Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: take the death penalty away from pvp.

Default Re: take the death penalty away from pvp.

There's something about death and the resulting penalty that adds a level of excitement, of nervousness, tension.

Your senses are on high alert....

I think it makes you want to try your best.

You could always have healers on standby or a dragon with PR to rez the player that died. Of course then you are limited to 1 death every 15 minutes or hour, depending on whether it was a PR or a SR.

Perhaps there could be another set of teams for no-DP deaths for those that want it, and the regular teams for those that want the added excitement.

What confuses me about this is why you need to actually fight "to the death". Why can't the players agree to fight to a certain point based on their level and how much damage they do. For example, if you're high level, fight to the first one to 300 HP (or whatever seems reasonable.) Granted there will still be times when someone "oopses" and gets a good hit right at the end. But if you agree ahead of time to fight to "defeat" rather than "the death", then there's no death point.
    One of the few positive things of WoW is that you can duel and the game will never let you go below 1 HP (you are defeated when it happens).

This would be VERY time expensive to do here (you have i.e. to insta cleanse the DoTs on who just lost and is at 1 HP), while the "code" snipped I provided above is a snap.

I could code it myself in your game if I could use one of your company computers (I am a C++ programmer ;P) in about 5 minutes.

Your objection, in fact, is very logical, but no way I can know the armor stats of my opponent if I use a gold strike, chances are he'd just be insta gibbed.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

The "fight to defeat" works if you (and your opponent) can control how much damage they do to not go past "defeat" and into "death". It also depends on being able to establish who crossed the "defeat" threshold first. That's kind of hard to do, since HP updates are effectively batched. If there are two changes to a character's HP right after each other, the observers will only see the net change.

The situation I'm describing is that one player can drop below the threshold and by chance, fire off a heal or have a HoT tick which causes their health display to not go below the threshold. For example: A player has agreed to a 300HP threshold. They are at 400HP, take a hit of 120 damage (technically, they crossed the threshold, their health is now at 280), and a HoT ticks immediately afterwards for +43 heal. The observers see that the player's health went from 400 to 323. The player is "still in" even though they got defeated.

Whereas with death, there is no dispute or uncertainty. Just... well... a death point.

I could code it myself in your game if I could use one of your company computers (I am a C++ programmer ;P) in about 5 minutes.
    Knowing c++ would not be of much help with this situation since the game logic is not written in it.

But you are right, there is an easy solution. Have a vendor sell something like ambrosia that removes DPs quickly and easily. But, there's a catch. How to make it available ONLY if you are doing pvp and not so that if you get a DP in the regular world its cheaper and easier to go to the arena to remove your DPs than to go to a tavern and buy player-made food.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

personally id approach something like this by if possible putting an npc that periodically casts a non DP rez on anyone dead in the area,

or if that isn't not possible/desireable a vendor that sells 1 shot no DP rez item that is removed from inventory if leave arena, then other person can rez whoever died

both avoid food issue
    Last edited by fireblade; May 9th, 2008 at 01:43 PM.
    Anril Firestorm 83 Dragon/100 Dragon Craft/37 Lairshaping Anrill FireBlade Human "Jack of All Trades" (in Training)

Knowing c++ would not be of much help with this situation since the game logic is not written in it.
    Heh now you made me curious, are you using something akin to LUA then?

But, there's a catch. How to make it available ONLY if you are doing pvp and not so that if you get a DP in the regular world its cheaper and easier to go to the arena to remove your DPs than to go to a tavern and buy player-made food.
    Well, now I am digging my 2004 memories up (danger, brain may 'plode!) and I recall how some quests have positional checks delimited by an area. I.e. RoP when you have "use at X place" items.

Creating an "Arena ambrosia" with greater effects but that only activates in such an area would not be impossible, and would only push the confectioner craft into being more desired.

PS. Amon you are a great man, I see you listened what an user suggested you unike another MMO devs I'd beat with an anvil every other day
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post

Creating an "Arena ambrosia" with greater effects but that only activates in such an area would not be impossible, and would only push the confectioner craft into being more desired.
    i don't think triggering in the right area is the problem its stoping someone getting a load of DPs and instead of going and buying food from player at a tavern, going to area and buying DP removal from NPC there
    Anril Firestorm 83 Dragon/100 Dragon Craft/37 Lairshaping Anrill FireBlade Human "Jack of All Trades" (in Training)

Perhaps not something that totally removes DPs, but gives you an effect that, the instant before you die, heals you totally so long as you're in the arena. Maybe it'd still play your death animation or something, and it could even still kill you so long as no DPs are accumulated. Then there's no fear of people abusing that ambrosia-type item for easy DP removal.

Or create an 'arena effect' similar to a tavern effect that makes DPs earned in that area last less time. Or no time.

What about something that you can buy and eat only in the arena (if you leave it disapears from invintory or something similar), before you fight, that gives you a buff that only triggers if you die, say an instant res or somehting, porting or recalling would cause the buff to drop of course.

Maybe tie it to the "buff" that lets you fight in the arena. Add code into it that says: If(arena fight & die & rez/recall) reduce DP timer by 1 DP.

No clue how easy that would be to work, but would make sense. Am pretty sure that "buff" falls off when you leave the arena.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Well maybe you can have an npc run into the arena and cast a res for only the arena(the colleseum one nott he giant landmass). The code would be like that of when a guard attacks a mob id think. That would avoid the food problem and it would only affect those that die in the arena and you cant die in the arena unless another player kills you:P

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post

But you are right, there is an easy solution. Have a vendor sell something like ambrosia that removes DPs quickly and easily. But, there's a catch. How to make it available ONLY if you are doing pvp and not so that if you get a DP in the regular world its cheaper and easier to go to the arena to remove your DPs than to go to a tavern and buy player-made food.
    Why not make joining the teams a or b as a quest and well if you die you complete it, have to go to the taver near the arena and get a arena meal ticket for the special food, make that said quest item weigh 99999 bulk once aquired forcing the player to throw it away or consume it at the spot. Oh and also have it prevent recal untill consumed.

this should fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Machariel View Post
    make that said quest item weigh 99999 bulk once aquired forcing the player to throw it away or consume it at the spot.
    That's actually a very good idea. I never thought of doing that. XD

Why not just make it so that while in the arena a players health can not be reduced to less than 1. Any player who's health reaches 1 is unable to do any actions for a period of 1 min.

No death = no DP.

A 1 min lock out (or 30 secs or whatever) would make it very clear who won the fight/battle it would also give time for any dots ect to wear off.

Thread Information