Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make /select work on resources

Default Make /select work on resources

It's really frustrating to be out gathering resources and having to click on every. single. node. in. sight. in order to find the one you want. Such situations often arise when one is searching for iron among the nickel, or nickel among the cobalt, or platinum among the mithril. Or, more recently, when one is trying to find pale essence among the dim and glowing piles of residue on wisp isle. Ugh!

Anyways, shouldn't there be some way for resources to work with /select? That way you could save yourself all that trouble of searching for what you want. Or, even better, you could search for the motherload lots easier.
    <----clicky!

Default Re: Make /select work on resources

There's a player mod called "named poop".. don't ask me why it's called that. But it's here on the website. You can see (for a limited distance) the name of every resource and what type of node it is (rich, vein, exposure, motherload, etc).

I know it's not the fix, but it's a nice bandaid.

That's... erm... a creative name. o.O

Yes, that would work in a pinch, I suppose... but names don't tend to appear for me till I'm right on top of the resource. Still, that'll save me the trouble of clicking so much. XD
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    That's... erm... a creative name. o.O

Yes, that would work in a pinch, I suppose... but names don't tend to appear for me till I'm right on top of the resource. Still, that'll save me the trouble of clicking so much. XD
    If you're in first person mode you can see the names a bit further, but either way, it's a lot better than guessing Especially on wisp island.

I think the reason they took away the /select node was to make macroing crafting much more difficult?

I have to say on my dragon it would be really really useful to be able to select a node, sometimes it takes me several times to target one with her fat bottom in the way.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

gawd i would love this - if it was just like f10 for combat, i would be in heaven!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Agreed with velveeta, I don't need a /select type command but a "Nearest resource" would be fantastic
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

I know you are all in good faith, but implementing this feature allows for the most insane exploits imaginable. It's why games tend to avoid this feature like cancer.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

It was called "named poop" because that's what we all assume the wisp residue is on wisp island

works for all nodes and is one of the most useful mods I use
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I know you are all in good faith, but implementing this feature allows for the most insane exploits imaginable. It's why games tend to avoid this feature like cancer.
    XD Just goes to show you that I don't think about exploiting games I guess.

I suppose I'll just have to stick with the name mod. Thanks for telling me about it, Mensar!
    <----clicky!

It's not speculation, it was posted by the devs themselves that the reason we can't select nodes in such a fashion was due to the fact people would set up macros to farm and exploit the system.

Your character would be no more than one of those robotic grass mowers or carpet vacuums running on automatic while you go to the movies.

unfortunately I am on the side of "don't do it" (though it would be cool to have it, the negatives outweigh the positives too much)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    unfortunately I am on the side of "don't do it" (though it would be cool to have it, the negatives outweigh the positives too much)
    Same goes for me.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

You could, with a bit of effort, create a resource bot for this game if you had knowledge of a color interpreter you could run in the foreground as an overlay on the game. Granted, you'd have to run the game in windowed mode and have a locked perspective which would be pretty hard to get right and put it in click to move interfacing. But once you did, and locked in the color of the resource and the location on the map where your disk/machines were. It would be nothing to set up some waypoints (or macroed key entries) and have at it.

So this command would do nothing but make that one step easier. The moving around and back to the machines would still be the issue along with overloading.

So, would it make for an easy way to gather? yes. Would it make for an outrageous exploit? No. Not unless you had knowledge of how to make these other third party programs work with horizons.. and, I'm guessing, if you knew that you wouldn't NEED the auto targetting for resources

If you've been a victim of a player fighting on a macro, so stealing "your" mob and "your" experience, you definitely do not want them to harvest on "your" node too.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

*sticks snout in to thread*

Hmm you do know you can select resource nodes by bioteID?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    *sticks snout in to thread*

Hmm you do know you can select resource nodes by bioteID?

sssssssssssssssssshhhht you

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Making gather-macros more accessible to the masses via target-nearest-node would simply increase the number of folks that decide the ease of effort is worth the risk of getting banned. Making it difficult to macro gathering limits the number of folks that macro, which makes them easier to spot, easier to catch, and lowers the amount of manpower invested in catching them; right now, this development staff needs to avoid dilution of thier manpower.

If moving the camera around is too inconvenient, existing solutions are already in place to assist with node targeting: if you're an adult/ancient (or even if you're not), learn to use and love /setscale to shrink your bounding box, which will make targeting easier; there are threads out there on how to do it. If you're a dragon but not technical, try polymorph - sure, you won't get the benefit of scales while gathering, but reaping potions will still function just fine.

Crafting in general holds very little risk for X amount of advancement, as opposed to the same X amount of Adventuring advancement... to balance that out, crafting takes additional time investment - in Istaria that takes the form of gathering and travel.

Travel has already received a very necessary and reasonable adjustment with the recent disk revamp; if people feel that the gathering system needs a revamp, that's a whole other story... but it needs to be implemented in such a fashion which would protect the integrity of the crafting process from cheapening via automation. I'm sure thought-out ideas on that would be welcomed.

Crafting and dragons are this game's niche - for the product to continue rising from its ashes, that niche needs to be augmented and protected at every turn.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i certainly didn't mean to start this conversation!

i am so totally not in favor of macroing, so if i have to put in a little more effort to make it hard to do, that's fine with me -
    like most of my dreams, a target nearest node key is but a pipe!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Steele View Post
    If moving the camera around is too inconvenient, existing solutions are already in place to assist with node targeting: if you're an adult/ancient (or even if you're not), learn to use and love /setscale to shrink your bounding box, which will make targeting easier;
    Right... but that's a band-aid. A player mod to get around the inconvienience. Just like the texture mod and icon coloring mod.
    Not everyone has access to the forums.
    Not everyone likes using mods due to technical or whatever moral reason.

I agree with all of your points, but maybe there's a way to give us a targeting feature but disable the ability to put it in a macro.

Honestly, I don't think a resource-farming bot would be anywhere near as bad as bots that can farm money-dropping mobs.

Especially when the said bot would have to be -very- complex to know where to go to find a machine to process those resources. I mean, the worst you could do, was run the bot, and let it run until your disk/inventory is full (the bot would probably pick up a whole load of Bonus Resources you don't want!), and then stop.

That's what, 5 minutes max that the bot helps you before you have to take the reins again?

I don't think a /selectnearestresource would really have an impact on cheating/exploitation, TBH. Farming money-dropping mobs for hours and hours would benefit a botter/cheater a lot more than running a resource-gathering bot for 5 min to fill up a disk/inventory would...

Thread Information