Thread: Was was Zymosis?

Hybrid View

Default Re: Was was Zymosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Maybe if there's a 2nd round, it can be the reverse and drastically impact dragon stats and let bipeds be immune.

Perhaps then there won't be quite as many dragons talking about how "fun" it was.
    Pretty safe bet that we aren't. Three games to my knowledge have done a virus that spreads by being near other players. Horizons, World of Warcraft, and Everquest 2. The outcry in all three games was tremendous and it probably won't be done again in any of them.

It is a really neat gameplay mechanic and a great source of RP, but it is also very open to griefing and that has a major tendency to drive players away. Which is the last thing we want to do.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

*rumbles in laughter* I remember it very well.

Back on Earth when the message spread of the plague, the brave dragons ventured out to aquire the cure spell. I was back then a hatchling but had always a big heart. So we formed many groups of dragon medics that where all shoving the infected bipeds in the "zoos" in the racial cities. Two and more where standing at the entrance of the zoo and when a dragon had their spell ready the biped was separated from the "Herd" and cured. Other dragons where dismissed to cure the bipeds of the cities since they also spread the virus. But well it was a figth against windmills because some careless players still stodd around the pad and cried "OMG I AIM INFECTED HEAL PLZ" Doh!

It was hilarous, dragons with their biped "herds". It really looked like that. And it was amusing that the mightiest bipeds crawled to the hatchies to get a cure, when before they teased them how weak they where back than.

I also don't forget one year after logged an old player in with an infected alt that didn't had a clue that this char still had the plague, and all started again, thankful most where immune but it was still hilarous. Then the devs coded in that the virus faded after a time you where offline.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    I also don't forget one year after logged an old player in with an infected alt that didn't had a clue that this char still had the plague, and all started again, thankful most where immune but it was still hilarous. Then the devs coded in that the virus faded after a time you where offline.
    This also happened on Expance where Callak was hatched.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Speaking of which, a year and a half after I quit Horizons, I still have my trick-or-treat quest active! It was pretty awesome, actually, I was getting annoyed at not being able to find Zebeginia when the elders started giving me candy! Candy solves everything, and so I forgave them for not telling me that she was floating in the rock directly above my head...

....I hope the devs don't steal my quest from me now that I've said that D:

Nah, if you have a quest in your book, you're free to keep it or try to complete it. My dragon has the Saris blade quest from Kendra, a Dennison Jadefellow soul frag quest, and the zymosis immunity quests in his quest book, none of which I ever plan on finishing (even if I were able to).
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

If I recall, they only give me candy once anyway, so I don't suppose it really matters. I know now when I had to quit though. it was on the last day of the fall festival a one and a half years ago!

One of the issues with the zymosis was that you could give it to NPCs. Another was that as you cured one biped another infected would come along and instantly reinfect everyone else standing around that had just been cured. After a while dragons just got tired of it and only a few bothered to stand around curing people.

WoW had the same type of event about a month after we did and it caused the same sort of stink. I don't recall the EQ2 one.

Drev

The biggest complaint I heard is people would go afk on a portal pad, catch the disease, and spread it to anyone else who came through that pad.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    One of the issues with the zymosis was that you could give it to NPCs. Another was that as you cured one biped another infected would come along and instantly reinfect everyone else standing around that had just been cured. After a while dragons just got tired of it and only a few bothered to stand around curing people.

WoW had the same type of event about a month after we did and it caused the same sort of stink. I don't recall the EQ2 one.

Drev
    Sounds like it would have been a good idea to give a "cured" effect that lasted 15 minutes and prevented Zymosis from transmitting again during that time.
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Nah, if you have a quest in your book, you're free to keep it or try to complete it. My dragon has the Saris blade quest from Kendra, a Dennison Jadefellow soul frag quest, and the zymosis immunity quests in his quest book, none of which I ever plan on finishing (even if I were able to).
    I have a toon with the Saris Blade quest going, at the "Kill xx(number) Saris Zombies level 25 or higher" step. There are > level 25 Saris Zombies on ocassion on Trandalar, WD, ED wraith groups, but they don't count .

FYI anyone who has the old nerf bat quest going from Vrex, this one is completable if you get the quest to the point where it says "Kill an ancient mummy", and then do the Sslanis quest for either Militia Blade or Iron confectioner (forget which). One of those quests sends you to isle of the drowned, and an Ancient mummy spawns in the sugar cane, and upon killing him, he drops the "Broken Ancient Bat" you need to finish the Vrex quest Seems its the same mob that used to spawn south of Tazoon in the Desert ruins. Too bad they took those mobs out, that was a fun little area.

Thread Information