Thread: Question for the Devs - Can you define Ultra Rare Loot?

Default Question for the Devs - Can you define Ultra Rare Loot?

I've been hunting Son of Gigaroth for 2 weeks and managed to kill him about 14 times.The Demon Spike dropped 10 out of the 14 times, the Maul dropped 2 times, the Axe once and the Claw once.

My goal is to obtain the Bow; now I know the patch notes said that some of the loot will be considered Ultra Rare but what does that mean? Is there a percentage on the drop rate here? I'm starting to think the drop rate on the bow along with demongii is non existant.

Any feedback from the Devs will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Frons Von Frik; June 2nd, 2008 at 02:45 AM.
    Frons Von Frik - Order

Default Re: Question for the Devs - Can you define Ultra Rare Loot?

Yes, there is a percentage on the bow.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Amon : What is the percentage? 1 % or less? 10% ? 20%? etc.. What is it looking like?
    Frons Von Frik - Order

Heh... Like I'm gonna say

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

it dropped today on our 1st sog kill of the night. daneth won it i belive

Correct me if I'm wrong but does loot on mobs reroll when the servers are restarted,
    uh, in other words , kill sog 10 times , bow drops on #11 server restarts, mobs restart, kill count is back to #1 again ?
    OK the old sig was too long , this one is better.

There is not a list of the order for drops. There is a (pseudo)random roll that is compared to the loot table. It works very similarly to the old DnD random loot tables if I understand the process correctly.

I say pseudorandom, because no computer random number generator is totally random. They require a seed that can be changed (let seed=ssmmhhddmmyy for instance) and is usually picked when the server is restarted.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Its a bit more complicated than that, but it does involve a random number. Basically its divided into tables, each table has a weight and a maximum quantity. Within each table you get items, each with their own weights and quantities. Then each monster has a range (min and max) number of times it can "pull" from the tables as a whole.

Does a monster pick his loot at spawn or at death when the loot table pops up?

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

My guess would be at death, so that mobs spawned by someone running through an area rather than seriously hunting there have a smaller memory footprint.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakleif View Post
    My guess would be at death, so that mobs spawned by someone running through an area rather than seriously hunting there have a smaller memory footprint.
    Or, it is calculated whenever someone loots it for the first time.

Why calculate its loot table before it is looted? Some monsters don't even get looted, especially when someone is mass-farming insta-repop mobs like ogres. That would be a waste of memory to calculate a mob's loot table and then the mob not even get looted.

I've personally never seen a bow or a demongii drop, and I've been on a lot of hunts. Mainly get axes and spikes. Seen about 4 or so claws.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Why calculate its loot table before it is looted? Some monsters don't even get looted, especially when someone is mass-farming insta-repop mobs like ogres. That would be a waste of memory to calculate a mob's loot table and then the mob not even get looted.
    Because mob decay times seem to be based on

1. If they have loot available.
    2. If they are still harvestable for resources (or have been harvested completely already).
    3. If the server needs that body back to reincarnate (respawn).

So, that seems to indicate that loot is generated before the loot window opens.

Thread Information