Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snooze Icon (afk, brb..)

Default Snooze Icon (afk, brb..)

Again and again I see situations where this would be awfully useful, and I guess it's worth throwing out there for any elaborations or thoughts. x:

A Snooze Icon.
    Pretty much what it sounds like. I know there is a box checked for 'I am away from the computer', but (for all I am aware?) it only sends an automessage if somebody sends the player a tell or something. I think perhaps anything from a simple animation of 'Zzz's floating from the players head, or a blocked cross sign to a whole emote would be a convenient addition. Just something visual that perhaps we could hotkey or have on tab that we could just quick click if y'know...the brother is crying or you've gotta go grab the door perhaps.

Comments, critiques..? Thoughts?

Default Re: Snooze Icon (afk, brb..)

Sounds cute!

maybe color change>.> kinda just black out:P
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

An emblem that can be equipped that says "AFK" etc
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

All of these are great ideas! Nothing quite like seeing someone nearby, swooping down to talk to them in spatial, then wondering why they are so quiet, send them a tell to get the AFK message.

Great... now I feel really stupid. I've just been talking to myself for the past 5 minutes

I would love something like this, can't count the number of times I've been talking to someone only to find out they're not really there.

I think it's a great idea. I know I'd use it a lot, with how often I need to address something in RL for a few minutes at a time. Not quite long enough to bother telling everyone that you're stepping away, but enough that they might get bothered by you not answering. Some little feature like this would work out well.
    <----clicky!

In game tech would be easy to implement the emblem thing.

Write a hotkey macro (if it could only detect keystroking) and if the game has not received any keystrokes / mouse strokes in a certain amount of time:

Text command /afk
    Equip Item: AFK emblem.

I could see that

Have the text of the AFK emblem read " is AFK"
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Love this idea!! I always /afk when I'm away, but that only shows people that I'm away if they send a tell. I always feel very embarrassed and rude when I miss someone chatting to me in /say or in chats when in reality I am not at my computer!

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Hmmm well.... for "plan B" you could always set up a hotkey that sends out a repeating message like:
    text command:"/say Zzzzz" or "/emote mumbles something about being AFK"
    wait
    execute hotkey

This will most certainly allow players talking in /say to know you are not around...... though might make everyone angry with the constant spamming. Especially if you are gone for a long time while in a populated area . Hehe but hey..... hearing someone snoring in RL is annoying too, it adds to the realism in roleplaying . ^^

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Just don't set it to fire every second.
    <----clicky!

I like the token idea.

Token of the Wandering Mind.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

"XYZ the Sleepy"

The emblem thing would be a good idea, maybe it switches automatically to that as soon as you do the /afk command.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

yes would be a nice emote and feature for afk

Oh yes, a some kind of AFK-emblem or a snooze icon would really come in handy.

One idea also came into my mind last night: A sleeping animation? Just like sit/stand one, but if there was a separate for sleeping.. for dragons it would look pretty much the same as sitting one, only their head would be resting on a ground. That would be cute!

Of course, this would require a bit more work to do, but.. just a thought.

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

All good ideas, especially the sleep animation and AFK emblem, but what about in channels? I'd like to see some sort of icon or name addition (or perhaps a color change?) to indicate in the player list of a channel what players have /afk on. Maybe a Player(AFK) or turn their name purple or something since color changes already occur in chat channels for admins.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Sleepy and BRB are really just forms of AFK. Either way you are away from your keyboard

Another I can think of is LFG for looking-for-group.

Emblems are quite easy to do though you would have to setup your own macros to equip them when typing text. We're open to others if you can think of any that are really needed.

By the way, for this type of thing that is kindof out of character, I would prefer in <>. ex. <AFK> or <LFG>
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

one game I played (and I'm darned if I can remember which one) would allow you to do custom afk messages.

you'd type /afk I'm just grabbing a coffee, back in 5 mins
    for instance, and the person sending you a tell would get your message back. It was really useful
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

There are quite a few games where you can customize the AFK message.

I have encountered quite a few situations where this would be very useful myself. Perhaps the <AFK> could replace the 'guild' tag of a player or somehow appear in a similar way (above or below guild tag, etc.). However, only players who have 'show guild' turned on would be able to see this (I personally like turning names off).

Another possibility would be to change the colour of a character's name to indicate <AFK> status. For example, an <AFK> player's name could be changed to black when they are <AFK>.

Just my ideas.

Thread Information