Thread: Scale recommendations

Default Scale recommendations

Greetings all,

I was wondering if I might ask for some input from others regarding choice of scales for a Helian. I can manage the techs well enough as I'm not entirely new to the game, but I wasn't really sure whether to go with strength scales and tech for armor later on (after tnc, probably before dex), or vice versa (armor scales teched for str and tnc). I realize I could make both sets and try them out, and I'll do that if it seems split in opinions, but if there's a clearly sensible solution from those that have already done the work and I could get away without having to farm two sets of tech materials and all... well, I guess I can admit to being a little lazy. Any opinions are very much appreciated

Default Re: Scale recommendations

Are you a melee or caster? If you're going melee I'd go with str scales teched with tnc and dbreath as my primary set (Vel replaces Dbreath on my wings). I have a handful of other scales teched with tnc and various resitances to give me a boost against certain enemies.

I apologize if it was unclear, I am strictly melee. As my crafting level is quite a bit higher than adventure (and will likely continue to be), I should get most/all of the horde requirements to boost def and dbreath a little. It caught me off guard to hear you recommend dbreath tech though, I had thought that it would not be worth much since it only affects one skill but perhaps I have been way off in my assumption. My plan was to do str scales with tnc and def techs (spd on wings since I'm a simple hatchling), or to switch def and str. I'm certainly willing to change one of those to dbreath if that's what has worked best for some of you guys though.

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

For my melee characters I go with armor scales. Strength, TnC, and health for techs. Y'know, hit hard and stay alive. Also don't forget armor, weapon, jewelery crystals, those can give a much higher boost than techs alone and makes your scale set much more flexible. I did try out a scale set that had dbreath on them and it does make a difference, but with only one breath attack as a hatchling and all breath attacks on the same timer I really don't see a need for it. If they all had different timers then I think it would be more feasable.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

Regarding the crystals, I thought only our one armor scale can be socketed? Can others be socketed at higher tiers, or is there some other way to add those crystals in that I do not know?

You can add weapon sockets to weapon claws, and tool sockets to tool claws (have to buy the tool claw forum seprate) and armor and jewlery are for scales only if memory serves.
    Last edited by Tcei; May 9th, 2009 at 10:26 PM.

Foreleg and chest scales take Armour sockets and Head takes Jewelry sockets.

I have a melee dragon and have been doing an experiment with her....

for her, I have a Dexterity based set with T&C, Health, and Armor with sockets where appropriate, though on the forelegs; I have two sockets and T&C applied.

the changes I've noticed from the STR base with T&C, Health, and Armor is that I hit for max damage more often, the damage remains more closely together (i.e. Ravage: 176, 170, 165, 168, 173 as opposed one where the damage fluctuates a lot) as well as a much higher evasion score (yes, they do miss! its pretty cool to see 2 out of four hits from a mithril boulder golem's avalanche of ore miss; especially if said golem is Mhedon), so dexterity isn't quite as broken as some would think for dragons.

Just something I'm throwing out for your consideration ^^

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

A couple of you have suggested health as a tech for scales. This seems a little odd if I'm not missing something obvious since health only offers the same quantities as str/dex/etc, yet with training points you can get health significantly cheaper than any other stat or adventure skill type. Wouldn't it make more sense to focus heavily on health through training points and use the tech for str/TnC/dex or even armor?

I experienced its better to get health with xtals.
    I have NO tp on health.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Don't waste your tech slots with the health tech, it gives too less of a boost and the comps are just stupid to get. Rather put t6 crystals in your sockets, those give 150 hp per crystal. And don't underestimitate the power skill, it pushes your heals, breath weapon and even spiked scales, which is an important skill for melee dragons.

I would reccomend to get a armor set with following techs:

Head: Triple socketed, str, t&C and Health crystal = +65 str, +150 hp, + 33 T&C
    Chest: Triple socketed with str, Health and Power crysta = +65 Str, +150 HP, +65 Power
    2x Forelegs: HP, Str and Dex crystals = +150 HP, +65 Str + 65 Dex
    2x Hindeleg:Str, t&C, Dex = +50 str, +50 T&C + 50 Dex
    Back:Str, T&C, Pow = +25 Str, +25 T&C +25 Pow
    Tail: Str, T&C, Dex = +25 Str, +25 T&C +25 Dex
    2x Wing-fly: Velo, Speed, dex = +24 velo, +24 speed +50 Dex
    2x Wing-combat: Str, T&C, power = +50 Str, +50 T&C, +50 Power

Weapon claw, well try to get your hands on a demon claw, or use a triple socketed claw with str health and a dex crystal = +150 hp, 65 str, 65 dex

As for the Tps, drop all in T&C and Primal, primal is important that you can use triple teched breezes and heal spells also it pushes your heal output.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Scales depend on what u hunt the most

what u fight determent what techs your scales should be equipped with .

now hear are some pointers

Crush

Slash

Pierce
    These are the 3 most common types of base damage in Istaria i would use a resistance V tech Depending on what u most commonly fight. with the exception of the scales that can be socketed (Forelegs ) Str will make your damage more Pronunced so i would have that teched on your scales As sell as t an c , subbing Velocity for your t and c on your wing scales

So hears how mine look (all on armor scales)

Head = Triple Jewelry , or str v, T and c V ,BOF V
    Chest = Triple Vengince
    Wings = Str V,Velocity V,Crush Resistance V
    Back = Str V , T&C, Crush Resistance V
    Forelegs= Tripel Armor Socket
    Hind leg = Str, Crush Resistance V, and t and c
    tail = Str, Crush Resistance V ,and t and c

Obviously you will sub the Crush resistance with your most commonly received damage type

Highly encourage you have armor scales for battle

Also the choice of your cristals is important with this scale set up
    Seek out 2 of these Armor cristals Radiant Crush slash and Pirce crystals this will aid you in any type of combat a DRJC or LRJC are good to keep around and if your lucky enough to get a DDAC come find me lol
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Some good basic advice here already. Additional tips:

Don't bother teching health. Use health scales and training points if you want to boost that.

Triple vengeance can no longer be crafted for the chest, but single primal vengeance, eminence, vital defiance can be made.

Once you get to tier 5 scales (level 80) make 2 sets of wings:
    1 pair with speed, velocity, t&c
    1 pair with t&c,str,other for combat.
    Use hotkeys to toggle between the sets. t&c on the speed set in case you forget to toggle, or are hunting fafnir.
    Last edited by Guaran; May 11th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Thread Information