Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning the Horde

Default Burning the Horde

er, umm hoard that is

anyhow, i find the apparent trend towards hoard-burning to be a bit disturbing. With the latest patch, Drain Strike eats hoard, and soon so will Breath of Lightning and Breath of Ice. by my count that leaves dragons with five non-hoard consuming attack abilities, and five hoard attacks. add to that our best defensive ability is already cripplingly hoard-intensive (i have burned upwards of 100k hoard on Shield of Gold in a fight before)

as it stands now, offensive abilities and hoard-cost are as follow (feel free to point out any errors)

Tail Whip - no-hoard
    Ravage - no-hoard
    Bite - no-hoard
    Galewind - no-hoard
    Breath of Fire - no-hoard
    Breath of Lightning - hoard (soon)
    Breath of Ice - hoard (soon)
    Drain Strike - hoard (heavy)
    Silver Strike - hoard (light)
    Gold Rage - hoard (holy ****! who's been robbing me?)

(list is for adult dragon, i don't have an ancient yet to list ancient abilities)

so we will have, in the space of two patches (when the new BoI and BoL roll out) gone from one fifth of our attacks costing hoard, to half costing it.

and look at the costs, silver strike is the only one that is even close to reasonable (45 hoard at level 90) drain-strike (485 at level 90) now costs almost as much as gold rage (640 at level 90). Do i get Drulkar's phone number along with the heal when i use drain strike? My average hoard-gained per kill is somewhere in the hundreds. drain strike, something i used to use every time it cycled, is now completely useless to me, it still does crap for damage, and now it costs a buttload of hoard to use. thanks.

So, how long until the other half sucks our hoard away as well? And where form there? will we loose a hoard point for each damage point we take? will we shower the land with precious metals on each beat of our wings?

Default Re: Burning the Horde

Hoard is so easy to get now that it won't be a problem at all.
    Please read http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...027#post184027 for future changes on Drain Strike and Shield of Gold.

hoard really is easy to get and why do people complain over gold rage?? its only 640 and almost everytime ya use it youll get a hoard item that will replenish it an more(even lower levels depending on what they hunt)
    -when these changes do come about im sure that people will alterr their playin styles jsut a lil

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post
    hoard really is easy to get and why do people complain over gold rage?? its only 640 and almost everytime ya use it youll get a hoard item that will replenish it an more(even lower levels depending on what they hunt)
    -when these changes do come about im sure that people will alterr their playin styles jsut a lil
    Is hoard fairly easy to get: yes.
    Will you have a net increase when using Gold Rage: yes.
    Will you still have a net increase when Drain Strike, breath weapons, etc are all burning hoard as well: probably not.

It's that last bit that people are complaining about. No one's complaining about Gold Rage specifically - it's a great attack, for a reasonable amount of hoard. The problem comes when everything past auto-attack or Tail Whip is also adding to the hoard drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    Is hoard fairly easy to get: yes.

It's that last bit that people are complaining about. No one's complaining about Gold Rage specifically - it's a great attack, for a reasonable amount of hoard. The problem comes when everything past auto-attack or Tail Whip is also adding to the hoard drain.
    Very true, and while burning through lots of horde at the high end isnt that big of an issue for some, if you're a lowlevel or a newbie with out a dozen or so high level friends who can farm hordables day an night for you, not being able to use half your abilites because you dont have enough horde, is a serious problem.

A fair compromise: why not ADD hoard consuming attacks? Just a copy and paste version of the free attack multiplied in damage.

So those who can't afford the drain, can still play something better than "autoattack for 5 minutes, loot, move on to next", all those who have hoard raining upon them can use the hoard version and have their fill of empowered combat.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

O ouch, that's a bit of a bummer. Some new attacks that don't require hoard would be awesome, particularly since all this hoardiness is devastating for someone who only has 120k hoard.

Sigvard Nemena (Order) | Piano Forte (Order) | Lello (Order) | Vasken (Order) | Skreel (Order) | Ursala (Order)
    (Click names for biographies!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigvard View Post
    O ouch, that's a bit of a bummer. Some new attacks that don't require hoard would be awesome, particularly since all this hoardiness is devastating for someone who only has 120k hoard.
    Or a hatchie at level 24 with only 60k hoard... (I'm going to have to hunt forever before I can do my RoP. XD)

I have already said my bit about why I feel adding MORE hoard burning abilities is a bad idea.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...0&postcount=51
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Quote Originally Posted by Nisse View Post
    I have already said my bit about why I feel adding MORE hoard burning abilities is a bad idea.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...0&postcount=51
    exactly. i have -never- had a net-gain for hoard unless someone gave it to me. It is only since i hit 90 that i have even maintained even ground with hoard gain. i presently have 3.5 million hoard, at level 91. i should have what? sixteen million? i am twelve and a half -million- points below hoard for my level. or in terms of levels, i am twenty five levels low in hoard. that means i am 100 armour lower than i should be, and 25 Breath skill.

i really -really- don't need to be loosing more hoard.

I can't claim to know the specific circumstances others are encountering, but I never go down in hoard, unless I am fighting bosses and such (the big ones, like Reklar/SoG/Valkor/etc). On an average evening, I clear 250k in net gain.

Now, it may be my fighting style, or my equipment, or maybe the mobs I choose to fight drop more and better hoard, but I certainly haven't dropped in hoard in a long long time.

I'd be happy to share any hunting tips or help to anyone on Order (well, anyone in general here in the forums; just saying I could show and tell better in-game ).
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

I almost always net more hoard, in fact I made a thread giving people advice on how I did it...I have over 30m...and over 100m stored in my lair for hatchlings I make...or when I wanna be generous...its really not hard to make hoard folks... I dont know what to say.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

I'd log in and give hard numbers, but I'm currently not subbed up. But, I can have my equipment window open while fighting, and that hoard number will go down.
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Nobody mentioned that before, so I will do so:

On Unity it was usual to feed the hatchies. I got hoard from my guild, friends,and often enough from strangers.
    And I remember how happy they made me with that. I never forgot the ones that fed me
    I think it`s a shame for (not only the dragon) population, that hatchies are starving.
    So I appeal to the honor of all who have enough hoard, to give it to starving hatchies. E.g.: We all hunting the new forms atm, and a lot of hoard is dropped.
    And it takes not too much to make a little one happy.
    Sure, in the past I often gave hoard to hatchs, that left the game soon-
    but I do not care. Others are still playing, and became friends and mates (though that was not the intention).

The hatchies on order may give me a tell- and I will remember
    Or better anounce in the market if there is need (for RoP e.g.)
    As Vahrokh said in another thread: the older dragons are fat enough^^
    ( ok- he did not use this words)^^.

But you can fight with low hoard too, and be effective:
    LovsKin and FlamsKin on chaos are lvl 100, fight boss mobs and blights with
    8 million hoard and blighted (me) or unteched (Flame) scales.
    No prob. There are 2 ways

cant`t edit, so correction here:

Just checked: Lov & Flame have 4 million hoard each on chaos^^
    This is nothing for a 100 dragon- but it works too^^

Thumbs down Re: Burning the Horde

I don't have an issue with hoard-powered abilities for adult and higher dragons, they have an easy enough time getting hoard if they bother at all to try at it. Especially if you're giving dragons new powers they've been crying for, but making them cost hoard to use. That's all fine and dandy. But please keep in mind a few things...

A.) Making abilities which are already standard cost hoard may be a bit rough on the hatchlings, and we'd still like to attract more of them, rather than driving them off.

B.) Having half or more of our abilities be hoard-dependent seems a bit, well... cheesy... hoard use is supposed to be a sacrifice for extra power, not just a necessity for everyday activity... having to use hoard for everything you do kinda makes one feel like one might as well have batteries or a wind-up key on one's back, and...

C.) Unless these abilities are going to put us at an advantage over bipeds (including the multi-classed ones, since being a biped comes with the natural advantage of multi-classing), it's not necessarily reasonable or fair to charge hoard for them, since bipeds don't have to depend on a resource they must gather repeatedly in order to function normally. That's why gold shield and gold rage (and its primal counterpart, if added) are fair as heavy hoard-use abilities, they are certainly powerful enough to warrant it.

Charging hoard for drain strike was a bit excessive imho, but I'm not going t cry over it. Just please try not to make any more of our standard abilities require batteries.
    Last edited by Ashuran; May 24th, 2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Because I am my own worst critic.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Ashuran View Post
    B.) Having half or more of our abilities be hoard-dependent seems a bit, well... cheesy... hoard use ........
    you say that like its a bad thing........

(sorry for derail attempt...)
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Red face Re: Burning the Horde

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    you say that like its a bad thing........

(sorry for derail attempt...)
    LOL, sorry, I didn't mean to offend...

Little semi-offtopic question:

I noticed of the "standard" fire breath basically always hits. This breath is going to stay free.

On the other side, the lightining breath WOES for how often it misses. How often would I want to use hoard on the latter with this behavior?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    On the other side, the lightining breath WOES for how often it misses. How often would I want to use hoard on the latter with this behavior?
    based on how often the bloody thing misses? i'd never use it.

Thread Information