Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US08 Election

Default US08 Election

So how many recounts is it going to take to get McCain in? I feel sure that the 'powers that be' want him in. If Obama wins I think the 'powers that be' in the US will keep him on a tight leash.

By the way Stephen Fry has done an excellent series about America, although it's being screened over here in the UK so any of you in the states will have to see it on Youtube. It's called... err surprisingly... "Stephen Fry in America".

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VnnmnRmdM0Y

Rakku

Default Re: US08 Election

I really dislike these "Documentary" style shows. They invariably seek out the absurd. They look for the hunters rubbing deer feces on their clothes, the gamblers in Vegas, and the witches and say "Look! America!"...

They never really show the normal construction worker to show a hard days work, the travel home to be with the family and dog, the night out at the movies.

Why not show the outlandish transexuals, the freakish goths and vampire worshipers, the conspiracy nutsacks and call them all "America" too?

I really can't stand the outsider views of America. They know so little and act like they know so much.

Granted I can only garner a glimpse of what is said and seen in that DVD because it's only 1.5 minutes of teasing. Did he simply choose the most absurd in order to try to sell it and it actually shows the scientists smashing atoms at Fermilab? The car factories of Detroit? The industry of Chicago? The culture of Broadway? The museums and art galleries? The architecture? The nature preserves?...

Edit: If McCain is elected it isn't because of some "Power that be" other than "We the people".

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    Why not show the outlandish transexuals, the freakish goths and vampire worshipers, the conspiracy nutsacks and call them all "America" too?
    Aren't they? Sounds like "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" to me.

BTW, who are "the powers that be"? Phrases like that mean next to nothing, since everyone has a different idea of who it might refer to. Also, if the "powers that be" are really that powerful, how did (insert name of any politician you agree with) manage to get elected in the first place?
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    I really dislike these "Documentary" style shows. They invariably seek out the absurd. They look for the hunters rubbing deer feces on their clothes, the gamblers in Vegas, and the witches and say "Look! America!"...
    Tulips, mills, wooden shoes and cannabis, "Look! The Netherlands!"

"Normal" hardworking people live everywhere but they aren't interesting. So of course one looks at the striking and deviant.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

The same kind of people live everywhere else in the world in equal numbers if not more. It doesn't matter where you go, people are all the same when you get down to it.

And I really don't know how either candidate is going to help. Obama or McCain, we're still going to be in this cruddy pot for a while with or without one or the other. My two cents.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Unless we all vote for one of the non-republicrat non-democans that have nothing to do with same-ol' same-ol' McCain or Hussein.

Personally, I want to write in "None of the Above". Wouldn't it be neat if THAT won?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by Cgan
    Personally, I want to write in "None of the Above". Wouldn't it be neat if THAT won?
    Haha. If none of the above were on the ballot, odds are it would win.

All I'll say on elections is that on our last round, Homer Simpson was a written-on entry for a good many Americans.

I think that says plenty about what the majority think of both political parties.

Heh, I agree. I've never been fond of any politicians to begin with. Most are hypocrites and liars. xD

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post
    Unless we all vote for one of the non-republicrat non-democans that have nothing to do with same-ol' same-ol' McCain or Hussein.

HAHA that's actually a very good point. I'd vote for that. At least you get a choice... over here in the Uk we've got a tw*t that we didn't even vote for!!!! WTF.

Trouble is... when we DO next have an election in the Uk we've got a choice of Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest. I don't want to vote for any of them. We need an option not to choose... picking it would indicate to the wizards in charge that the current state of affairs is simply no good ... almost like a 'civilised revolution' or 'slap on the a$$' aimed at them.

And Kumu... well that show is a pretty Long series full of programs all an hour long. It's covered some topics that I didn't expect, and answered some questions about the American way of life that I'd not known before.

As for "I really can't stand the outsider views of America. They know so little and act like they know so much." ... well that really depends on who you ask. And remember I know you yanks have got some pretty weird ideas about us Limeys.

hmm.. Powers that be... well who knows who they really are. We've got them here too no doubt. I see them as behind the scenes people trying to turn events in a direction they see as benefitial ... like the aids that work to help the president anyway. Tough one to define...

And you're right about Obama and McCain ... I'm a bit shaky with both, but between the two I'd rather see Obama in the Big Seat. When I think of McCain I can only think of oven chips and Robocop 2.

Rakku

As an outsider I can say that Bill Clinton and the Democrats proved to the rest of the world that the USA can be a decent country that is not self-centered. As an outsider I wholeheartedly welcome the notion of the Republicans being ousted from power.

As an outsider I try to understand why all the Americans I know personally have voted for Democrats for the last two elections, yet the Republicans have won with what seems to be underhand tactics.

Then I see a video like this, and I realise why I don't know any Republican voters, and I can't help but feel sorry for the Americans who have to put up with such appalling attitudes on their home turf. Watch and prepare to cringe in disbelief: http://www.videosift.com/video/I-can...ng-named-Obama

Btw, while I know that the person being interviewed in that video is not representative of the whole of the USA, I do know that there are many more like her who have very narrow perspectives and therefore give the USA a bad name in the opinion of outsiders.

PS I have good friendships with quite a number of Americans and I would hate to think that someone perceives my comments to be an attack of some description. If someone somehow misinterprets my post, then I can only apologise.

Hey. Some of us are a good kind of crazy.

And that's not it.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Unfortunately, "None of the above, I want to re-roll my ballot." isn't an option. I think the way to look at it is "Who do I disagree with the least?" or "Who do I not want to get elected the most?".

Anyway, put some thought into it and go vote. Don't waste your vote by voting for Homer Simpson either. If you're going to write-in, at least pick a non-fictional person who actually meets the requirements for the position.

Make it your decision who you vote for. You're representing yourself, not someone else, not a political party, not your coworkers or your friends. Nobody is going to reward you for voting "right", though it may be wise to not talk about who you voted for, lest you be berated for voting "wrong".

However, declining to vote, while also your choice, is throwing away your opportunity to "do something". If you're not happy with "the way things are" now, well, go vote -- that's your chance to make changes. If you're not happy and you didn't vote, well, suck it up and stop complaining. Your inaction contributed to the situation.

It's really not that hard anyway. Stand in line, check a few boxes, and go on with your life. If you've got time to post on these forums, you have time to go vote. It's easier than getting the devs to do something and will have a far greater impact on your life. (Plus you're then entitled to complain. )

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

its very tempting to just throw away a vote and i have done that in the past....
    but now is not the time for that! please make yourself acquinted with the candidates and vote!!

personally, i believe mccain will not survive long in office and i consider my choices to be between palin and obama.
    palin scares the begeejus out of me (and this is a good ole southern girl saying this!) so i hope and urge all right minded americans to vote for barak!!

but whatever your choice, just make sure you get out and make one!!

right on, steel!! don't vote, don't beeatch!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

"None of the above"

I actually contacted the local elections department on that specifically. What happens to those votes? How are they counted?

There is no provision in election laws for "None of the above", and unlike some countries where a person has to get a certain percentage all votes cast, here it's just who gets more than the other guy.

"None of the Above" votes are totally ignored, they aren't even counted for statistical purposes.

I asked the person, so you're telling me, if 100,000 votes are cast and 51,000 are "none of the above' it means absolutely nothing. That is correct...those 'none of the above' don't even exist...as far as tabulations are concerned...only 49,000 people voted and it is out of those 49k that determine the winner.

This I think is WRONG. If people take the time to vote, 'none of the above' is not a negative vote...it's telling those running we don't want you period. Why should we settle for the 'lesser of 2 evils'? Neither of you are good enough for the job!

Granted, I don't like the idea of another year-long campaign, but maybe people running for offices would learn something if 'none of the above' could win.

Oh yeah...when 'none of the above' is in the majority...those that ran and didn't make it can't run in the new election...

my 2-cents...and **** am I tired of the ads on tv...gimme back something I can laugh at...sheesh
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post
    ... I can't help but feel sorry for the Americans who have to put up with such appalling attitudes on their home turf. Watch and prepare to cringe in disbelief: http://www.videosift.com/video/I-can...ng-named-Obama
    Appalling barely covers it, Tzael, and thank you for sympathizing. The meanness I see in my fellow American citizens at election time is always hurtful and shameful, and this year it is far worse. I fear our "true colors" are showing. The United States of America began with such lofty ideas...but a woman and a black man on the ballot, an event which should serve to demonstrate our open-mindedness and our many opportunities, has instead brought out the worst in us.

When I read phrases like "McCain and Hussein", written by a person I know to be intelligent and sensitive in other venues, I am naturally saddened. That, and similar comments by others are really quite revealing.

In fact, we Americans are greatly blessed to have several intelligent, capable persons willing to lead our country with what I am sure are the best intentions. We are further blessed to be allowed a viable choice in that, via our votes.

No matter what else we may or may not know about other countries, we DO know that this is not a universal right. We are very lucky. We are, alas, quite graceless in regards to our election year behaviors. As if that is not enough, this time we are also very hurtful.

My only real dislike about the whole voting thing is despite common thought to the contrary, we don't actually pick the new president. We're being asked to voice our opinion, yes- but that doesn't mean we actually have any direct say in who is chosen.

The Electoral College is what gets that say- those are the people that we pick and thusly trust to speak for us. Sometimes we make some pretty bad calls in who winds up there.

I'll vote on congressmen and so forth, but I really don't buy into the frenzy people whip themselves into over the presidential votes. Same with the millions spent on campaigning for votes that are just a passing note of opinion to the Electoral College. I'd really rather see that money go to something worth while over making ads to make themselves look good and the other party look bad; particularly when, as said, it all boils down to what the other people we've voted into other positions of power say for us. The Electoral college may not pick the one the people are pushing for; it has happened before. This is why I really hate presidential elections- that's an awful lot of wasted money when the ones we genuinely have say in are far less well publicized.

Quote Originally Posted by aine View Post
    Appalling barely covers it, Tzael, and thank you for sympathizing. The meanness I see in my fellow American citizens at election time is always hurtful and shameful, and this year it is far worse. I fear our "true colors" are showing. The United States of America began with such lofty ideas...but a woman and a black man on the ballot, an event which should serve to demonstrate our open-mindedness and our many opportunities, has instead brought out the worst in us.

When I read phrases like "McCain and Hussein", written by a person I know to be intelligent and sensitive in other venues, I am naturally saddened. That, and similar comments by others are really quite revealing.

In fact, we Americans are greatly blessed to have several intelligent, capable persons willing to lead our country with what I am sure are the best intentions. We are further blessed to be allowed a viable choice in that, via our votes.

No matter what else we may or may not know about other countries, we DO know that this is not a universal right. We are very lucky. We are, alas, quite graceless in regards to our election year behaviors. As if that is not enough, this time we are also very hurtful.
    Since when were humans graceful? Sure, it brings out some nasty values, but you can't bunch us all into that category. Elections are a delicate time, you have to overlook some of the crueler comments. Everyone has their opinion and they're entitled to it. That is one of their freedoms after all.

Well, maybe I'm just a foolish idealist, but this is the first election I can remember where I've not just liked a candidate, but been excited, even inspired by one. I do wish that more people were satisfied with simply disagreeing, rather than immediatly demonizing the opposition, but that's another matter.

I don't think either party has a monopoly on being right, any more than I think there's a "real America" that's somehow better than the rest of the country. "We the People" means the ones voting the other way, too...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

I suppose you guys are right.

Videos like that pick the dregs of society because they aren't normal and that is what draws attention.

I suppose I'm just hyper sensitive at the moment after seeing so many comments from many outsiders looking in that are so wrong it hurts to read.

I personally am voting McCain. I hear a lot of people who are afraid of Palin, and "He's not long for office". The sad thing is we have EVERY PAGE of his medical records. He is perfectly healthy and we have had an OLDER president. Also Palin is the only pundit that has ANY executive experience. I would be perfectly fine with Palin as president. I am afraid of Barack for many many reasons.

Least of all is not his huge string of more than questionable friends and acquaintances. Yes, I know that everyone in the world knows some jackballs but the list for Barack is staggering.

He scares me. Scares me to the bone.

His illegal alien aunt should have been deported the day she was discovered. As a resident of Arizona where illegal immigration is a large concern. Him having a relative in the states illegally shows me his stance on that issue QUITE clearly. And don't tell me he didn't know. I can guarantee that he knows.

Thread Information