Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Istaria Wiki

Default Re: Istaria Wiki

A good MMO related wiki we can learn from is the WoW wiki.
    This page lists good looking wikis to learn from as well.

We need to develop a favicon so it's not the default. This needs to be something non official, yet related and easy to identify. The wiki should not be confused with something official.

I'm re educating myself about CSS. I learned a little (very little) during high school, which was years ago.

Two links with good resources I found, lastly.
    1 2
    Nisse 100 Helian/Nissei 100 Lunus/SShiak biped (All on Chaos)

Thanks for the links, I found out where the Monaco.css file needed to be created and have made some (very bad) color changes to the site. More importantly, I now know how to change every part of the page, so if anyone has any suggestions/requests/ideas for better layout/colors, feel free to speak up.

And again, I apologise for my awful color combinations...
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Wow, that's so much better already than the white! *thumbsup*

I think it's a fantastic start! Here's a little something you may or may not choose to use -- I altered the logo to hopefully blend with your color scheme.

http://www.sygnus.org/pic/istarialogo.jpg

If you do wish to use it and need alterations, let me know.

Also, I think a banner type image across the top of the main page would be nice -- maybe just an altered screenshot would work. I'd be willing to help with graphics if you need it. I'm a little rusty on wiki coding, but if there's something I can do, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Aywren View Post
    I think it's a fantastic start! Here's a little something you may or may not choose to use -- I altered the logo to hopefully blend with your color scheme.

http://www.sygnus.org/pic/istarialogo.jpg

If you do wish to use it and need alterations, let me know.
    Well, since you are offering bwaaaaahahahaha *evil laugh*

Wikia is quite specific about the size of the logo in the top-left - it must be no more than 135 x 155 pixels. That's why the current Istaria top-left logo looks so weird, I had to try and resize it and it just doesn't look "right". The text is slightly blurred and the edges aren't sharp at all. If you (or anyone can do better, please do! My image-editing skills are on par with my CSS skills i.e. sub-amateur lol

Also, I think a banner type image across the top of the main page would be nice -- maybe just an altered screenshot would work. I'd be willing to help with graphics if you need it. I'm a little rusty on wiki coding, but if there's something I can do, please let me know.
    That would be fantastic if you could make a banner image, there are some examples of what other Wiki's have done on this page. The only request I would have is to try and keep it "skinny" so it doesn't take up too much real-estate. Then again, I have always loved the Tazoon banner image on this site...

The top menu bar on Wikia is rarely used (i.e. the one with "My Home", "My Talk") whereas the menu bar underneath with "Edit This Page" etc is heavily used. I have full control over colors for the menu bars so there is no real restriction on what image could go there.

I wondered if there was a size restriction for the logo. Resized and a bit better quality than the first here:

As for the banner, I'd be more than happy to assist. Maybe folks could suggest what sorts of images/screens they'd like. It could be one or even a collage of different images put together. Whatever you feel is best. I fiddle with things like this all the time for my own sites. I certainly don't mind helping.

The banner needs to sum up the ideals of the game and its community quickly.

So perhaps something with dragons and bipeds working together. A little crafting, a little adventuring.

Hm... it appears that the wiki puts a white box around the logo. I didn't know it would do that. So if you'd rather have a white background for the logo, I made an alternative. Thanks for using it!

Thanks for supplying it

I don't get that white border around the image... what browser are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    Thanks for supplying it

I don't get that white border around the image... what browser are you using?
    I'm using Firefox... and strangely, the border is gone now. Maybe I just needed a refresh. Looks great to me!

OK I made a couple of minor changes to image layout and put up a banner for the top. Also changed size of the Istaria logo top-left so it fills the side (stops background color from showing through). Might need a refresh of your browser to display...

Anyway they are super-easy to change now that I have figured out how on earth to do it and seems very customisable. I've roughly matched the colors on the community sites for the wiki where it made sense too. Feel free to send anything through that you think might look better!

Really attractive! I like the banner image across the top -- it's subtle but gives it a nice bit of color. It fits really nicely with the Isaria site design. Wonderful job!

It's just a thin slice of Tazoon, sized to fit. I was trying to fit in a character shot as well, but needs another photo for that I think

I would prefer a blended image showing different things like dragons, WA, locations etc but I need to do some more serious editing/blending for that to happen. Shouldn't be too difficult though.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

hey stale, might it be a good idea to add the spread the word stuff like the blogs, etc? maybe to the external links page (http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/External_Links)?

don't know how you feel about it, so if its not a good idea, forget i said anything!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Queen Velveeta:

The wiki is a community effort, if you feel it's worthy, by all means go ahead and make the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    hey stale, might it be a good idea to add the spread the word stuff like the blogs, etc? maybe to the external links page (http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/External_Links)?

don't know how you feel about it, so if its not a good idea, forget i said anything!!
    *all* ideas are good ideas!

Except maybe if they tried to re-make the A-Team. Not a good idea.

Ah pity the po' foo' who tries!

Seriously though, many thanks to all who've worked on the wiki, it's a great resource! :-)
    Last edited by awdz; October 20th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.

You mean like this? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429493/

"Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

gawd i detest jessica biel and her huge butt,
    but how awesome will liam neeson be as hannibal???????

and what's wrong with the a-team????? i loved those guys!!!!!
    okay, okay - it was mostly that rad van.......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Angry Re: Istaria Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

I guess there will be an RL experience of the Avatar of Pain watching that!

Thread Information