Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Base

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Player Base

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    And lov, it is all nice what you say, but we are not here to give others a occupational therapy, if they want to play they play it, if they don't I won't carry all to their backsite on a silverplate.
    first off, remember, tak, that i love you and you know this! please do not be too peeved at me!

if you do not wish to assist peeps, that is your right and privilage, of course - but i thank god for the beloved blighties who felt differently about newbies when i was in that position.
    without the constant questioning and begging for assistance i did when i first showed up (hell, i still do it now, and i am supposedly an elder player! ), i would not the be regal personage i am now.
    and that is just for vel! now that i am playing mw, its even worse!

understand, i do know how painful it can be to undergo constant begging while you are trying to play, and i feel for you! do not get the impression that i am so goldenhearted as to not get frustrated by newbies as well.

our beloved game is a niche game. it most likely always will be. i am not an idiot - i know mere survival is the best we can hope for at this point in time. my personal feeling is that part of that survival is being as encouraging to newbies as you can be.

don't hand them the game on a silver platter, of course, but at least i try to find someone to help them if i can't for whatever reason. new students need a teacher or two!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I never said that I don't assist newbies, I answear them questions and help them if they want, my post was more aimed at the old-timers here that seem to have a "veteran-syndrom".

Those sit around and scream for new content when it sits in front of their nose, and expect that I and Lovwyrm should mouthfeed them with news because they are just to lazy to read the dev letter or annoucements. Such behaviour is just uncalled before because they know how the game works and know where to get the news. I will not encourage the lazyness of others, call me evil or something you want for that.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Calling for Vista Fix! (chuckles) Please don't remove the post!

Actually seriously, I did want to add that I've had a few people in WoW lately who have asked me about my dragon game and are really interested in checking out Istaria - until I ask them if they run Vista. They usually do - and then I have to tell them that they probably won't be able to play but they shoudl go ahead and try.

Its becoming mroe and more of an issue as people upgrade computers more and more - I KNOW you guys are working on this. I just feel as others do I guess, that it needs to be placed A#1Prority at this point if we want the game to really grow...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I'm sure they're aware of the playerbase Vista accessibility would bring. I'd like to see the problem fixed too.

They're probably like me with my C# homework: "WORK!WORK! WHHHHYYYYWON'TYOUWORK!?"

As for Free to Play, it doesn't suit the nature of Istaria. The gameplay style is much more involved that 'free' is silly. $15 a month at a constant rate is a lot better for this style of game.

I have played many Japanese/Korean MMOs that have the 'micro payment' systems where you can buy items with real money - I've found that I don't like the models where you have to 'rent' equipment every week or month, and only like it when I can purchase an item 'for keeps'. This takes a good sense of accomplishment out of the game though! Could you imagine what would happen if you could buy, say, novians with real money? Gah!

Istaria certainly doesn't feel like that type of game. Out of all the games I play, I like to keep Istaria as my 'serious' MMO.

Default Re: Player Base; Some uninformed speculation.

At the end of the Tulga era, there were some clever, and I think, inexpensive marketing maneuvers. Memory is a tad hazy now, but I seem to remember GUComics and MMORPG ads, some publicity from the Peter Beagle arrangement (I still mourn that lost opportunity) and the like. And it seemed to be working. Too well, alas, for it made Horizons a salable property... In any event, that push may serve as a guide to future viral/guerrilla marketing tactics. Or not. Virtrium seems to generate some innovative ideas...

From all that we've seen of Virtrium, I cannot imagine that they do not understand the importance of Vista compatibility. I don't expect any announcement until the work is essentially complete, and given the time, and Vi's track record, I would not be surprised at all if the solution exceeded minimum requirements. They do seem to like their little surprises.

I'd also guess that a more aggressive marketing campaign might be waiting for Vista...
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

I still play Guild Wars; it's Free to Play (caveat 1: You have to pay for the game up-front; less than $50 soon for the whole enchilada with all the expansions; caveat 2: some would argue that it isn't a "true" MMO, but when I can see more people in *one district* of *one* major town than I have seen logged into Order over the last year, I would wonder if the technical definition is really relevant here).

I would argue that it is light years ahead of Istaria in many categories, but not all. There's no crafting to speak of, and it is oriented towards small group action and PvP (though optionally). It's a very pretty game, and not much younger than Istaria.

To survive the coming years, Istaria is going to need a lot of work; a lot more than the current dev team can muster fast enough. Don't think for a minute that Istaria's niche will be lonely for too awful long.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Those were FAR from "inexpensive" ads. And those ads had little to do with the sale, also. The ad campaign was effective, yes, but if you look at the timing of a sale compared to the timing of when the campaign started, it is clear that the two were not connected.

Ad campaigns like that also aren't "viral" marketing, at least not as I understand it. They are targetted marketing geared toward people who you know specifically look for what you are trying to sell. Viral marketing, as I understand it, would be using something like You Tube (which we've done by posting the latest video on there), My Space and Facebook (again, we have sites for both) and other "non-gamer specific" social networks to get word of mouth out there.

Sites like MMORPG are great for reaching current players of MMO's. For the most part, however, Istaria has been in existance long enough that current players of MMO's have tried it, are aware of it already, and if they have any interest what so ever in where the game is going, follow it voluntarily. We do need to keep reaching those people with news, and are doing so when we have things that qualify as "big news" enough to generate interest. (For example, when the Labyrinth actually releases, we'll get good coverage then.) But what we need to reach now are those who have never tried Istaria before and are looking for a game that encompasses all that Istaria has to offer. Our best way of accomplishing that goal right now is through encouraging and helping our current players spread the word about our game with incentives to them, something we are working on for the early part of next year.

But as has been said, one of the stumbling blocks is definately being compatible with an operating system that has spread like some nasty virus to poor helpless computers all over the world. (Oh, my Vista-phobia is showing, sorry!) There is also the issue of how you create characters and first get into the game. And making sure our tutorial levels are up to date and solid. In short, we need our new player experience to be as rock solid as we can make it before we go chasing after new players... because otherwise we're only going to create a brand new group of people who have tried Istaria and aren't happy with it... and that's obviously not what we want to do.

Pharcellus, much of the money that NCSoft makes on Guild Wars comes from their frequent "for purchase" expansion packs and updates. They've released, what, 4 new "boxes" in two years. And while it is optional to purchase them, of course, it again is not "free to play" if you want to keep up with everyone else.

The game also released 2 years after Horizons originally did, and 2 years makes a VAST difference in the game development world. Look at the difference between the original Everquest and the original Dark Age of Camelot (also a 2 year development difference).

I'm not so much defending the game as I am pointing out that it is far from the "gloom and doom" picture that you paint. We can all agree that there is signifigant room for improvement in the game, which is why we're working on doing that. Progress is being made, however, and the results continue to pay off.

I say we should start a viral marketing campaign by whipping up a media frenzy over a game where you can play a /naked/ dragon who learns to /kill/ things.

Although I havn't been able to play since auctions because of heavy work demands, I am a recently returned player and the only thing that has caused me to stay with the game are the absolutely great folks in the guild I joined.

However, I would like to say that documentation for this game is a SAD SAD JOKE.
    Sure plenty, and I do mean "WAY TOO MANY", great players have answered my questions here on the forums and in game. I'll bet 3/4 of my questions could have been answered on the web if there was decent UP TO DATE info available. I swear if the Gamersinfo site ever goes off line this game is COMPLETELY screwed and a good deal of their content is out of date as it is...

This game has ZERO chance of adding a substantial amount of new players with out a massive web site up date and of course a fix for the Vista issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Sites like MMORPG are great for reaching current players of MMO's. For the most part, however, Istaria has been in existance long enough that current players of MMO's have tried it, are aware of it already, and if they have any interest what so ever in where the game is going, follow it voluntarily.
    I will politely disagree- I don't know if this is true mostly for the people that frequent such sites, but I've found that it's not true for many. I've introduced the game to the folks that follow my blog and I would say that while 90% of them play MMOs actively (some very passionately!) most of them were either unaware that Istaria existed, or were under the mistaken impression that it was no longer running.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

My original post was asking what the game plan was to increase player base... didn't mean to stoke the fire!
    Fierce Wyrm, The Annatar, Order Shard
    100 Adventure, Crafter and Lairshaper/Hoard 51 mil

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    F2P is a completely invalid option for a game like Istaria, Vlisson. I could write an essay to explain why, but it's not worth the effort since you appear to be the only one who needs convincing.
    just a thought - not the solution ^^

and yes i play a free2play game atm you can buy interesting stuff in the shop (prices are high, but you dont need them, and you are able to loot the most of it self)

In istaria the only problem is the plot/lair slot, you could buy it with a fee ^^ like now like Vela said :-)

but its good to know that the free2play system is not very popular here *g*

Quote Originally Posted by Enter View Post
    Although I havn't been able to play since auctions because of heavy work demands, I am a recently returned player and the only thing that has caused me to stay with the game are the absolutely great folks in the guild I joined.

However, I would like to say that documentation for this game is a SAD SAD JOKE.
    Sure plenty, and I do mean "WAY TOO MANY", great players have answered my questions here on the forums and in game. I'll bet 3/4 of my questions could have been answered on the web if there was decent UP TO DATE info available. I swear if the Gamersinfo site ever goes off line this game is COMPLETELY screwed and a good deal of their content is out of date as it is...

This game has ZERO chance of adding a substantial amount of new players with out a massive web site up date and of course a fix for the Vista issues.
    Just CURIOUS.
    Do other games have such GREAT documentation? (obviously not great enough to attract my attention or making me want to play it )

People are working hard on the Wiki and we have the great confectioner site, HCC and the mappack, a forum with mostly NICE people, so if the Gamersinfo site ever goes ofline we will be PERFECTLY fine.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enter View Post
    I swear if the Gamersinfo site ever goes off line this game is COMPLETELY screwed and a good deal of their content is out of date as it is...
    Perhaps you haven't noticed, but there's been lots of work recently on an Istarian Wiki. It's still in the beginning stages as far as content goes, but it's certainly more up-to-date than the Gamersinfo site and, I would hope, easier to use overall. Why not check it out, and add some content while you're at it?
    <----clicky!

well I'd say www.istaria.com should be revamped, cause it looks very unprofessional as stated in another thread. That was the first official page I visited when I discovered the game about 2 and a half years ago, and I'd probably have been on my way if I wasn't so dragon addicted.
    Vista fix is of course needed before any advertisement campain. I'd love to help advertising the game IRL though.

i think that an active game should be active on webpages/fanpages/magazines/blogs...

this is advertisement

why should a new player stumble over Istaria?

what keywords show Istaria if you use a searchpage (e.g. google)

I fear that only a few MMORPG Pages will show that Istaria even exists

I hadn't realised Istaria had it's own Facebook group. I've now joined it, and sent a message to twenty or so people I thought might enjoy the game. These are other gamers, who play the apps on Facebook - and less than 6 hours later, 14 of them have joined the group, doubling its numbers. I would love it if these people started playing, but it's a start that they have even joined the Istaria Facebook group. Come on guys, get networking - this way of advertising is free.. and if we keep the "wall" active, we may get more people interested, even in the state the game is in at the moment, it is still extremely playable
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

wow great work Arietna! this sounds like a good way to attract new players.

Istaria will fall with its new players (joining), not with its old players staying

I advertise for Istaria on the forums I frequent, and I've brought a few players over to at least play the trial period. Maybe some form of incentive would help encourage more people to spread the game through word-of-mouth? XD
    <----clicky!

Thread Information