Thread: Yet ANOTHER Vista plea~!

Unhappy Yet ANOTHER Vista plea~!

A full two days.

That's now long I've been trying to get this game to work with Vista.

I've been stretching the tiny bit of understanding of computers as far as it'll go, and my significant other, who is QUITE better with programs and such than I am, has finally thrown his hands up in the air on the matter.

I've tried the SP1 "fix".

I've tried the "force it to run through the .exe" "fix".

I've tried disabling the DEP.

I've tried unchecking the ".net" and "scan" functions when you go to start through Explorer.

I've got all the correct accepted websites and securities turned to where everyone says they should be.

I've seen so many other threads with technical jargon being flung around that it makes me want to gouge my eyes out in frustration as no one in my household can understand what the heck anyone's trying to say.

Someone.... please help me? I've got the game working alright on my other machine with XP, but the thing I'm trying to do here is get it to work on MY computer (my Compaq laptop with Vista installed).

This will be the deciding factor on whether or not I will pay to play this game, as my room mate will not appreciate me bogarting his XP PC for much longer.

Have I missed the threads where the developers seem to even give a crap about this issue? No offense meant to the DEV's of course, I'm sure you're all a very hardworking bunch and I respect your jobs quite a bit (I helped the DEV team on and off for a private Ragnarok Online server years ago). But from what I've seen, there's been no response and, most disappointingly, no FIX. Despite how common of a problem this seems to be. What gives? I'd LOVE to pay my hard-earned cash to play your lovely game, I really would, but I just can't unless someone can help me get this thing running with Vista.

And please, if anyone redirects me toward a thread with possible fixes, please please PLEASE translate into a language that non-programmers can understand!

Thanks for any potential help, condolences, or suggestions. I'm at my wits end with this game, and yet I still stick around and try to play. ;~; THAT'S how badly I want to make this work. *tears hair out*

Default Re: Yet ANOTHER Vista plea~!

Local office depot. buy xp or from a 3rd party company. thats my solution
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Rizo's solution is the best one sadly
    I am hoping this game will still be around and I will still be waiting for it when the next Windows OS is released. Hopefully then I can give Istaria my money too!
    I basically know how to turn a computer on and off, so for me I am not even going to attempt a Vista fix thingy. I'm starting to think they don't want our money? really??

unfortunately the Vista bug is a bit more difficult/complex than it would seem, at least that's my impression. As Rizo said your best bet is to get a copy of xp and either whipe Vista off completely or set up a duo boot.

The Vista bug is entirely complex because some people can get it working, some people can not. If it were a consistant issue throughout, it would be easier to solve the problem.

I basically know how to turn a computer on and off, so for me I am not even going to attempt a Vista fix thingy. I'm starting to think they don't want our money? really??
    I don't doubt that they are actually working on something to make the game compatible with Vista, but it will most likely be a while. You must understand that a fix like this is not an easy one, and Virtrium has limited staff. They are trying to fix the game (plot bugs), add new content to the game, get it working with Vista and who knows what else. It's not a simple situation, and I'm sure they would love your money, but they are probably putting the most effort they can afford into certain fixes, because they have to make sure they keep the player base they have so they can move forward and recruit new players.

I've done some programming before - a few small database integrated Java applets. I can't imagine what it would take to get an older piece of software like Istaria working on a system as restrictive as Vista.

I'm sure that they all wish they could wave the magic 'program fix' wand and this would suddenly work with Vista, but I can really only begin to imagine the headache it must be!

Tcei and Rizo:

You don't have any idea how much I want to wipe my system and replace Vista with XP. I've tried it before, but unfortunately Compaq seems to think that it should install drivers and hardware that -only- works with vista, so when I did get rid of Vista, installed XP.... lo and behold none of my sound drivers, wireless card, and a myriad other things would work! As soon as I wiped XP off my system and reinstalled Vista, it all magically worked again. It's crap, I tell ya.

Hrough:

I don't doubt that they're working on SOMETHING. At least I HOPE so. This game baffles me though! How is it that every other game I've put on this computer works just fine, if a tad slower due to Vista's RAM-eating abilities, and yet this is the only one that has issues? More graphically-intense and CPU-eating programs work like a charm and yet this one somehow hits a roadblock. I'm completely baffled.

I hear ya Ziirith, I had to do the same thing with my HP, I had to go out and buy a new network and sound card to get mine to work fully, then there was also having to download all the drivers for everything... Thankfuly my tech support acepts beer as payment

Haha man I wish I knew a guy near me to do things like that. I know one dude who could probably fix this whole thing for me, but he lives halfway across the country from here. XP

Quote Originally Posted by Ziirith View Post
    I've tried it before, but unfortunately Compaq seems to think that it should install drivers and hardware that -only- works with vista, so when I did get rid of Vista, installed XP.... lo and behold none of my sound drivers, wireless card, and a myriad other things would work!
    Check Compaq's support site and see if they have XP/2000 drivers for your model. Alternatively, consult the device manager and online to figure out what brand and model hardware bits you have. It is *very* rare that you need a driver provided by the integrator. In most cases, you can get the driver you need from the manufacturer of the device.

As far as the Vista compatibility issue goes, I've looked into it a bit with a debugger, and it's not one of those things that you 'just recompile' to fix. While the client consistently crashes while starting up, it does not crash at the same location in the program every time. I feel sorry for whoever gets to fix that, since those are the most frustrating bugs to track down. (The others are the ones that only appear when a debugger isn't running.)

Oh yeah, I know about that Steelclaw. I went through and downloaded all the software drivers I could from their site, but the hardware itself refused to work with XP in many cases.

Also omg, your icon makes me crack up every time I see it. XD
    Last edited by Ziirith; November 7th, 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Amusement

Quote Originally Posted by Ziirith
    Have I missed the threads where the developers seem to even give a crap about this issue? No offense meant to the DEV's of course, I'm sure you're all a very hardworking bunch and I respect your jobs quite a bit (I helped the DEV team on and off for a private Ragnarok Online server years ago). But from what I've seen, there's been no response and, most disappointingly, no FIX. Despite how common of a problem this seems to be. What gives? I'd LOVE to pay my hard-earned cash to play your lovely game, I really would, but I just can't unless someone can help me get this thing running with Vista.
    On the download page for Istaria:

To play Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted, we recommend your system has a minimum of:

850 MHz or faster Pentium 4/AMD Athlon processor
    1 GB or more RAM
    64 MB or greater supported Direct 3D and Hardware T&L capable video card / Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (with 2GHz or higher system processor)
    DirectX 9.0c
    All Current Windows Service Packs
    A DSL or Cable modem internet connection.
    WINDOWS VISTA CURRENTLY IS NOT SUPPORTED
    I don't think it's that they don't care; it's that they cannot do anything until there's a version that works with Vista, which I believe is being worked on.

I just hope that at the time that does happen, the game is downward compatible with Windows XP

Thread Information