Thread: Vista help plz im almost there

Default Vista help plz im almost there

ok ive been thru a dozen Vista help topics on this forum and done alot of what theyve said, ive disabled the DEP completely, changed the horizons.exe and HorizonsLauncher.exe AND SilentPatcher.exe to run as administrator on all of them, ive run the lancher and game seperately and then tried to log on on the website as one topic suggested, ive even changed the patcher so it doesnt use .net and ive 1 problem left, at the end of the patching process its says that it cannot download the files because it is denied access to c:/program files/Virtrium/Horizons/HorizonsLauncher.exe and i cant find a way to grant it permission, ive changed all the websites to full permission via tools internet options and done countless reboots and retries, and not 1 log in because it forces me to log on using the website since i dont have a character already created. Also on one of the site (heres where i think im missing something) theres a link to something which tells u how to get it running on vista but when i click the link it says the tutorial (which u had to download. it was in a .html format) has been deleted. Ill post the link to the topic in my next post.

any1 who reads this please tell me what to do next.

Default Re: Vista help plz im almost there

oh and do u need to download the mrvsct.dll file and put it into the folder or sumthing? if so can sum1 post a link since i cant find it anywhere on the forums

ps. i turned of the user account control and I managed to patch the game but the horizons.exe stopped working when the game actually started yet the launcher belived it to have launched, after a reboot manually clicking the Horizons.exe file did not bring up the loading screen followed by a message to play the game from the website as it had when i had turned off the user account control setting but rather gone back to its original problem where it says horizons.exe had stopped working ... help?

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

if you can login and get the patcher done, and are getting the box with the 'horizons.exe has stopped working' - believe it or not, you are in!

unfortunately, you will need to keep rebooting the machine and attempting to get in. at some point (and it can take days, believe me....) vista will let you load the game and get in.

i fooked up my settings and had to reboot wednesday......only took one reboot before i was able to play, but before that, it took approx. 3 hours over 2 days of constant reboots before i could get back in.

so, you are almost home if you get the 'horizons.exe has stopped working' error box. reboot until you are in, then avoid shutting down your system as much as you can. i so dread updates these days........
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    if you can login and get the patcher done, and are getting the box with the 'horizons.exe has stopped working' - believe it or not, you are in!

unfortunately, you will need to keep rebooting the machine and attempting to get in. at some point (and it can take days, believe me....) vista will let you load the game and get in.

i fooked up my settings and had to reboot wednesday......only took one reboot before i was able to play, but before that, it took approx. 3 hours over 2 days of constant reboots before i could get back in.

so, you are almost home if you get the 'horizons.exe has stopped working' error box. reboot until you are in, then avoid shutting down your system as much as you can. i so dread updates these days........
    so basically i need to have all that ive done, done; and eventually it will let me in if im persistant? Oh yeah i read something earlier that said that the crash is caused by a different thing each time which is what makes the bug hard to track down, is that right? If it is then surely the program that causes it would be the program that innitiates the chain of the event which randomly brakes?

oh and do i have to constantly go to the Horizons.exe application in C:/ and click run as admin every tiome i reboot? because that also seems to crash instantly all but once that ive ran it? (if so i take it that if id ran the patcher that time round instead of the Horizons.exe then i would be in the game by now)

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

1) yes
    2) yeap no one has been able to figure out what series of events is causing the problem
    3) gawd no! i always start the game from the secured website (make sure play.istaria.com is on your trusted sites list!). i don't use the folder launcher at all, so i can't speak to it, but i get the best and most consistant results from the website launch....

oh yeah by reboot do u mean actually shutting the computer off all together or just clicking play game on the play.istaria.com website after closing down the patcher and Horizons.exe?

p.s. thanks for ur help

p.p.s. do i need to have silent patcher running along side it?

as i said i go thru the website - i believe that loads silent patcher for you (i did not turn off the permission ability, i forget the acronym, vista has like a hundred - that popup that asks for permission to access a file).
    by reboot i mean restart......just keep restarting until the file takes.....

you are welcome

the good thing is Vista is almost dead compleatly and windows 7 will be out god help us if its worse than vista

Bill gates dose not wright to much code any more so who ever is responsible for the 2nd demon spawn knowen as vista (All 3 Incarnations) Most likly lost there job

Circlet city's fire dog will remove vista and put xp on it granted you have the disk for xp (Ligit copy) for around 100 $
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lightning claw View Post
    the good thing is Vista is almost dead compleatly and windows 7 will be out god help us if its worse than vista

Bill gates dose not wright to much code any more so who ever is responsible for the 2nd demon spawn knowen as vista (All 3 Incarnations) Most likly lost there job

Circlet city's fire dog will remove vista and put xp on it granted you have the disk for xp (Ligit copy) for around 100 $
    u kno XP was like this when it came out, it just seems to be a bit harder to make things compatable with vista than it does XP so its taking a bit longer for people to adjust, but slowly things are coming to terms with vista for example the assassins creed PC game is 100% compatable with vista with 0 problems that ive come across. so its just going in a vicious circle, i can bet that windows 7 will experience the same problems as vista and XP did before ir lol.

anyway sry for the rant, but anyway, should i be running with .net launcher or without it? both seem to work but ive not manage to log on and create a character yet (and 2 days of my free trial are already gone T.T lol)

do i need to have any of the programs in the horizons folder set to a different compatability such as windows XP (service pack 2) ?

oh yeah, im EU so can i actually log on to the Chaos server, if not how do i actually access the unity server because it doesnt give me that option on the play.istaria.com website when im creating a character
    Last edited by Siatharus62192; November 9th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.
    *!Click my egg and see what happens >:-)!*

Unity server was brought down about a year or so ago, all servers are US and available to anyone in the world. Just be sure to check Chaos as the server you want to log into and to launch from IE as the website is not compatible with Firefox.

kk thanks i use IE all the time anyway and only firefox when necessary ill just keep trying to get on anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Siatharus62192 View Post
    do i need to have any of the programs in the horizons folder set to a different compatability such as windows XP (service pack 2) ?

oh yeah, im EU so can i actually log on to the Chaos server, if not how do i actually access the unity server because it doesnt give me that option on the play.istaria.com website when im creating a character
    If you are former unity player have a look here http://community.istaria.com/pg.php/unity_transfer

Quote Originally Posted by Mairynn Nalnair View Post
    If you are former unity player have a look here http://community.istaria.com/pg.php/unity_transfer
    sorry ive never played on the unity server but thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post

This is not what I was hoping to hear.

I too have tried everything, and Horizons will not work with Vista. I will not play this game until they fix this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Defilade View Post
    This is not what I was hoping to hear.

I too have tried everything, and Horizons will not work with Vista. I will not play this game until they fix this issue.
    Yeah it's not always practical to use XP on some systems, and it's a c*** to set up on a pc with one hd partition with Vista along with all your stuff. Judging by the players lost by this issue, I sincerely Really hope that some serious dedication is put into solving this issue immediately after the next major content patch. While we're busy with that the business of Vista can be sorted out, even if that takes a while.

Rakku

Thread Information