Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vista Help

Default Re: Vista Help

Quote Originally Posted by Greenclaw1 View Post
    It also seems like Windows 7 will also be geared towards the era where we use software tools like word or excel by going to a web site rather than installing the programs on your computer.
    Yeah I've heard the same thing... but I wonder what happens if your net is down or otherwise unavailable? What if you're out and about with no mobile internet? Could you use a web version of Word over wireless internet? Would you want to? Could you afford to?

It almost seems like just another way to stop people copying the software, by removing the program from the machine so the code is always server side. Good idea, and potentially great for doing complex stuff on slow machines (with a comparitively fast connection). How far could they go with it? Games run on a server and you merely see the rendered picture streamed to your pc?

Re the current Vista... I'm using it to play Fallout 3, generally without issue. But the one gripe, which seems to be the game rather than the OS, is that after a few hours play it thrashes worse and worse until you have to quit. I think it's quite leaky with the release version. Would be interesting to try the same with Xp...

Rakku

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=19910

do the second to last post. and if you cant find netfx.msi download winrar or something and open dotnetfx.exe and extract it to desktop.
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

The Problem with Horizons vs. Vista and how I experienced it until today:

1. It's not about .net or something else... the patcher works flawlessly, even if you just install .net with windows update or something.
    2. It's not about Vista 64 Bit. The game can work in Vista 64 Bit. Of course it's still a 32Bit application and runs in 32Bit emulation mode, but that works, if the game starts up at all.
    3. For me it's working very recently after a fresh Vista installation. I experienced that three times, now... It ran for somedays and then stopped working, never been able to run hz again. I don't know what I goes so horribly wrong in that time...
    4. It's somewhere in the veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery beginning of the startup of horizons.exe... there is nearly no info.
    5. It seems to be a NULL pointer somewhere (because it's an violation at memory adress 0000000)

6. All that I read from the devs, till this day, is that they can't reproduce the problem.

7. I doubt that this will be fixed anytime soon... currently my strongest hope is for VMWare Workstation to get a decent Direct3D mode... they implemented some basic Direct3D features that let the game run in a VMWare, but it's near to uncontrolable today... but I think that will finish earlier than Vista support for horizons.

If the devs want me to do more debugging, I'm here and waiting! (I'd even try to fix it! Let me sign an NDA and send me the source code, I'll try my best... I studied computer sience for some years and have a computer that has the issue, this should be enough to fix the issue! Feel free to PM me.)
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    6. All that I read from the devs, till this day, is that they can't reproduce the problem.
    I think the dev's should grab an "off the shelf" gaming pc and try the game on that. I assume they're using dev machines with a dev toolkit on board and perhaps that has so many libraries ... Horizons has what it is looking for. Certainly none of the machines I have access to (5 all running Vista, some with xp dual boot) work with Horizons *At All*. Perhaps they would with brute force of constant trying, but ... just... No!

There's something funny with your systems dev's... you need to compare them with the average system we have out here.

Rakku

It worked again... yesterday I had nothing better to do and re-installed my vista system. Since then horizons is working again. Let's see how long it will last this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    It worked again... yesterday I had nothing better to do and re-installed my vista system. Since then horizons is working again. Let's see how long it will last this time...
    Has it gone through all its patching (Vista that is; SP1 etc) and then survived a few reboots afterwards? Does Hz's still work then?

Rakku

Yes, it went through all the patching... but I'm sad to say, that it lasted only two days, this time...

Today it's not working anymore... I stopped trying after 10 reboots.

tried to get on today stopped after 6 times:/
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Thread Information