Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just Wondering

Default Re: Just Wondering

At the Bristugo hub on Order shard we currently have a player built tavern and a player built connie and an Imperial Sir Aiden...

Knossos

I'm thinking only of Sir Aiden and the tech comp situation with the possible removal of Nadia.

Let's take Nadia.

Tech comps sit on her forever. You can go there and there will always be 999 of each comp available.

Now, not everyone needs those comps on each day of the week; they might not need them within 14 days. But, at some point in time, someone is mostly likely going to want to go visit Nadia (if comps are not attainable elsewhere).

I used to put things like 100 dire wolf fangs onto Sir Aiden. After 2 weeks; they're back in my vault.

Am I going to relist those every 2 weeks? No. In fact, so that I DON'T lose coin, I'm going to wait to see if someone asks for them on Market.

As there as been concern with players in different timezones being able to "hook up" with buyers/sellers, Sir Aiden was mentioned as a resource. Well, he's not going to be much of a resource if there are deterrents to players using him.

So, let's look at those deterrents. The one that comes to my mind is the listing period expiring too quickly.

But what is reasonable?

I would suggest that 30-60 days is reasonable in that it's more probably that some player would be needing some comp to make another piece of gear within a 30-60 day time frame. The odds of a player needing a particular comp within 14 days is, in my mind, far less.

I think, if it does not cause undue stress; that Sir Aiden's listing period be extended up until such time as the overturn rate on comps OR listings become unstable (like the situation we have in NT).

Also...could we PLEASE, PLEASE get our tiered filters working on the connies and tavernkeepers?

I agree Sir Aiden needs extended with Nadias removal, but don't see why your only talking him and not other connies Creme. They have the exact same deterent as Aiden does(too short of a timer).

I'm just not understanding wheres there any downside to extending it, its not going to end up as a storage spot like has been suggested, might it happen the odd time, of course, but by very few and id think none. If theres game performance issues it could cause im sure one of the three members of the team that have weighed in wouldve mentioned that as deal breaker, which in that case i may agree with them.

But with no possible downside i can see and a possibility( not guarenteed, but possible) of perhaps creating some sort of a economy again, i just dont see why theres any opposition for this.

I prefer to use a player made connie and not sir aiden. If something hasn't been bought in 14 days then sell something else, obvously no one needs it. And forms are a bad example since most in game have all forms. Quite frankly I cant store anymore, have to throw some away.

Yes the time has already been increased while I been here. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum
    I agree Sir Aiden needs extended with Nadias removal, but don't see why your only talking him and not other connies Creme. They have the exact same deterent as Aiden does(too short of a timer).
    Because the NT connie on Chaos is practically broken it's so overloaded with goods. Players use connies, they don't use Sir Aiden (very rarely).

And I specifically mention Sir Aiden and not the imperial connies because Nadia is ALWAYS available for comps to be found. Perhaps by extending the time limit on Sir Aiden will result in him being more stocked.

Supply and demand. If I put blue vex on aiden they gone in a day, IF I blight bindings they sit

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Not sure I'm understanding the question. What about them?
    If this suggestion is done, would anything be changed to built connies ? as Knossos said the Brist consigner is a player-built one.

Ok Creme thank you for explanation, thats the same reasoning i have for connies, but we dont have an overstocked connie problem on order. As far as im concerned its an understock problem on order.

But thats enough of this conversation for me, ive stated what i think, whats determined effects me in no way, i dont need coin or anything else. And my viewpoint isnt designed for people that have all the forms, its making sure theres stuff on connies for the couple new players who join order a week have enough chance to see what they need on a connie. And perhaps maybe get a few more people using who think current timer is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    If this suggestion is done, would anything be changed to built connies ? as Knossos said the Brist consigner is a player-built one.

Uhh Zexoin those woudln't be effected - Amon was talking about PUBLIC connies only (i.e. the ones built in to the game by devs...the ones associated with major cities, etc.).

Player built connies - even if open to public access - are considered private connies and so wouldn't be effected.

I like Amons' suggestion because it narrows down the places to visit and list at (though most people on each shard probalby have a favorite connie or two that they know almost eveyrone uses and noone else uses the rest anyway - so why keep NPCs around and connie listings that aren't being used anyway?) and also creates other town hubs that players can congregate at (with taverns and portal sites).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Crazy idea here, but WHAT IF.

1. There were ONLY three public imperial consigners in the world; New Trismus, Bristugo and a yet named/created Portal Hub.
    I'm not sure. I think the Kion Imperial consigner and pawnbroker both serve a needed purpose, especially if we see more new players.

When I was new to Horizons, Lesser Adaroth (Kion in particular), was all that I knew of Istaria. I consigned and bought many things from the Kion consigner.

I'm not sure how much the consigner is used now. Lack of a Kion consigner likely would not affect any player that has been around for a bit. However, as new players progress pass their New Trismus training, they will have to return to NT or be directed to a 'Portal Hub'. From a design point of view, I'm not sure this is good. The aspect and pace of the game really changed for me after my Kion days. Sure you go to other areas for quests, but there is something about that sleepy little town bustling with rustic activity that may be lost once players go to the 'Portal Hubs'.

But then again, I think I'm changing my mind even as I type this out. I started to go back and delete all that I typed above, but decided to leave it for argument's sake.

Most of a character's activity may still take place in Kion and Lesser Adaroth. I mean, how much is the connie really consulted for items on a regular basis? Do players stop by the connie out of convienience and browse the listing just to see if something is available that catches their eye? Is there a Pale Armor crystal listed that they weren't looking for but appears to be a bargain?

I know Amon's question was purely WHAT IF, but right now I'm kind of torn on whether the Kion consigner would serve better purpose to stay or be consolidated into an 'Imperial hub'.
    Last edited by GalemThawn; January 19th, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

personally - I could live with two .. New Trismus and Bristugo .. without looking at any numbers I'd estimate that Bristugo holds 90 persent of publically consigned stuff outside of NT which is there for the new players .. again 90% of the population is likely bound there too.

Well he said three...so...
    (and I'm not counting New Trismus but I guess you could)

You could have one in the Kion area for new players to be able to access stuff from there. You'd just have to add the Portal Hub part (and a tavern? I have no idea if Kion has a tavern not gone in years...)

You'd have one in Bristugo I assume since that's where there is already a portal hub.

And then you'd have a third one somewhere - perhaps even in the "most populated player town area" or something - portal hub/tavern/connie..

Or perhaps in the "most transported to NPC town outside of Bristugo" or something like that.

Or just the third one in Dralk or Chiconis to cover the dragons getting one - heh.
    Last edited by Frith-Rae; January 19th, 2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

The three we are considering are:

* New Trismus (for obvious reasons)
    * Bristugo (cause its a gate hub)
    * Aughundell (cause its close to tier 5 and cause its heavily used on order)
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I don't know if its a good idea to merge all consigners. In Vanguard they did the same, and I hated it. But it was always a bit difficult in HZ to find wares that are strayed over all imperial consigners.

On Unity kion was the main hub, all gathered there to sell and buy their wares, from lvl 1 to multicalssed bipeds, I miss those glory days.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Takora, if you miss those glory days, doesn't that suggest that you'd want fewer "hubs", not more?

I didnt say that hubs are bad, I am just not sure if it will help, but it is worth a try to make hubs or?

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I think everything would be fine with just those three imperial connies, Kion was a great hub when i was young too, but its not anymore. Never pass anyone ever on my way to monk trainer in a year.

Is there an imperial connie in bristugo now? If not I wouldn't want one there. Kinda defeats purpose of going to other towns or using player built ones

I dont bother to make items to sell on consignment because they usually end up back in my vault.

Why not have items stay on public connies untill sold or the account for that character expires? At the moment we all have a maximum consignment limit.
    Does this mean that the system is capable of handling the maximum limits of all acounts on the server. If not there would be a problem if we all use our consignment limit I suppose.

I cant see that it would be used as temporary storage because there would allways be the risk that someone will buy the item. As it is now if the item is not sold it will return to the vault anyway and thus be stored, even if the vault is over full.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Is there an imperial connie in bristugo now? If not I wouldn't want one there. Kinda defeats purpose of going to other towns or using player built ones
    Ar? You wouldn't go to other towns for other reasons?? The only reason you go to other towns is to visit all the Connies?? OMG I'd die..(lol) its the reason I use the website to check connies most of hte time.

I'll check Aug on Order, and maybe one other that's popular - and after that I give up. My computer can't handle all that porting and quite frankly I don't want to waste an hour or so trying to find something.

Player connies?? Never used one. And I never would check one unless I already had some type of clue that it had something on it I wanted. The most I've ever used player connies is with guild members when crafting to have a place to keep stuff we were handling back and forth with each other.

I like the idea of a centralized in-game-consignment system. Keeps everything in less places so you don't have to search around too much. That implies that there would be an increase in sales because sellers wouldn't have to try and sell them in different places (just three, or even just two) and buyers would again only have 2-3 places to check.

I mean it doesn't help new players if they are putting stuff up on say the Chiconis Connie, thinking it was just a good a place as any, and never selling anything because noone uses it. You have to at least have been in game awhile and/or care to ask around to know the "player hubs" that most players use when checking connies.

Honestly I can't see a real downside. But I'm totally open to hearing some.

(and to me not visiting a town because it doesn't have a connie doesn't make sense - most people on both shards are already using only 1-2 main hubs anyway...)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information