Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roleplaying

Default Re: Roleplaying

Quote Originally Posted by Hrough View Post
    Oh, no, I can understand dragons breaking fights up because they don't like the fighting, and I can understand the level differences.

But there are still some very, erm, impossible things going on a lot of the time, in the middle of RP that is meant to be serious. Like 500 mile-per-hour pawstomps, catching fire and playing with it in a ball, and other such things.

I respect that others will break up fights in public channels, and two dragons should finish a fight in private, but I also think that even with level differences, they can do it without godmoding. =) And you certainly weren't, so I've no problem.
    This godmoding thing is what I don't like about the public dragon channel (even if I don't really log in anymore.. heh). There's one or two people that I've noticed (won't say who) in particular that will roleplay something ridiculous such as *ties both hatchlings down* in a fight, or *catches so-and-so by the tail and eats* etc without even giving them a chance to escape.

I say if someone's godmoding, either tell them politely that it isn't fair or ignore them altogether when it occurs.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

I think there's a bit of misrepresentation going on here.. "god-moding" is where you take control of someone else's character.

If two hatchlings are fighting, an Ancient comes by and ROARs "STOP IT NOW!", they don't stop fighting, and the Ancient proceeds to "break it up" by sitting on, tailswatting, shoving to the ground and holding, et cetera, one or both of the hatchlings, then that is not god-moding. The Ancient is doing an action he/she is quite capable of doing, and is not controlling their responses in any way. Limiting responses, yes, but that is the nature of RP interaction between any characters. Character A acts; character B reacts within the context that the world and situation specifies. It is only when Character A both acts for himself and reacts for the other that "god-moding" is evident.

There have been some really funny, silly RP sessions which are mostly, if not totally impossible, based on an Ancient tying up an Adult into a "dragon ball", and kicking her down a hill, whereupon she RPed rolling down the hill, and right into Arboreon. Yes, it was silly, non-serious RP, but it was entertaining.

I'd say just go with the flow. If you want to RP a specific way, and don't want to be interrupted, like everyone else is saying, take it to a private group.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Never mind, I got my terms mixed up. :P

But, yeah, when it comes to some things, expect people to interfere if you are exposing your RP to them. *shrug*

Unmoderated, free-form peer-to-peer text RP is difficult to do and do well. Many times, something that is "power playing" to one person is more than acceptable behavior to another. There are limits, though, like cracking the planet in half, throwing a mountain, etc. When it leans heavily into the absurd I think it can safely be ignored, unless that's the point of the exercise.

Then there's that pesky "making sure everyone is on the same page" deal, which, most times, is not the case.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Hmmm, I'm an Order Player and I had no idea this kind of thing went on, I never see it in any of the channels when I'm online... mayhaps I am not online during the times they happen... that's odd.

I've never seen a speck of RP in Order the entire time I've played, except for private RPs I did with my GF... which I sorely miss.

Are you on the Dragon and Marketplace channels? RP happens all the time on them... not so much on Marketplace, but it'll still happen sometimes.

And, hey, it's an RP shard. If you want to RP, start some and people will come.
    <----clicky!

Thread Information