Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racial Quests - AE

Default Racial Quests - AE

We've begun work on racial quests. We will be adding quests for six tiers of racial abilities per race. This will take quite a bit of time, and will be introduced as each quest is completed and tested. What I am interested in learning is what you believe appropriate racial abilities would be for each of the eleven races. Feel free to be as conservative or wild as you wish, since this is the place for suggestions.

David Bowman
    David Bowman

Most likely in a crafting field somewhere

Default Re: Racial Quests - AE

To bat this off:

Dryad Ability:

Temporary flight, An ability that when activated gives a Dryad a limited time to be able to "fly" opposed to just hovering. At each tier the time can be increased, as to how long they can fly for.

Nothing huge like Dragon flight, just being able to scale the occassional cliff face etc.

Give us fairies a little bit of Freeeeeeeeeeedom! [A]

Hey he said we could be wild!

Proud and loyal members of Battalion
    Xarii Ani - Dryad - Chaos shard
    Quazi Ani - Dragon - Chaos shard

Thank you, that is exactly the type of feedback we are seeking. Feel free to try the other 10 races, too.

David
    David Bowman

There was a thread in a number of racial forums created about this here is a copy of one post I made on the subject from This thread

-- Start --
    I'm 100% behind racial differences and I agree with Korsh dryads hitting as hard as Half giants is just annoying.

Racial quests are something I have been hoping to see for some time and am glad to see that AE have plans to do them already.

However I think the base racial benefits we get for being Half giants should be relplaced. Make giants daze auto hit. Make the health increase a percentage based thing maybe +105% health.

Every 10 or 20 levels for quests is a good idea. I would prefer more often (10) than less.

You have identified the main two stats which would be best to raise by quests I would also consider cold/ice resistance considering our home land.

I like the idea of racial abilities as well however they are useless to the pure crafter and you need to try and cater for both

Some Quest ideas.

Level 10
    Reward type: Health
    Increase: +20
    Quest Type: Kill
    Details: NPC applies a Low non removeable dot to the player then spawns a creature just outside town that has to be killed. If the player fails (ie dies) they don't get the ability and can not retry.

Reward type: Strength
    Increase: +10
    Quest Type: Fed ex
    Details: NPC dumps enough bronze bars to put you at 99% then sends you to a NPC craft trainer who uses bronze bars (blk maybe) In mahgra who gives you a recipt to take back and get the reward.

Reward type: Ability - Head clap
    Effect: 2 second stun, 30 sec to-hit and evasion debuff
    Recycle: 5 mins
    Quest tyle: Talk/Fight
    Details: NPC tells you about a Hermit in the mountains. You meat the hermit and he explains he knows of a technique he is willing to teach you but it takes practice to get right if you accept the quest you gain training head clap which makes a cool sound when it lands. He tells you to goto a near by area and practice using it in combat. After you have landed it 5 times
    you are prompted to return and recieve the full ability.

IMO these quests should be non retryable and failable

My only reservation is this will lead to more cookie cuttering but thats unavoidable.

---- END --
    Of course the levels were relevant to the discussion that was posted. If there is only going to be 1 racial ability per tier I would be inclined to boost the benefit granted for stat based ones and make them passive.

Additional suggestions
    Giant Gaze - The user targets a single mob and glares at it with intent rage, if the mob is smaller than the user it will break agro and head for the hills if it is larger it will accept the challenge.
    Giant Strength - 30 second self buff for +50% base strength -20% base dex 2 minute recycle.
    Thick skin - passive increase to melee and cold damage resistance.
    Dual wield 2 - For a short period the user can wield 2 weapons (one or two handed) each round will see 2 hits (one from each weapon). However the damage inflicted with each weapon will only use 60% of the characters strength.
    Earth Quake - The user stamps his heavy foot on the ground causing strength based damage to all opponents in an area of 6 and stunning them for a period of 3 seconds.

Thats all for now
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

if this light level at night wouldn't be able to be adjustable by pc ... I would say dwarfes can see in dark like day.
    Elves can sneak silently behind enemys or have a nature bonus?
    Hm.
    Satyr can sing and calm others? Or make others angry by tricking them basically? They should be trickser.
    Humans ... no idea about that. Those are hard at the UO shards already to give something race specific.
    Giants: can stomp with their feet to cause an earthquake? Or hit with their fist at earth?
    Dryads ... can hide very well in forrest/meadows?
    Saris, hm. Can hear very well or run longer, but we have already saris sprint. Maybe that they can bite? They should get a penalty with water effects but racial abilities should only be boni probably, yes?
    Sslik ... they can move faster when getting a fire effect? Like heating the body gives them a bonus? They are cold blood after all I would think.
    Dragon ... I'm out of thoughts there. Gnomes should be able to dig extremly fast into earth to hide, at least that is what I picture a gnome from old german stories, a race of little very wrinkled people, living under trees or in mines. Maybe they can dig stones suddenly and throw them or so. :D

Horizons Empire

I'd really like to see Sslik start getting better abilities in hot places, or various natural attacks, such as bites, claw attacks and even a leaping attack that stuns and does damage to an enemy...

Regen is a great ability, and I don't think you need various tiers of it, but I would like to see the armor bonus go from +5 to 105%, and having different tiers of this ability. Also, in keeping with the lore of my race, it would be nice to see bonuses in warrior and healing skills, or perhaps even a unique weapon, such as a warclub or a double bladed sword (i.e. Darth Maul's lightsaber style)...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Dragon Ability:

Dive/Charge Attack:Giving an adult dragon an ability to dive down upon thier pray to initiate the attack,striking a base damage to the target.

For the different tiers, two variables can change, the distance at which you can start the dive and a percentage damage increase due to this.

For hatchlings it could be a charge instead of a dive since they cant fly, but follow the same variables.

I think the first thing that needs to be done to help differentiate races is to remove the dinky +5 bonuses at creation and change them to something like 103% stat.

This was done for Dryads and is a MUCH better option. It allows you to actually have an ability that can SCALE with your character as you advance in levels.

It might not be a bad idea that at different points in these quests that that buffed racial stat gets increased.
    Dalthbar Bruisebringer
    Order [Spirit] Shard
    Mystic Blades

81 Fitter
    65 Spearman
    (plus a lot more)

Well Lunus could get a second ravage "ability" that increases its power at each tier of the racial quest. Or get a ravage that becomes more frequent recycle as they do higher tiers of quest. Or one ravage that gets added hits.

Helians a rooting spell that increases its duration / hold as they level the quest. Or more frequent prime bolts as they progress.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I'd like to see some more emphesis on the different races...

Dryads have boosts in focus and power (if i remember correctly) so give them racial quests that tie in with that.

Sslik have been abused/hunted until they hit Lessor Aradoth and now they live in a tropical jungle. So give them say resistance to flame/heat. Give them a sneak ability or short but fast burst of speed...possibly linked to what they used to escape all those many years ago.

Half-giants should be able to hit harder. Have quests that teach them how to make their fists harder kinda like hardened scales for dragons.

For gnomes, their lore states that they gave up some of their physical abilities in exchange for enhance mental ones. Again tie in the new quests...maybe they get a racial ability for +10 to anything that uses focus. Or a +10 to any craft school that they're in.

<shrug> most of my thoughts on the subject would change the classes so they weren't "equal" (ie the dryads hitting as hard as half-giants issues) but I figure having actual differences brings more depth to the game.

If a dryad wants to become a berserker, in my mind, they should have a more difficult time then a half-giant cause they're one-quarter the size. It should also be a bigger accomplishment for them <shrug>
    Gliding Frost
    Dark Defenders
    Adult May 16, 2004
    Ancient October 2005

Okay, I know that it is nota racial ability in the sense of the word, but I would also like to see a race specific class...One that doesn't share it's primary skill with another class...For example

Gnomes - Illusionist - The class is based around making enemies miss their target
    Sslik - Dragonkin - Monk type class that uses tooth and claw for it's weapons
    Dwarf - Shieldmaster - Carries two shields, uses them as weapons and defences
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Race: Half-Giant
    Ability: Cold Blood
    Effect: +10 Cold Resistance (Passive)

Since Half-Giants supposively evolved/were strengthened due to the weathered cold of Mahagra it would only be natural that they anf fiends would get cold-based resistances as Gnomes would get fire/heat-based resistances.

McD-Blight

Since my main character is a Sslik, I'll stick to them for now.

1) Some type of camoflage ability similiar to that of a chameleon.

2) Another form of sprint, about 1/2 the duration of the standard sprint that everyone has, but much faster....lizards can move when they want to . [:)]

3) A spitting attack that would have a chance of blinding enemy -- perhaps 30 second duration,actual effects would be -50% weapon/attack skill, -50% dex or similiar

4) A tail slap attack that would cause a stun similiarto half-giants daze attack.

5) As someone else mentioned, make the armor bonus scaleable. (ha, scale-able, get it? [:D] )

6) Amphibious--no chance of drowning.

Saris ability:

Saris Jump/Pounce: An ability that allows the Saris to jump higher/further, this would be a passive ability.

For each tier, the distance/height could be increased.

Or if you dont like the sound of that you could make it the similar to my previous post about dragon diving, Making the Saris able to pounce at thier pray to initiate an attack, hauling themseleves through the air into a tree......umm i mean unsuspecting foe!

:o Well I think there is alot of things that can be done to make a race more like it is (appearance, gameplay feel, roleplay feel).

I don't know if you can fight from the air as a dragon, but that would be nice.

I dont know what the other races have as of yet... So I will look it through and edit this later tonight.
    ~=Seikojin=~
    Horizons suggestions
    Dragon ideas
    Ill say it over and over until it is addressed...
    Take your suggestions here . Submit a help request and choose feedback from the list. They cannot ignore their inbox.

Dwarven ability:

Ferocious rage: This ability would alst for a certain period of time giving a dwarf the chance of hitting twise instead of just a single blow with any "normal" attack, it would only be effective at close range opposed to say archery/spells etc. Dwarfs are known to be fighters so this would make sence.

There are two variables that could change as the tiers increased, either the duration of the Rage or the number of hits the dwarf has the chance of hitting with.

Dragons:
    Limited action and attack in flight
    A real armor boost, to match the lore of dragon scales surpassing the greatest biped armor.
    A shorter breath weapon recycle that actually hurt.
    More varied 'primal' magic.

Sslik:
    An agility boost, as most reptiles can be quite agile.
    Some of the dragon physical attack (bite, tail swipe).
    Higher base armor (scales, even Sslik scales, are tougher than skin or fur).
    Dragon Lairs: Istaria's ghetto

Sipping The HolyBrew

well my thought is this each race has an ability that is passive and one activated but ever activated one takes 5 min recycle maybe some or one of the quests could reduce the time to recycle the activated abilities

Gnomes i see as little men that loved to tinker things and make things different maybe give them a bonus towards tinkering or allow them to tinker/summon a gnome specific device for fighting the gnomish evade of 5% is nice but that could go up drastically really a gnome and a dryad are both very small and thus more agile and harder to hit the evade should be raised possibly for both races majorly

dragons dragons need better armor base being a player of ADND and a lover of mythology one of the things that made the dragon the most hunted beast of all these tall tales were their SCALES harder then the stongest metel known to man, also in mythology no dragon would ever (unless provoked in their lair) attack on the ground they used their ability of flight to strike their oponite with breath attack and a swooping claw or bite before landing to finish the victem off

sarris sarris are cats very agile and stong jumpers giving saris the ability to do a flying attack would be nice maybe as the quest progessed increase the hight and damage done by the attack also maybe give them a natural bonus to attack with hand to hand combat (they do have claws)

sslik the sslik are lizards maybe give them the ability to breath underwater (86% of the worlds lizards are amphibous) also maybe give them a tail rake ability let them use their natural appendage to their advantage, or maybe a poison/acid attack natual

half giant a half giant is a cross breed of human and giant maybe give them a penality to casting (giants arnt known to be terribly smart) but give them a bonus to crush damage

dryads dryads have puzzled me for a very long time they have wings and hover ABOVE the ground yet are subject to the grounds speed changes (IE they slow down when not on a road) hovering should be considered a form of flight and they should not be hindered by ground terrain at all. also dryads in mythology have always been tricksters using their natural ability to blend with their surroundings to play tricks on others maybe give them the racial ability to turn invis/blend with their surroundings untill they remove it or attack

humans humans being the most abbundent race but shortest living race (technically) they have always had a driving force to learn improve and pass on knowledge maybe give them the ability to place structures on thier plot that contain trainers (teachers) at half the size (thus 2x the trainers) but make it so that ONLY human owned plots can have them. since humansare like the combination of all races together with all their weaknesses and very few of their strengths maybe give them the ability (per quest) to specialize in a specific field (a tag field) IE maybe 2 or 3 completeions can be used for statistics (including speed) and the other 2or 3 would be a tagged skill IE spirit in which they would either spend half the current cost to train in them or double the gain for the points spent but once selected you cant deselect it or must quest to remove it to place on something else (in which case the bonus to that skill would disappear immeadiately)

dwarfs have always been painted as the stern folk that love to workwith metel and stone maybe give them quests that would increase their bonuses to crafting classes that use metel or stone (armorer weaponsmith mason...)

satir or PANS have always been known for thie love of music from thefifes maybe give them a questto earn a set of fifes and whenever they use it (timer based short)dazzles a mob for a period of time. also being a race of goat people they are used to mountainous regions maybe give them the ability to climb steeper mountains and the quest would increase the grade at which they could climb

For Dragons, allow a Lunus Dragon to quest for the Ice Breath Weapon or a Helian to quest for the Lightning Breath Weapon, rather than the ones they are currently locked in to,if they choose. If they have already completed the breath weapon quest for their faction, thenthisquest would supersedeit.With thisDragons can choose the breath weapon that best fits them and their nature, regardless of what their philosophy might be.

Shargrym Stormscale
    Order

Andrew Zozulya

Could it please be realized in form of quest that will be given by some races but for every race that will get this quest? This is almost the same as rebalancing schools after almost an ear of play. This will devaluate chars of players who play untypical combos. Like Giant-mage or dryad-zerk. My idea is not about quests and tier of those but about possibility to get this quest for everyrace that will this... May be last tier of quests is possible only for proprietary race but everyother, please please make for every race this.

And as far everyracial ability schould be %based. I still dont understand why dryads get %based power slicks %based regeneration andother gets nothing %based?

Thread Information