Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get It Done - Git-er-done Meaning

Default Get It Done - Git-er-done Meaning

Some people - including the forum moderator - have accused me of being rude or mean in some way for using the phrase "get-it-done" and /or "git-er-done".

I explained the meaning to them but that meaning seems to have fallen on deaf ears to some people. So I will just let the nice folks at Urban Dictionary do the talking for me.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=git-er-done

Git-er-done is a statement of boisterous completion or encouraging another person to get something done, completed or finished.

In the last two years Git-er-done has debuted in many social and ethnic settings, thus expanding its borders beyond redneckdome to actual cultural diversity.

Default Re: Get It Done - Git-er-done Meaning

Well, as one who took your other thread's title to mean "here's something that the devs need to do ASAP - if not sooner" I'll suggest that perhaps using slang that can be misconstrued is not wise.

I recently referenced Godwin's Law in a manner similar to how Seinfeld used the "soup nazi" in one of their episodes, and was told that someone found that offensive and would I please not do it. So rather than get all defensive about what I meant, I simply said "Sorry, I'll try not to do it again. My intention was humorous and I'm sorry it didn't come across that way." (When to do the (Adult) Rite of Passage if you want to see what was said)

Perhaps you should follow that example and simply apologize for appearing demanding, state your intention (done here I think), promise to try not to fall into that trap again (trying isn't succeeding, as we all know, but the effort does count for something), and let it go.
    Last edited by Oakleif; June 10th, 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added link
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

While Im not one to stop someone from using that phrase, or treat them rudely because of it, and nothing personaly against you, but I find it annoying as heck personaly mostly because its such an over used saying...
    Let's go to the park! Git-er-done!
    I dropped my cookie! Git-er-done!
    Can you help me find my dog? Git-er-done!

I swear there are times I want to choke the people who use that phrase....

Interesting. It's not slang I've yet heard.

Then again, I avoid using slang and "urban catch phrases", as much as I can. They have a negative "feel" to them in my mind that suggests things I'd rather not suggest.

Around here the phrase that annoys me the most is "you want to come with?" or any other sentence/question that ends with the word "with". I want to scream "with WHO"?

Hi Oaklief.

I disagree with you on this point.

If you are taken aback or offended by what someone says, is it not reasonable to ask them to clarify their meaning to actually bother to find out of they are trying to offend you?

Political Correctness has, to a degree, allowed certain people to get away with pulling the "I'm offended" card to use it as a weapon against people instead of doing the right thing by addressing ther actual words or ideas presented.

I am familiar with Godwin's law - it is usually used in the context when someone throws the owrd nazi around in a way to stifle or shut down the statements or ideas of others so they dont have to address the facts at hand. Your simple use of "Soup Nazi" from Sienfeld is a part of the culture and has a cultural meaning that is anything but offensive.

We should not allow those who pull the "offended" card to control what words we use, or redifine terms. They simply need to ask for clarification. Git-er-done is an expression of positive encouragement - as the Urban Dictionary makes clear - to let someone redefine it to mean something bad as a weapon to avoid the contextual meaning and substance of anothers words or ideas is wrong. So no apologies from me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Seenu View Post
    Your simple use of "Soup Nazi" from Sienfeld is a part of the culture and has a cultural meaning that is anything but offensive.
    Tell that to German people, I do know they find that offensive. And there are quiet a lot that are reading these boards.
    Last edited by Zexoin; June 10th, 2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: SPELLING FOR THE WIN >8D

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Tell that to German people, I do know they find that offensive. And there are quiet a lot that are reading these boards.
    I lived in Germany for several years near Weisbadan. By and large Europeans love American Television.

Here is a link to the Sienfeld Show on German Television
    http://www.tv-world.net/seinfeld/

Here is a link to Jerry Sienfelds appearence on German TV Shows.
    http://poponthepop.com/2007/12/11/je...zz-in-germany/

I lived in Germany for several years near Weisbadan. By and large Europeans love American Television.

Here is a link to the Sienfeld Show on German Television
    http://www.tv-world.net/seinfeld/

Here is a link to Jerry Sienfelds appearence on German TV Shows.
    http://poponthepop.com/2007/12/11/je...zz-in-germany/
    I live at the German border and get german TV. Doesn't mean everyone has watched it. Doesn't mean everyone understand the reference.

With your "get it done" sentence, you have been offending people, whether you admit it or not.
    Argueing (sp?) it, won't change that fact.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/07/13/ho...you-in-german/

The New York City chef who inspired the infamous Soup Nazi character on Seinfeld is expanding his restaurant worldwide. Al Yeganeh plans to open up 50 SoupMan franchises in Britain next year, with openings in Germany, Italy and Japan to follow. His original restaurant, Soup Kitchen International in Manhattan, is what inspired the Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld. Just like at the American restaurant chain (there are 20), employees will follow Yeganeh's strict rules. Customers must have their money ready and move to the left after ordering or they can be denied service (the rules are on the restaurant web site).

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

seenu - there are many words that may have a positive context when spoken, but in nonverbal communication, can be taken in a negative context - simply because one does not see the body language or facial expression of the speaker/writer.

'Political Correctness has, to a degree, allowed certain people to get away with pulling the "I'm offended" card to use it as a weapon against people instead of doing the right thing by addressing ther actual words or ideas presented. '
    the reverse is also true. people use pc as a scapegoat to say unkind or malicious things as well as stiffling conversation.

one needs to learn to understand the difference and walk that fine line when communicating nonverbally with a community of people.

courtesy is hard, because it requires forethought and consideration of other people. however, simple courtesy will gain rewards of openness and constructive conversations, as well as in more face to face encounters.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I live at the German border and get german TV. Doesn't mean everyone has watched it. Doesn't mean everyone understand the reference.

With your "get it done" sentence, you have been offending people, whether you admit it or not.
    Argueing (sp?) it, won't change that fact.

Everyone doesnt have to watch it for my point to be vallid - just allot of people, and its appearent that allot of germans do.

And I have not offended anyone, those people have chosen to be offended, and all they had to do to avoid it was to ask for clarification on an obvious phrase of encouragement. You have to chose to be offended over a phrase of encouragement.

Everyone doesnt have to watch it for my point to be vallid - just allot of people, and its appearent that allot of germans do.

And I have not offended anyone, those people have chosen to be offended, and all they had to do to avoid it was to ask for clarification on an obvious phrase of encouragement. You have to chose to be offended over a phrase of encouragement.
    What offends me, is that you do not even consider that you may be offensive. And, not only with that sentence, you have been.
    Please read Vel's post, she explains much better than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    seenu - there are many words that may have a positive context when spoken, but in nonverbal communication, can be taken in a negative context - simply because one does not see the body language or facial expression of the speaker/writer.

Bingo - which is why people should always ask for clarification if they are either confused, or about to put forth the emotional investment to be offended in the first place.

Well said :-)

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

thank you.

now that everyone has made their point, i vote for this thread to be closed.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

What offends me, is that you do not even consider that you may be offensive. And, not only with that sentence, you have been.
    Please read Vel's post, she explains much better than I do.

Actually - this whole thread is about considering it. So to say that I did not consider it is a bit of a folly.

However, I offer a word of encouragement, and you are offended by it. That word of encouragement was clarified as a pure expression of good will.... and you are still offended. After all this the choice to be offended is yours and you have all the freedom in the world to make that choice for yourself, which was my whole point, its about choices. So I am glad we can agree.

If you are taken aback or offended by what someone says, is it not reasonable to ask them to clarify their meaning to actually bother to find out of they are trying to offend you?
    Who said I was offended by what you said? I merely took that phrase to mean exactly what the English words indicate: "Do it." Not "Do it if its possible with your limited resources," not "Please consider this," but "Do it." "Get it done."

Perhaps if you used "Git-er-done" instead of "Get it done", it would have appeared less like a command, but as I'm unfamiliar with the phrase in any context other than a command (military or other situation), I probably still would have read your thread in that light.

Political Correctness has, to a degree, allowed certain people to get away with pulling the "I'm offended" card to use it as a weapon against people instead of doing the right thing by addressing ther actual words or ideas presented.

<snip>

We should not allow those who pull the "offended" card to control what words we use, or redifine terms. They simply need to ask for clarification.
    When dealing with a global community, it is appropriate to adjust your speech patterns to be as clear as possible to those from other cultures and language bases, because colloquialisms and slang are often misunderstood by those outside your community.

So no apologies from me :-)
    Well, luckily Amarie doesn't have such hangups about dealing with a misunderstanding. It would be polite to reciprocate to clear the air.

Your continuing to state "I didn't mean to." or "I didn't try to." (which is essentially your argument here) holds as much strength as it does when my 12-year-old is attempting to defend an action that physically hurt his younger sister or younger brother rather than simply apologize and mean it, and avoid getting in more trouble from his mom or I.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Seenu Just so you know I did not take it as offensive. I took it as a demand from you to drop every thing and as you said get it done!

I see no where in the post where they took offense to the term "Get it done" what people were bothered by was the demanding tone of the post, which I assume you did not mean to have and being as some of us don't know you nor have, I at least, have not seen any of your post before this one so have nothing to base the way you post off of. So must go with my gut reaction to such a post.

I think, Amarië AncalÃ**mon the Community manager no a forum mod, I know a minor distinction, took offense to your tone of the post again notwhat you said. To me it sounded like some one walking into my house off the street and saying. "I think you need a door in this wall get it done!" It would not matter that it might save me 5 min of walking to go from my living room to the bathroom, it just the way you said it that would bother me.
    Now if you were a old friend and I knew how you talked it would not bother me as much. And no sorry I am not going to post every time and ask someone what they mean by the tone of there post every time I see a post like yours that I see that I think is a rude or demanding post. Oh and of note patting your self on the back in that one post did not help your case in my book.

Edit; Oh and you should be happy that you live under the current mods of the boards. Older mods would have already had your account banned your post removed and you would have been a memory blowing in the winds of the past. At one time these boards lived under the soup maker with out the soup.
    Last edited by Deth; June 10th, 2008 at 12:43 AM.

Actually - this whole thread is about considering it. So to say that I did not consider it is a bit of a folly.

However, I offer a word of encouragement, and you are offended by it. That word of encouragement was clarified as a pure expression of good will.... and you are still offended. After all this the choice to be offended is yours and you have all the freedom in the world to make that choice for yourself, which was my whole point, its about choices. So I am glad we can agree.
    I am not offended, I am irritated by the tune you gave to your posts.
    Indeed, the "get it done" part wasn't edited, if I rememer well. Some other posts, were.
    Though, it doesn't prevent other people to get offended by that first sentence, which I can understand, opposed to you.

Edit : Thanks Oaklief and Deth, for finding the words for what I wanted to say, but couldn't

Oaklief - when I said "if you are offended" I didndt mean you specifically - I meant you as a variable X as meaning for anyone, as if it was an example like "For instance if man X is offended"

I was just agreeing with your post and putting up some hypotheticals. :-)

Zexion - the very nature of text based communication doesnt allow for a real hope for judging tone with even a reasonable degree of accuracy (unless of course its filled with emoticons). It is always best just to take the words and ask for clarification.

So this is why asking for clarification is so important before an emotional investment is made in being offended. Because once the choice is made to be offended - everything read or seen in the future by that person will be read with a filter in mind to find an excuse to justify being offended.

Thread Information