Thread: Hotkey bug, makes game unplayable for some

Default Hotkey bug, makes game unplayable for some

The game has been working good for me until today, suddenly my hotkeys won't work, they either are whited out or blank and when I attempt to drag a spell/ability on to them it won't work, I tried clearing them all then dragging ability/spell to hotkey...still couldn't access them.
    The only thing that works is logging out then back in, which after 9 times today got a big tedious. My friends and I attempted to play tonight and one of my friends could not access his hotkeys AT all...yes he could view them but could not use nor place abilities/spells on to the hotkeys. He tried logging in and out and it never worked. Finally in frustration he quit for the night and doesn't know if he wants to bother trying to play anymore. I really hope this can get fixed as spending time logging in and out all day to get to use hot keys is pretty damned annoying.

Default Re: Hotkey bug, makes game unplayable for some

:o A UI bug that is bothering me is I cannot add Silvanathan to my chat group list "friends". Wverytime I attempt to add him the game says "Cannot add player nil."

This started the day after I had added him. I have abother player in that group, and he is still in the list. I can chat and do tells to Silvanathan, just no friends list...

I remember seeing something about deleting cache files to make things "fresh" when you go to log in... I looked at the files... and I see that there are folders for each character and a local folder. the path to this is >Installed drive letter< c: Program Files\Artifact Entertainment\Horizons\prefs\

In the character folders are 7 text files with a .def extension and a hotkeys_icons folder. Thesedef filescontain variables for the the in game functions to call to.

The icons are saved in .png format.

But this issue is clearly not related to the graphic icons. Its most likely the def files being corrupt, damaged, or there is a difference between your def files, and what the server has for thoose listed commands.

I saw on a different forum to make a backup of the folders and when you have problems replace the damaged ones with the backups... But if it is a problem between the two, then I dont think this will fix it... Maybe a full scan before playing may fix it?
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

Torquil

@Seikojin

I think your friends list is stored server side. I recently installed Hz on a new system, and when I logged in my friends list was the same as on the other system. I did not copy any pref files, it was a clean install.

So it looks like it's a serverside problem. Best thing you can do is open a support case...

What shard do you play on? And have you submitted a support case?

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    What shard do you play on? And have you submitted a support case?

- Amon
    Um...by shard I am guessing you mean server? (sorry pretty new to game)
    If so, Chaos, and how do I submit a support case?

As to my friend above I also had someone attempt to invite me to a guild and they got an error saying I could'nt be found.Silvanathan Shandalar is my in game name.

ok I found where you submit prbs..i am Case : 71510

:o I reported my issues as well. Hopefully other players have seen these issues and found some easy fixes :)
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

I can't get added to peoples lists or guilds...everyone is getting a user doesn't exsist message..this sucks :(

Silvanathan,

I sent this to Smeglor and it helped him find a solution that will avoid this problem entirely (we hope) in the future. Your name will be updated with the next server reboot.

- Amon
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Gwareth
    Silvanathan,

I sent this to Smeglor and it helped him find a solution that will avoid this problem entirely (we hope) in the future. Your name will be updated with the next server reboot.

- Amon

Ok, awesome...thank you so much :)

:o On his end we deleted the servername_charactername folder for silvanathan and it did not fix the issue. It just made it more clear by not allowing anything to be dropped into the toolbar...Ken is in the same situation as silvanathan...

Thanks for the replies and information. Do you know what is causing the prblem? Or is it privy info :P
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas

i REALLY hope this hotkey prb is fixed on tues reboot...if not i'm uninstalling.
    this is becoming an ENORMOUS headache. I am SICK of constantly having to log in and out so i can use my hotkeys. PLEASE fix this. Meddik has the EXACT same prb and we're both getting majorly frustrated.

:o just a note, Sil means hes going to remove and reinstall the game...Ken may do the same too if tuesday doesnt help.

I have noticed onKens machine; signs around town have either winding or marlett font for the graphical text on them. he mentioned something about it being in a foreign language and it needed translation... I have a few different races I play, and they are all in english to me.

This problem would be client side no?
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas

um actually i meant i'd uninstall for good. its way too much of a headache to re log in and out 15 times a day. i love the game don't get me wrong, but the load times are long and having to re set hot keys is a pain in my elven arse :P

:o I know you andKen share the same problems... But I dont have any issues outside of some minor bugs... You know this will eventually lead to something on both ends... Something is going on the server and and something has to be going on the client end as well... I meanKen can play the game, has hotkey issues, and the font for the signposts in the game are a non english font. Its a symbol font. But he can fullscan no problem. So something is getting goofy.

It may have to do with the directory the game is in (weather its on the C drive or some other drive), it could be where your pagefile is, and a bigger hitter is what you have running in the background. I dont have anything running and disable my firewall to play without interference...

I dunno. Could be a myriad of things going on, and the hotkeys are an end result.. It could be on server end and tomorrow its all cleared up...

After tomorrow it could get worse...
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas

well if i do a full scan everytime it stops the hotkey prb, it takes awhile but beats relogging in 15 + a day :P

and I finally was able to be invited into a guild...kinda wierd, it allowed me to after i switched back to cleric from warrior

:o Silvanathan has made a new character after the update, and his default hotkeys are the same as his other character Silvanathan. This prolly suggests there is something wrong with the game writing tot he local prefs folder...

The fullscan may be needed to keep sil from experiencing problems... I will look into this further and post here...

~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas

I deleted Silvanathan, which kinda sucks considering the amount of time I spent on him, but he just seemed to be corrupting files..the hotkey prb is still going on etc..so I deleted him and am going to reinstall game...hopefully that will fix prbs *crosses fingers*

:o so far so good after reinstalling (didn't get the chance to t-shoot it through).
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin
    [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img] so far so good after reinstalling (didn't get the chance to t-shoot it through).

I can give them updates on my own prbs/installs, thanks And no not everything is so good so far. Inventory is now randomly not showing how much coinage I have, my guild name keeps not showing under my name (yes I have floating name and guild turned on...it works, then it just stops)(only relogging fixes but it ends up happening again) I had a prb in West Tanzoon yesterday that when it loaded I saw nothing but yellow color all arouind me, but could see the city on the map, couldn't move around as I couldn't see the ground..had to relog in,....so I am still having some prbs...just not the severity they were before...oh and one of my hot keys keeps loading in as #8, I have 1&2 loaded w/spells/abilities...#8 is blank.

Thread Information