Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dryad "Wing Jump" ability (warning, explosive)

Default Dryad "Wing Jump" ability (warning, explosive)

I've heard all the lore and all the explanations and negativity surrounding why dryads shouldn't be able to fly.. but let's face it.. they can't even hover over water.

I recommend that they were allowed to have a timed ability (after a lengthy quest) to "jump" for short distances using their wings with an augmentation of magic. Distance being a relative measure considering their small stature. But enough to gain access to places they haven't been able to in the past and get over streams at least. Maybe rest in a tree while they recoup. See the top of a building for a change?

I'm not talking about sustained flight (although that would be nice to see for a biped race) but something a little easier to get in the near future.

The following considerations would need to be addressed of course:

Height (for lore purposes, no higher than the highest tree due to safety considerations)
    Duration of the ability effect (should be directly proportionate to the cooldown I.E. if the duration is longer, the cooldown should be too)
    Cooldown

So there you have it.

And, since this is such a touchy subject, please try to stay on topic and provide "constructive" criticism. If all else fails and you just hate this idea and don't want to see it in the game, give a reason why and maybe another alternative.

The best suggestions come from someone complaining about something and following it up with a solution. Nothing was ever resolved from just complaining.

Default Re: Dryad "Wing Jump" ability (warning, explosive)

The only reason that it's a sensitive topic is that dragons go through a LOT to get their flight capabilities and many are in my opinion a bit overprotective over being unique in flight. All know my main charactor is now an ancient dragon, with that said, I would also never want to see dryads get full flight like dragons. However similar to what Mensar said, I don't think it would be too much for them to be able to cross sertain otherwise unpassable terrains as a racial ability if true flight wasn't allowed, and if true flight was alowed, I wouldn't be totally against limited flight no higher than most buildings (some of those trees are pretty tall). It's not quite the same as dragon flight that way.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Don't know how you would make them be able to hover over water.
    Water has been busted for years and half the time doesn't even load up.
    I could only imagine the sort of coding needed to make that happen.
    As for the coding needed to make only 1 race able to float over water *shudders*

I'ts hard to use coding as a excuse out when one has played other games where this is a blatent common effect. Again I say the reason stuff like this doesn't get done that needs to is because VI doesn't have enough resources to make it happen. So we are stuck with sorry "magical" explanations for why things are the way they are. Oh, and yes, that's part of the problem, water has been broken for years. It should have been fixed allready along with many other bugs that have been around for years. Mabe if it wasn't broken this wouldn't be such a hard task.

* snuffles curiously*

heh from one of your comments I got this image of them being able to do like a 'chicken jump', they can't fly forwards (much) but spring into the air just enough to get on top of buildings (and make it easier to climb hills too of course), fluttering frantically before falling back down to their original height (or rooftop if thats the destination :P)
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

What about allowing them to glide like hatchlings will do in the future ?

Actually, not giving Dryads the ability to fly or hover or whatever was a design decision made when they were created. And that still stands. Dragons are the flyable race in the game and as noted they do go through a lot to get it.

Its an unbalancing issue, I'm afraid, despite its popularity among Dryad players.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Dragons are the flyable race in the game and as noted they do go through a lot to get it.
    But hatchlings will be able to glide without doing any quest, so why not Dryads ? They have wings after all, and gliding is not true flight.

Thanks for the reply, Amon!

*back to the drawing board, hehe

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Actually, not giving Dryads the ability to fly or hover or whatever was a design decision made when they were created. And that still stands. Dragons are the flyable race in the game and as noted they do go through a lot to get it.

Its an unbalancing issue, I'm afraid, despite its popularity among Dryad players.
    Ok cool, what about the idea about being able to cross water or mountains?

* snuffles curiously*

hey if Pixies start to take to the skys give the dragons the mortality opshion of eating them

*Opens mouth i love Fast food *

i am a agents this suggestion for the fact that its a long quest dragons must go throw to gain the path way of flight Political adv and what not
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Im no expert at lore. But I would thing dragons go thru alot because they cant fly when hatched.

When I think of a dryad it can fly from day one.

Not saying this is gonna change the owners ideas for the race of dryad. but I would expect them to fly if it were me.

That said why not cut off there wings and just make them little people so there is no more questions about flying

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    But hatchlings will be able to glide without doing any quest, so why not Dryads ? They have wings after all, and gliding is not true flight.
    Because all bipeds can get mastery of everything given enough time. Crafting, all combat. Bipeds can do near everything better than a dragon jack-of-all trades. Only thing a biped cannot do better than a dragon is fly. Give that up and what then?

As for the first part, hatchies are easily vulnerable during thier early days all the way up till 40. The uphill battle is paid off in true flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Im no expert at lore. But I would thing dragons go thru alot because they cant fly when hatched.

When I think of a dryad it can fly from day one.

Not saying this is gonna change the owners ideas for the race of dryad. but I would expect them to fly if it were me.

That said why not cut off there wings and just make them little people so there is no more questions about flying
    Maybe the lore of it is that the only reasons Dryads fly is because their wings interact with the magic of the land and if they went higher they could not fly. Wisp "fly" low to the ground so maybe Dryads have the same limitation. That would also explain why they can not fly over water because they would again travel out side the range of the high magic concentration needed for them to remain in the air.

I tend to agree that the draggies get the flight after a LOT of running around (working on a hatchie (35/35) atm), so leave the flight/long hopping or whatever to the dragons.

Now what I would like to see are RIDING CROPS AND SADDLES so we peds can take flight on the draggies
    What?!?! You mean I can kill things here too?!?!
    War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20
    100s-Outfiiter, Tailor, Jeweler, Blacksmith -- others 0-87

I see anyone approach me with tack and all that will be left is tack... and clothing bits.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Because all bipeds can get mastery of everything given enough time. Crafting, all combat. Bipeds can do near everything better than a dragon jack-of-all trades. Only thing a biped cannot do better than a dragon is fly. Give that up and what then?

As for the first part, hatchies are easily vulnerable during thier early days all the way up till 40. The uphill battle is paid off in true flight.
    I'm not asking for Dryads to _fly_, I'm asking for them to _glide_. Big, huge difference.
    The argument doesn't stand.

BTW that kind of argument irks me, if bipeds are so great, why don't you make one. Dragons are nit _that_ bad compared to bipeds, I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Justback View Post
    Now what I would like to see are RIDING CROPS AND SADDLES so we peds can take flight on the draggies
    Just try it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    I see anyone approach me with tack and all that will be left is tack... and clothing bits.
    Callak would not allow tack either, but he would allow bare back of friends, or if dragon back battle was allowed perhaps a saddle so they didn't loose their seating when he gets into combat, but I think all that is a long way off if ever even consevable for the game.

* snuffles curiously*

I'm not asking for Dryads to _fly_, I'm asking for them to _glide_. Big, huge difference.
    The argument doesn't stand.
    Yes, the difference between gliding and current *is* a big difference. With it coming for hatchlings, I'd like to keep it special for dragons- the hatchlings that live the first few parts of thier lives very squishy, it will be a welcome change. Give it to a biped also and it's not so special for the hatchling any more.

BTW that kind of argument irks me, if bipeds are so great, why don't you make one.
    I don't have the time for one. I've tried making alts to play to no end-bipeds included, but I always just end up on my main. In all the MMOs I've wandered, I'm a one-character person. Whatever my first character is, I'm with it till the end and no other. It's just the type of player I am.

Thread Information