Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a random thought

Default Re: Just a random thought

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    What would you like guarding fabric and food resource fields? Cause that is one big reason why ores have larger nodes, the majority are guarded.

I think Dim Wisps are already sized so there's small, medium, large. We need to do the rest.
    Wisps are sized? This must be really new.. so their names are "Small Dim Wisp"? Because if they are actually different sizes it's pretty hard to tell.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

But there aren't any! *cough*

The problem I see is, aside from making a swarm enemy similar to necroflies, the bugs would be unreasonably large. Though I guess we have gigantic spiders, don't we... *imagines an aphid the size of a dwarf* Yuck. XD
    <----clicky!

What would you like guarding fabric and food resource fields? Cause that is one big reason why ores have larger nodes, the majority are guarded.
    Whether intended or it just happened to work out this way, I already have spiders in my head as the guards of fabrics, so that'd be my choice for those.

Now, food I think has two suitable guards depending on the type of food. Meat resources could have wolf guards (maybe even werewolves at higher tiers). The most fitting guards I see for vegetable resources would actually be maggots, but those, as far as I've seen, only have two variations and that'd get old fast.

If in any way possible, I'd like to see maggot guards with a new texture or two to differentiate tiers. The HZ maggot was always a neat model, I thought, and you really don't see them past level 20 or so.

Edit: All of that is of course assuming that these guards must be picked from existing models and not suggesting totally new ones.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

What about cows that have more meat than a chicken ? >.>

Good point... spiders and stuff. Something we can work on, yes.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Good point... spiders and stuff. Something we can work on, yes.
    Don't forget to work on the matching massive cloth resources too .

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Please don't forget that making all decent-reachable resources guarded may be fun for the onlookers, but will not be fun for people that like to craft when they want to craft, and adventure IF/when they want to adventure...

What always strikes me is: go look at the resources that are guarded, while also having unguarded decent alternatives... there are no crafters there, unless perhaps a few of the kind that so far overpower the mobs that they can reap them in piles, making crafting easy... for them. But other then those? Hardly ever!!! So who-ever declares this guarding of resources to be such fun... ingame reality dóes learn otherwise imo...
    So please be cautious when considering these things. Perhaps here and there one large node, with one mob that has a very small aggro-range (so the player only has to fight if he wants thát node) would be accepted... not at all sure about more then that (talking ingame-reality here..., not talking brainstorming on the board )

I don't think there was any intent to take away unguarded fields here, Galilee. As far as I saw, the topic was if there were to be guarded spawns of cloth or food, what should guard those resources. I don't think the intent was to have all cloth and food resources guarded.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

the intent of the thread was to suggest there being larger cloth, and confectioning resources... i.e.: larger kenaf nodes, larger tomato vines...

the intent was not, as Raptress said, to take away unguarded resources... but that it be much like other resources.

Example: obsidian, there are both guarded and unguarded areas of this stone with the guarded ones having rich and motherlodes.

example of my suggestion: kenaf, guarded and unguarded, guarded with large and 'motherlodes'... unguarded, the happy kenaf you know in Heather

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

You know.. Gruoks would make a logical food guard... seeing as we have Gruoks spread through all tiers and I generally associate them with boars/pigs which for the most part are plant eating animals that root around forraging growing food and often are hostile animals

Soraii

I find it interesting that some want guards on other resources which makes things difficult especially those crafters that don't adventure.

But when it comes to removing nadia, many want to be able to just go buy them rather then hunt.......

This subject came up because wisps and fabric materials in particular don't have large/massive types.

Amon's response was because they're unguarded.

Fabrics and wisps do have guarded locations. Wisps in the forests are guarded by treants and/or oastics.

Fabrics are guarded by spiders.

There are unguarded locations also for these resources, just as there are unguarded metals, stone.

The food materials are largely unguarded.

Just for the resource fields that would gain "motherload" size nodes. As there is now, there are fields with no motherloads that have no guards. Just bigger gains with bigger danger really.

Soraii

Motherlodes and rich nodes have not been automatically tied to guarded fields up to now. There are multiple examples of this: slate, granite, iron, nickle, elm, copper/tin, sandstone, obsidian (perhaps no ML but certainly riches for this one), mithril, cedar, oak, yew. And not sure I haven't missed a couple... You just need to know where to look for them: the ML's and riches tend to be in further-off quiet fields where you have to work a bit harder and travel further; but there are no mobs.
    Then there are also guarded fields that know motherlodes and riches. Sometimes linked, as to ML's and riches, with unguarded fields of the same resource. Actualy the guarded might be less then the above unguarded examples - not more, anyhow. So changing this would be a change. And while change isn't per-se bad, or doesn't need to be: the fact of a change should always be looked at extra carefully as to it's possible gains and costs, imo at least.
    Last edited by Galilee; January 19th, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

Thread Information