Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name Policy Enforcement?

Default Re: Name Policy Enforcement?

Nothing wrong with "Kakashi"... different cultures/languages may have letter combinations that might sound "wrong" in English... how many English legitimate names are parts of foreign curse-words? We can't possibly think that our language is the only language in the world, surely?

I agree that "Arrrggghhh" is kinda stupid... regardless the reason. "Sleeper"? Eh... that's pushing it.

Alfred? Alfred is a common-name, even if it is from Batman. Unless he actually tries to play like he is from Batman, of course. But "Alfred" itself isn't copywrited that I know of.

And then, we have Draemora... who had to change her name to what was that again, Draexiira? *blink* Just because there's a game (Elder Scrolls series) out there (that likely came out after she even created her name!) that had a monster/species called "Dremora" ... her name was spelled Draemora if I recall... and yet they forced a re-name on her, which to this day I don't agree with. *shrugs*

I think there should be a naming policy, and I will report blatant violations, but I am normally more lax about names, I try not to be a jerk about it, but there are limits. As another poster said above, this is also a good test of someone's maturity. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post

And then, we have Draemora... who had to change her name to what was that again, Draexiira? *blink* Just because there's a game (Elder Scrolls series) out there (that likely came out after she even created her name!) that had a monster/species called "Dremora" ... her name was spelled Draemora if I recall... and yet they forced a re-name on her, which to this day I don't agree with. *shrugs*
    Ick I remember that. The name was originally Dremora though, to be fair, and was created after Morrowind came out (kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision 'cause my dragon is black and red like the dremora =B). THEN Draemora, and then I decided to change it to Draexiira (because it just sounds cooler and, let's face it - more original).

Funny thing is, the only reason it ever got reported was because I commented on someone else's name, which was so ridiculous I can't even remember what it was, and then she likely reported me out of spite. Dumbest reason ever.

/end drama

Anyway, if I see a really stupid name like BIGBAD DRAGON or something, I'm likely to report it. It's a roleplay shard, people.
    Last edited by Dremora; August 7th, 2008 at 07:56 PM.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    I don't know.... some of the recipies for rare that you get were from a character named "Kakashi" it sounds like a cool oriental name... until you break it apart and look at it:

Kaka - Shi (*just missing the T*)

Someone pointed that out to me... but that can't be any worse than someone naming their character:

Takashita (which is a valid last name)

or

Shitaki Mushroom.
    Kakashi, of course, being an Anime cartoon character for some kid's show about dragon balls or Naruto or something like that.

I always thought the person with the name Kakashi took it from the cereal brand Kashi, lol.

I'm lame.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

As much as I'd like to agree that a character named AAARRRGGHHH, Logitech, CaptainMorgan or having numbers in their name instead of letters can somehow be roleplayed into a good explanation.. Well..

I think randomly typed letters that weren't all caps might be.. in some small way, a better bet at being somehow RPed as dragon speak, or a viable name than either copyrighted, reallife or just plain silly names that I see.

The intent of my original post really wasn't to call someone out and put people on the defensive. It was to simply ask how to go about AMICABLY resolving the situation. The ripples are obvious when folks with these types of names log into the various chat rooms. I could see it if they were mules and kept in a lair. But with the level of expectations people have on the order shard for.. well.. order.. I'm not sure you're going to find too many supportive ears or minds for these types of names.

But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    It was to simply ask how to go about AMICABLY resolving the situation.
    What "situation" are we talking about that needs to be resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Alfred? Alfred is a common-name, even if it is from Batman. Unless he actually tries to play like he is from Batman, of course. But "Alfred" itself isn't copywrited that I know of.
    I never said 'Alfred' itself was copyrighted. But when it's added along with three other Batman characters. I mean, really. There's no denying where it came from...

I always enjoy remembering right after the game was released, I had to report a name. The name you ask... Hyman Buster...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dremora View Post
    I always thought the person with the name Kakashi took it from the cereal brand Kashi, lol.

I'm lame.
    I only made the comment as someone else pointed it out to me...

I said "What's wrong with Kakashi?"
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    I always enjoy remembering right after the game was released, I had to report a name. The name you ask... Hyman Buster...
    I recall seeing that dragon..."thats a name change waiting to happen"...

There was a gnome named after a implant of the male body also around the same time.

did I get a little kick out of it, sure, but I can see why those get changed.

as for names aside from stuff like that.

Name yourself as you will, expect me to take that as your first impression. I can see how roleplaying might be challenged in some cases. There is also an ignore function for a reason.

I'm not advocating ignore on name basis, just saying if it ruins stuff for ya, there are solutions barring name changes.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I remember those two as well :-)

Some others that got changed just after launch were "Kmart Employee" and "WalMart Employee". There was also a fellow named "Pot Smoker", or something to that effect. He didn't last very long either...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post

ummm - my hatchie on blight is mourningwood.....

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    ummm - my hatchie on blight is mourningwood.....
    He's lamenting the loss of a forest, right?
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    He's lamenting the loss of a forest, right?

heehee - an old AD&D druid name, originally 2 words, of course.....

(all my alt nicks come from my or my friends' chars.....velvet goldmine-odonald the elven thief became affectionately known [thru deeds too numerous to list] as velveeta the cheese queen - and istaria history is made!! heehee)

Don't forget that names have meanings behind them in any culture. Even if the name was taken from an anime, it's still a real name with a real meaning behind it. (For those wondering...Kakashi means "scarecrow" in Japanese.)

I´m not as tolerant as most of you are with that issue.

Like other things (in rl: E.g. the way one talks, dresses, behaves) it tells me something about this person.
    I admit, I´m a bit prejudiced concerning this-positive or negative- depending on the name.
    And if you all kill me for that: In my opinion it`s a matter of politeness and respect towards the other players and the game, to take some time and fantasy to choose a name for my char.

Another thing I'd like to see, is that people with ALLCAP names be asked to at least change their name so that only the first, or major letters be lower-capped instead.

Example:

DharSii is okay.

RANDOMJOE isn't.

I'm sorry, whenever I see an all-cap name, I just... can't take it seriously, esp when it is on an RP server.

report them all and put them on your friendslist to watch what will happen ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    Kakashi, of course, being an Anime cartoon character for some kid's show about dragon balls or Naruto or something like that.

The word 'Kakashi' means 'scarecrow'. I've never seen this Kakashi NPC, so now I'm wondering...does he have anything to do with scarecrows?

Thread Information