grind cash, if your goal is to sell only to NPCs

The only thing that having a negligible pawn price does is clip the wings of any potentially viable player-market: if the baseline value (pawnbroker price) for goods is, literally, 2c then there's no floor to the player market. Pawnbroker price is how many players decide what to charge other players - so many times I see asked in Marketplace on Order "what is X worth?" and the reply is almost always "pawnie price x4" or x2 or whatever.

I've seen high level confectioners on Order debating prices in Marketplace, finally settling on about 1s per Tier5 food, only to find those same foods already on the Augh consigner at 150c apiece. Heck, lower tier food was priced for similar prices.

I dunno... I'm not saying "food should sell for X and that's that"; what I am saying is "please be open-minded enough to consider the larger economic effects of such a policy". I know Virtrium has a strong desire to see the player-run economies slowly return to life, and this revamp is a perfect opportunity for that process to begin... A strong building can not be built without a reasonable foundation however, and in HZ, for better or for worse, that foundation almost always seems to be that the player-value of an item, from raw & processed materials to construction services, tends to become a multiplier of the baseline value (pawnbroker price).

Please consider revising pawn broker prices for foods to be comparable (or almost comparable, since they ARE consumables) to other finished products of same-tier.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

I support raising the worth to a PB:

a few thigns determine market value:

1) bare minimum is set at what a t5 PB will pay

2) effort needed to make

3) time needed to make

4) rarity of item / items needed to make

5) supply/demand/competition etc ( like normal economies)

we need a bare minimum!

maybe my istarian economics are off a bit but thats how I determine prices for thigns I sell.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Thread Information