Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learn to bloody spell

Default Learn to bloody spell

seriously. and this applies to the internet in general, not just these forums.

if you expect people to take the time to read a thing, you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

also, got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere, and have this to say about it:

"prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however, is a word. the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" (key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word, it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed") something i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. to see them suddenly come up in forums populated, mostly, with people i at least respect, is disheartening.

Default Re: Learn to bloody spell

u need 2 lighten up man!!! lol there r things way more annoying 2 get upset over like when ppl type like this n think ur gonna take them seriously lol!!!

I'm going to go whip myself 100 times now...

sniped .

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    seriously. and this applies to the internet in general, not just these forums.

if you expect people to take the time to read a thing, you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

also, got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere, and have this to say about it:

"prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however, is a word. the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" (key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word, it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed") something i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. to see them suddenly come up in forums populated, mostly, with people i at least respect, is disheartening.
    (Poor form to use the title as part of the first sentence in the thread.)(, )seriously. (Starting a sentence with a conjunction.)(T)this applies to the internet in general(Unnecessary comma.), not just these forums.

(I)if you expect people to take the time to read a thing(Unnecessary comma.), you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

(Unnecessary double return.)
    (Starting a sentence with an adverb is frowned upon.)(A)also, ("I have" is more appropriate.)got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, (I've)i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere(Unnecessary comma), and have this to say about it:

"(P)prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however(Unnecessary comma.), is a word. (T)the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" ((K)key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word(Unnecessary comma), it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed"(.)) (S)something (I)i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. (M)my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. (T)to see them suddenly come up in forums populated(Unnecessary comma.), mostly(Unnecessary comma.), with people (I)i at least respect(Unnecessary comma.), is disheartening.

When making fun of someone's spelling. You best check your own grammar at the door.

I also must comment on the "severely overweight dunces" statement. I have not heard such a stupid statement in many years. Are you seriously attempting to tell me that you have only ever heard "prolly" from overweight people? I actually use the term "prolly" myself. I do however fit your stereotype. I must not be someone you respect.

Thank you, Kumu

Kumu I love you.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I only have to add the following.
    This is an international forum. English is my third language. Sorry if I sometimes make a spelling mistake, I try not to make them. But have respect for other people who try to speak your language or do you rather prefer that we all start typing Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, ... or another language? And then start attacking you because you reply with poor grammar or spelling in those languages. The world does not revolve around English. It may happen to be the most understood language in the world, but it doesn't mean everyone knows it perfectly grammar- or spellingwise.
    Maybe we can all try to learn Esperanto or something, or maybe one of the Elven Languages like Sindarin or Quenya from the world of J.R.R. Tolkien. That will make it difficult enough for everyone.
    Also this is a game forum. Games are ment to be fun, likewise coming to read this forum I expect it to be fun and entertainment. If you want to be a spellingnazi or whatever other term is appropriate (don't want to disrepect anyone with this term), please find a more appropriate forum.

Salis

Mistakes from people whose mother tongue is not English are understandable, but usually such people are better at English than native speakers.

People who write badly only because they're lazy irritate me. Unless they prove themselves to be respectable for other factors of personality and capability, I dislike them by default.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i use prolly a lot in text chat (don't think i have ever actually said 'prolly' in spoken conversation). fortunately for you, i recently developed the habit of spelling out most words in text (i usta be a 'u r a p00hed' person, now i just type it all out) and using the proper punctuation (after 6 years of writing college papers and reports, i have seen some pretty crappy sentence structure, let me tell you).
    i may be "severely overweight", but i do not consider my iq of 151 to be duncelike. i have been an amateur egyptologist and archeologist for more than 30 years. i completed a bachelor's degree in science with a 3.82 gpa. none of this seems duncelike to me.

don't get me wrong, i totally agree with the premise of the topic. i do not even bother to try to decypher certain peeps' posts on these forums. as stated in op, if its too much trouble to translate and its not a sephi post, i ain't even going there......
    but i do not think shortcuts are so earthshatteringly horrible.
    as long as the point is taken or at least understood, we all kewl. if you do not understand the gist of things, ask for clarification. otherwise, just ignore anything you don't/can't read!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I don't see what's so earth-shatteringly terrible about using the words "prolly" or "'posed". I myself use "prolly" sometimes in MSN and whatnot. As for the "severely overweight dunces" bit.. well, let's just say I'm the exact polar opposite.

I could see your point if you meant people who tiped liek dis (such people shouldn't be using the internet in the first place) but come on. Just chill.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

For those of you hailing Kumu, I would like to point out that spelling and grammar are two totally different beasts. It is MUCH more difficult to read a sentence that has no punctuation in it than a sentence where every word is spelled incorrectly.

Interesting that this was never brought up...

Lern 2 bludy spel...

Have fun!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

The point was that if you are going to complain about spelling then you should make sure that you are beyond reproach.

As others stated. English isn't the native language of everyone on the forum. That's more than enough to overlook misspellings. Many browsers have spell checking available but if your browser is German it may only have German dictionaries and ignore misspelled English words or mark them all wrong since they are misspelled in German.

The point in my post was that you are not perfect either. I'm not saying that I am. There is a saying: "Point a finger and there are three pointing back at you."

I think you all are missing the point.

There's errors, language barriers and then there's those just not caring if people understand you and making no obvious effort whatsoever.

If you want an example, how about the word 'pole' Constanstly used time and time again even though the error was pointed out last time and the correct word 'Poll" is also at the very top of the page before you even begin typing!

Except that if you don't speak English and you DO use a spell checker, it would say that pole is indeed correct. Imagine that.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.
    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.
    Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

correct word 'Poll" is also at the very top of the page before you even begin typing!
    In bold no less Still shows NO effort whatsoever. As you're starting a new thread, forums wrote:

Post a Poll
    Yes, post a poll with this thread
    Number of poll options: (Maximum: 10)
    You talk as if there's not a TON of clues haging around to hit you in the face of what word to use if you're even putting in a miniscule amount of effort to try and use the right word.

Mind you, I've noticed the ones who don't speak English as a native tounge, I can understand perfectly fine. They're not opt to think i r u b and 8 are words! Speaking of, with as how difficult it is for us to understand, imagine the second/third language as English and trying to understand lazy shorthand. There's certainly no dictionary for it. But nevermind. Whatever. I already have a list of people I don't read thier posts as it is too difficult to try.

I really don't like that I can't read what someone has to say. In this pot of ideas, glazing over ones I can't read is disheatening. Other opinions are important, but if you can't figure out what they are saying, what else can you do?

Edit: as far as that cambridge study goes, sure. But if the last letter isn't in it's right place, or a letter is missing, it won't work and you still have to figure out how to read it.
    Last edited by Shian; June 30th, 2008 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Speaking of, with as how difficult it is for us to understand, imagine the second/third language as English and trying to understand lazy shorthand. There's certainly no dictionary for it.
    Quoted for emphasis. I do sometimes have trouble to understand some people's post because of their spelling.

English is not my first language, though I try to type it as good as possible. When I'm not sure about how to spell a word, I use Wordreference to check it (and that's why sometimes I am long to answer in-game).
    If I'm still unsure about grammar or spelling, I write it in my post, to avoid being flamed.

I try to spell things correctly and try not to use too many American colloquialisms, since I'm in a few international forums.

It's only polite.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

To add in besides english not being everyone's first language:

The interent is quickly changing all language. English is included.

Language is in a state of perpetual change. Keep that in mind, and you'll worry less.
    In 100 year the english, or the language you knew will be totally different.

You can thank the internet for that one.

(Add my issues with spelling these days. I try but sometimes things may slip though.)
    Last edited by Nisse; June 30th, 2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: .
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Thread Information