Thread: Learn to bloody spell

Hybrid View

Default Learn to bloody spell

seriously. and this applies to the internet in general, not just these forums.

if you expect people to take the time to read a thing, you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

also, got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere, and have this to say about it:

"prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however, is a word. the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" (key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word, it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed") something i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. to see them suddenly come up in forums populated, mostly, with people i at least respect, is disheartening.

Default Re: Learn to bloody spell

u need 2 lighten up man!!! lol there r things way more annoying 2 get upset over like when ppl type like this n think ur gonna take them seriously lol!!!

I'm going to go whip myself 100 times now...

sniped .

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post

if you expect people to take the time to read a thing, you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

also, got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere, and have this to say about it:

"prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however, is a word. the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" (key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word, it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed") something i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. to see them suddenly come up in forums populated, mostly, with people i at least respect, is disheartening.
    (Poor form to use the title as part of the first sentence in the thread.)(, )seriously. (Starting a sentence with a conjunction.)(T)this applies to the internet in general(Unnecessary comma.), not just these forums.

(I)if you expect people to take the time to read a thing(Unnecessary comma.), you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

(Unnecessary double return.)
    (Starting a sentence with an adverb is frowned upon.)(A)also, ("I have" is more appropriate.)got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, (I've)i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere(Unnecessary comma), and have this to say about it:

"(P)prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however(Unnecessary comma.), is a word. (T)the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" ((K)key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word(Unnecessary comma), it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed"(.)) (S)something (I)i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. (M)my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. (T)to see them suddenly come up in forums populated(Unnecessary comma.), mostly(Unnecessary comma.), with people (I)i at least respect(Unnecessary comma.), is disheartening.

When making fun of someone's spelling. You best check your own grammar at the door.

I also must comment on the "severely overweight dunces" statement. I have not heard such a stupid statement in many years. Are you seriously attempting to tell me that you have only ever heard "prolly" from overweight people? I actually use the term "prolly" myself. I do however fit your stereotype. I must not be someone you respect.

Thank you, Kumu

Kumu I love you.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I only have to add the following.
    This is an international forum. English is my third language. Sorry if I sometimes make a spelling mistake, I try not to make them. But have respect for other people who try to speak your language or do you rather prefer that we all start typing Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, ... or another language? And then start attacking you because you reply with poor grammar or spelling in those languages. The world does not revolve around English. It may happen to be the most understood language in the world, but it doesn't mean everyone knows it perfectly grammar- or spellingwise.
    Maybe we can all try to learn Esperanto or something, or maybe one of the Elven Languages like Sindarin or Quenya from the world of J.R.R. Tolkien. That will make it difficult enough for everyone.
    Also this is a game forum. Games are ment to be fun, likewise coming to read this forum I expect it to be fun and entertainment. If you want to be a spellingnazi or whatever other term is appropriate (don't want to disrepect anyone with this term), please find a more appropriate forum.

Salis

Mistakes from people whose mother tongue is not English are understandable, but usually such people are better at English than native speakers.

People who write badly only because they're lazy irritate me. Unless they prove themselves to be respectable for other factors of personality and capability, I dislike them by default.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    (Poor form to use the title as part of the first sentence in the thread.)(, )seriously. (Starting a sentence with a conjunction.)(T)this applies to the internet in general(Unnecessary comma.), not just these forums.

(I)if you expect people to take the time to read a thing(Unnecessary comma.), you aught at least do the courtesy of typing it legibly.

(Unnecessary double return.)
    (Starting a sentence with an adverb is frowned upon.)(A)also, ("I have" is more appropriate.)got a pair of specifics to nitpick here, (I've)i've seen the non-word "prolly" cropping up a lot everywhere(Unnecessary comma), and have this to say about it:

"(P)prolly" is not a word. "Probably" however(Unnecessary comma.), is a word. (T)the same holds mostly true for "posed" and "supposed" ((K)key difference being that while "posed" is in fact a word(Unnecessary comma), it is the wrong one if the sentence calls for a the usage of "supposed"(.)) (S)something (I)i have noticed about these two non-words is that they get used in spoken conversation at least as much as text. (M)my observations of their spoken use has been limited exclusively to severely overweight dunces who were so lazy they actually dropped entire syllables from their speech. (T)to see them suddenly come up in forums populated(Unnecessary comma.), mostly(Unnecessary comma.), with people (I)i at least respect(Unnecessary comma.), is disheartening.

When making fun of someone's spelling. You best check your own grammar at the door.

I also must comment on the "severely overweight dunces" statement. I have not heard such a stupid statement in many years. Are you seriously attempting to tell me that you have only ever heard "prolly" from overweight people? I actually use the term "prolly" myself. I do however fit your stereotype. I must not be someone you respect.
    I know this has been a dead thread for awhile. I just couldn't resist replying though since grammar and spelling are a severe source of irritation for me.

The "correction of the correction" is, in some cases, completely wrong. It's startling to see so many people that feel irritated about grammar and spelling yet seem to have a very shallow understanding of it. In other words: How can you be upset about something being wrong when you don't know what's right?

It just makes the reader feel as if you're looking for a reason to be angry.

Not, I'm sure, the result you're looking for when you (whomever) post the scalding and sarcastic response to a thread containing perceived errors.

Irony CAN be fun!

*Goes off to look for the elusive post from the devs about the status of the plot auctions.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

I always try to write with the best spelling, punctuation and grammar I can. If I don't know how to spell a word, I look it up before I type it.

It is unfortunate that it is so common for native speakers to write with incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation.

I cannot stand the way single letters (and even numbers) are substituted for parts of words or whole words.

In the case of people who are not native speakers, errors are certainly acceptable but native speakers should at least attempt to improve their standard of literacy.

While it is fine to make the occasional error, people do not seem to be overly concerned about writing properly.

I would certainly like to see people make an effort to write in the proper fashion.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post

Elder and Wise. As any and all will tell should ye seek, I lack much. And skill in Common not least of that lack.

So mayhap I be one of those ye would chastise and castigate, a fair target for thy fleer and scorn.

But that I am less than any other... this be but the nature of things that are. That perfection is not mine... I find this none of that unexpected.

That Wisdom is thine... as each eye sees it, so let it be to that sight.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save the Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

I want to add, even though it's not easy to read Sephiranoth's posts, I always enjoy them

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ost_comment_on

a fitting place to post this, i thought.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ost_comment_on

a fitting place to post this, i thought.....
    That was pretty funny until the following line: "there is a strong possibility he will inadvertently post the comment twice." At that point it became hilarious.

*Loves The Onion*

Thread Information