Thread: Put back the mini install for game download

Default Put back the mini install for game download

There used to be a small download for the game available on the download site. This download seemed to only install the minimum to launch the login page, at which time you could "patch" the remainder of the game.

This file is no longer available on the website. It was nice for hard drive reformats where you had to reinstall, but had all the directories backed up.

Please put it back.

Default Re: Put back the mini install for game download

I remember having this up on the site when I started playing the game. As I recall, it saved my computer's life, because we lost power 2 or 3 times while I was waiting for HZ to download (we had (and still have!) a slow connection; it would have taken 12 hours to get the full game!). If I had been downloading the full installer, then it would have kept needing to be started over... so yeah, I'm glad they had that as a choice.
    <----clicky!

Default Re: Put back the mini install for game download

The smallest "install file" would be a batch file that created a Horizons folder then generated a reg file that inserted a value that pointed at the new folder. The next time you went to log in via the website, all game files would be seen as missing, and downloaded.

Mostly off the top of my head, I think it would go something like:
    Code:
    @Echo Creating Horizons folder.
    @MD "C:\Program Files\Virtrium"
    @MD "C:\Program Files\Virtrium\Horizons"
    @Echo Creating registry file.
    @Echo Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 >> temp.reg
    @Echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ArtifactEntertainment\Horizons] >> temp.reg
    @Echo @="C:\\Program Files\\Virtrium\\Horizons" >> temp.reg
    @Echo Importing registry entries.
    @regedit /s temp.reg
    @del temp.reg
    @Echo Launching IE.  Use the web based patcher to complete the installation.
    @start iexplore http://play.istaria.com/
    @pause
    Eventually I suppose the ArtifactEntertainment registry path will change to Virtrium, and the Horizons folder will be Istaria (at least for new installs)

Thread Information