Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista Client?

Default Re: Vista Client?

Sorry to rain on the general parade of good news, but I'm still having difficulties, even running the vista client (Vista 64 Home premium). Periodically, I'll still get the msvcrt.dll error, and a new one that I had gotten a couple of times was a stack_hash1703 error. To get client running currently, I had to uninstall/reinstall .Net 1.1 and the associated hotfix before I could get the patcher to finish running. Also, UAC doesn't seem to like the game very much (granted, I usually have it turned off as a matter of course, since it makes mundane tasks much more complicated than they need to be), but since it was asked that people test it, figured I may as well make mention. That being said, when the client does function, I've been able to successfully login after up to two restarts, but no more. Will be submitting a support ticket in a little while with detailed error reports, to see if they can be of any use.
    ~Without death, life is meaningless. Without evil, good is naught but arrogance. Without balance, nothing is complete.~
    Archangelis Draconis: 100|100|100 Ancient Dragon, 26.8M Hoard GM of Venatoris Tenebrae (Chaos)

After installing the game, patching to blight (with all patcher options disabled), logging out again, patching in the dll files from 383.1.zip and running the game (with new launcher installed) using 'run as administator' (access was being denied before), it worked!

Kudos to the people who made this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangelico View Post
    Sorry to rain on the general parade of good news, but I'm still having difficulties, even running the vista client (Vista 64 Home premium). Periodically, I'll still get the msvcrt.dll error, and a new one that I had gotten a couple of times was a stack_hash1703 error. To get client running currently, I had to uninstall/reinstall .Net 1.1 and the associated hotfix before I could get the patcher to finish running. Also, UAC doesn't seem to like the game very much (granted, I usually have it turned off as a matter of course, since it makes mundane tasks much more complicated than they need to be), but since it was asked that people test it, figured I may as well make mention. That being said, when the client does function, I've been able to successfully login after up to two restarts, but no more. Will be submitting a support ticket in a little while with detailed error reports, to see if they can be of any use.
    Now I'm not sure, but if you ask me it sounds like you're using the wrong version of Horizons. All of those errors are errors you get WITHOUT the vista client, so maybe you just didn't install something right. If you're curious, stach_hash1703 is a DEP-related crash. It basically means DEP was preventing the game from causing the msvcrt.dll error but it didn't do it so well. Either way, check that you followed the process right.

OK just checking to see if i have this right.

1. Install game
    2. install new launcher - at this point i cannot run the launcher, the only way to patch is through IE, without the .net checked.
    3. log into https://play.istaria.com and "try" to create a blight char (or login to an existing blight char) - I don't have one - waiting for a copy, but I can try to make one.
    4. uncheck all patcher options (including - making sure to uncheck the .net)
    5. after client fails to load, install new 383.1 files.
    6. run new launcher and login to normal char.

Am I missing anything here?

I just received news that a new setup package was released for both the full game download and launcher upgrade - and that the critical fixes are related to Vista. Here's the release notes:
    ---
    1. Display warning when attempting a launcher upgrade if the selected folder doesn't contain horizons.exe or istaria.exe . If user selected invalid folder, setup would perform upgrade and then patcher would think everything was missing and open patching vortex.
    2. Request elevated privilege if running on Vista and UAC is enabled so that install into $program_files won't fail. This only applies if UAC is enabled and Vista for some reason doesn't figure out that the program is a install package - in this case, program files is not writable
    3. If permissions prevent setup from placing the installation manifest (list of files to install) in install folder, display error message. Now that elevated permissions are requested, this error should only occur if there's a firewall problem. Error message advices to check firewall

Non-Critical Fixes
    1. Required space listed as 2GB - the space required to download all files, Then install.
    2. Uninstall link in start menu fixed
    ---

The developer asked me to post these fixes in the Vista testing thread because the critical items fixed impact Vista testing. If you have any issues, please submit a support ticket at http://support.istaria.com

Thank you,

Istaria Support

Yay!!!!! the client worked!!! me soo happy now!!

Ok, I'm so frakkin' confused now.....

1. Downloaded game via Bittorrent (Setup.381.34.7.exe)

2. Downloaded patcher update (Setup_Launcher.exe)

3. Downloaded Vista patch (istaria-383.1.zip)

4. Did a clean install of the game using Setup.381.34.7.exe. Made sure there was nothing left of the game on my system prior to doing the install. it installed to C:\Program Files\Virtrium\Horizons\

5. Run Setup_Launcher.exe and it installed to C:\Program Files\Virtrium\Horizons\Istaria\ .

6. Click the 'Run Istaria' icon and start the launcher (there is a second icon labeled 'Run Horizons' but it points to the old IE website).

7. Login with the new launcher, select my character on Blight, click the 'Patcher Options' button, nothing is checked, click play and the patcher tries to download all 37,912 files.

I am running Windows Vista Home (not premium, but not basic either) with 2GB ram.

So what am I doing wrong??

Please help ... my computer with XP died and I really want to play again
    Last edited by Justback; April 6th, 2009 at 04:12 AM.
    What?!?! You mean I can kill things here too?!?!
    War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20
    100s-Outfiiter, Tailor, Jeweler, Blacksmith -- others 0-87

Greetings,

It sounds like your game assets are not located at:
    C:\Program Files\Virtrium\Horizons\Istaria\
    Look in that folder and confirm it is missing a folder called "resources"

You don't have to install into the horizons folder anymore, so I'd suggest going with a folder structure that is as clean as possible. Below is my Vista install folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\install\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\resources\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\prefs\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\version_info
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\world_cache

I'd suggest you confirm your folder structure looks like that and then go from there.

You have the order of things right, though:
    1. Install full game
    2. Install patcher update
    3. Install Vista patch
    4. Run launcher.exe and make sure full scan is disabled.

We can work with you directly if you submit a support ticket at http://support.istaria.com

Yfelvik
    Istaria Customer Support

Well decided to give this a try...after lots of resetting permissions on the directory and such...FINALLY got the patcher to run. Unfortunately, it's still gonna be a while before I can test it out...installed from the original CDs and I've got 9699 files and 355048KB to patch...

Guess I'll give it a whirl sometime tomorrow...but will be nice if I can play this on my laptop...means it just might be possible to hit a cafe once I move to Alaska and play on occasion.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS View Post
    Greetings,

You don't have to install into the horizons folder anymore, so I'd suggest going with a folder structure that is as clean as possible. Below is my Vista install folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\install\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\resources\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\prefs\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\version_info
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Istaria\world_cache

I'd suggest you confirm your folder structure looks like that and then go from there.

It may be worthwhile to point out that the folder structure example referenced above is for a 64-bit system. On a 32-bit system there is no C:\Program Files (x86)\* ... folder.

Quote Originally Posted by phreekbird View Post
    OK just checking to see if i have this right.

6. run new launcher and login to normal char.

Am I missing anything here?
    IIRC from your previous posts you did not have an existing Blight character. If that is the case you would not be able to "login to normal char". as that would not exist on Blight and if done correctly, that is what you've patched to. You'd need to login a newly created Blight character.

So, I should go in and delete the version of horizons I installed from the old disks?

Just realized I had been doing all my download and such via firefox, will try IE tonight.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Death-knell -- download via torrent, much, much faster. (I do have cable, so was faster for me)
    What?!?! You mean I can kill things here too?!?!
    War-85, Dru-45, Cler-20
    100s-Outfiiter, Tailor, Jeweler, Blacksmith -- others 0-87

Quote Originally Posted by Skaladar View Post
    IIRC from your previous posts you did not have an existing Blight character. If that is the case you would not be able to "login to normal char". as that would not exist on Blight and if done correctly, that is what you've patched to. You'd need to login a newly created Blight character.

So if I'm understanding this right - using the current test here - after its done we can NOT play on our regular shards for right now?

Just checking before I do something that makes something explode
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Justback View Post
    Death-knell -- download via torrent, much, much faster. (I do have cable, so was faster for me)
    Not a big fan of torrent. Used it for a while and never seemed to give me anymore speed. My question was more on the lines of scrapping the old disks or not.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

The torrent on the site is also outdated.

Currently the best method for downloading the game (and yes this includes from discs) is the resumable download that we offer.

It has been getting great "reviews" from those who have used it and it is much more forgiving than ever.

So I would say the disks can go unless you want to make a mobile out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post

Currently the best method for downloading the game (and yes this includes from discs) is the resumable download that we offer.

It has been getting great "reviews" from those who have used it and it is much more forgiving than ever.

I tried that over and over this past weekend, which is why I went with the old disks.

I'm not blaming anyone, it's just it downloads and installs and then errors out for missing launcher.exe and such.

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post

Actually that reminds me, I have a bunch of beta disks as well around here somewhere. It was that first shipping fiasco for beta. The first disk I got was partially shattered and I requested a new one. A few days later another one came. So I was good to go, then a week later 2 more arrived.

So if I can find those I can make a mobile out of them

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

I've just got to ask.. you have submitted a support ticket, right?

Okay...got the game working and even logged into Blight...

Verified all boxes in the launcher are unchecked and went to log in to order and the launcher started checking for files to update.

Does this mean that for now with this Vista client I can only play on Blight? (on my laptop that is)

Also...the loading screen shows the client as 382.17.1...and yes, I unzipped the 383.1 into my horizon's directory
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Thread Information