Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

Default Re: Dwarf Fortress (more time wastage ahead!)

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfSuns View Post

Edit: Oh man. Seriously? What I'm doing right now would make the most epic story ever. First there's all of this alligator wrestling and then I come across a legendary alligator just after I slaughter a ratman by beating it to death with alligator-chuks. So now I'm wrestling a legendary alligator in a cave somewhere and I wish I'd made this into a story! It would be so awesome!

I wonder if this is the same aligator that fled from the fort during my turn, wonder if that terror will ever return. What was the legendary Aligator's name?

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    I wonder if this is the same aligator that fled from the fort during my turn, wonder if that terror will ever return. What was the legendary Aligator's name?
    Actually, in my few wandering adventures I've killed about 6 legendary alligators, but none of them were the fabled "Ringfears" that you met. I opened up legends mode to check and he's apparently still alive somewhere in the world. Where, I do not know. I would assume he's living out his time in the marsh somewhere, though he could be anywhere by now.

Meanwhile, looking up the history of the adventurers I made has turned up some interesting results. For example, the Dwarf I made that got owned by a golbin fortress was later impaled on a steel spike as a warning to other would-be goblin slayers. Also, the nickname of the human alligator-wielding death machine that I made was "The Severe Swallow of Equality" (he died when attacked by like 5 elves at once).

Pretty neat, really. I'm going to go lurk around the fortress of Towerreleased and try to find that alligator...

I tried to play a little bit but ended up getting horribly confused and lost at how to play the game... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    I tried to play a little bit but ended up getting horribly confused and lost at how to play the game... lol.
    Trust me in 1 thing. If you want to play the game...
    Start out by using a graphic pack so that you at least know the difference between a tree, a bush or even grass.
    And in combination with various tutorials you will slowly learn the game.

Personally I would prefere playing with better graphics, but it appears that it hurts my FPS big time (after 4 ingame years constantly <20 when at start 150-200).
    My current fortress will probably last 6+ years now (I hope) simply because I am less annoyed by my FPS.
    I am however still hoping that the dwarven merchants go berserk on the edge of the map when they carry an anvil (which I dont have yet... sigh).
    Or I should just let them in soon... After I build my underground trade depot linked to the outside world by a 3-wide corridor filled with Weapon traps (10 glass large serated disks each).
    Goblin Stew anyone?
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

A tip to anyone who likes playing adventure mode: Save frequently. That way, if you die from some random BS (which happens kinda semi frequently), you can just ctrl+alt+del the game and load back your character. I for one am not going to waste forever making a legendary adventurer just to have them die from a lucky crossbow bolt...

Since we're still waiting on someone else to come play, I thought I might share something amusing with you all. I'm currently playing Fortress Mode with the save file from my last game (although I abandoned that fortress and explored it with adventure mode, so this is a new fortress).

Anyway, up to 3rd year now and it's pretty quiet. Just got another wave of migrants, and lo and behold, one of them walks in, spends not 5 seconds in my fortress, and gets possessed! Fastest possession ever lol

It's a clothier too, so I can just see some gem-encrusted underpants coming from this...

Actually I have taken it upon myself to download the save and play for another year.
    Downloaded it last night, got it to work this morning and start playing in about 8 hours from now after work.

Anyway I am currently trying to fix up an Istaria Mod for DF.
    Got several goals for now.
    1. Insert total of 11 different) "friendly" Civilizations (including Dragons) (Dwarfs as playable civilization).
    2. Insert total of 2 (different) "evil" Civilizations namely Undead and Ogre's (although might place multiple Undead civilizations eventually).
    3. Insert 4 mega beasts (so far General Reklar, SD, Seliena and Umyarr).
    4. Change the native DF animals into Istaria native animals.

I have absolutely no experience in modding anything so it might take a while.
    Especially since I have to check and double check every raw file for things that are usefull or not.

Although in my enthusiasm I do have some things completed already yesterday.
    1. With Dwarfs, Humans nothing changes and with the Elves I still try to determine what makes them tree huggers… Is it the [WOOD_PREF] ? checked the Civ.Forge mod and those high elves didn’t have that tag
    2. Undead civ: Orc mod used / Ogre's civ: old Goblins civ used (kobolt civ removed).
    3. Mega beasts body and creature file completed so far (although might have to be toned down a little since I made them a whole lot stronger then regular megabeasts and haven’t tested them yet).
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Hmm, sounds interesting. I've never tried to mod DF before either, but I can probably do it pretty well, being a programmer and all. Might be able to squeeze in some time to help amidst uni and whatnot...

Still doesn't change that I'm utterly confused in this game, mah brain's too tiny to learn it. Lol. :P

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

heehee with ya on that, rune - its way too scary for me to even gather the courage to check out!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    heehee with ya on that, rune - its way too scary for me to even gather the courage to check out!!
    Indeed, although I want to read more heartshadow journals.

Succession game year 4
    1st Granite 204 – 1st Granite 205

Rvlion’s Journal late winter 203.
    Lately I have seen our “happy� leader a little restless and I wonder what is bothering him. All has been going well so far I and am happy to be away from all the hardships of leadership. Let others take care of everything and let me dig I always like to say.

Rvlion’s Journal 1st Granite 204. Spring
    Ironhand asked to speak with me later today and it is really bothering that I don’t know what he wants. Did he get a complaint about me or is it praise… Will probably discover it in a few hours.

Just came back from my meeting with Ironhand and I am not sure I liked what he had to tell me… Apparently his year is over and he chose me to take over from him. I did everything but beg for him to reconsider, but he wouldn’t listen. **** it that my people are so stubborn. Good thing I insisted on finishing my previous job before going to see him. Now I can at least start this “challenge� without being bothered with unfinished business.

The first thing I decided to do was make a list of important things to do for the next couple of days.
    1. Give the order to dig many new bedrooms since we don’t want to have a future wave of welcome immigrants and potential friends sleeping on the floor everywere.
    2. Check the skills of my fellow dwarfs and categorize them accordingly so that it is easier for a stupid dwarf like myself to manage this nice looking fortress.
    3. Set up a nice glass industry and build some nice traps in case the cage traps fail us. (Personally I don’t like the idea of having our enemies in cages, the only good enemy is an "in 20 pieces on the floor laying" enemy is what I like to think)
    4. Finally carve myself a nice room considering the previous overseers made themselves one as well. Considering this is my 2nd year in charge I believe I have earned it.

Rvlion’s Journal 2nd Granite 204
    The whole community right now is celebrating the birth of a cute baby boy named Ingish Cattenurmim.
    His mother named Lorbam Ducimishen is doing great.
    No other things are happening so far… Who knows I might even begin to have fun soon.

Rvlion’s Journal 11th Granite 204

Today we received word that a group of Elves were spotted on the horizon to the south, long time since I had dealings with some annoying tree-huggers, but who knows that they actually carry something usefull for a change.

I believe I spoke too soon when I said all was quiet, together with the Elf caravan the goblins and some dwarven allies honored us with their presence with a squad from the west and the south.

Rvlion’s Journal 14th Granite 204
    After a long and fierce battle (until our champions arrived on the scene) I am afraid to say that the elves have all all died. The invading goblins were all completely annihilated together with their dwarf mercenaries.
    No deaths on our side.

Rvlion’s Journal 9th Slate 204
    A day of joy… or doom… Dungeon Master Urvad Nilnekut has honored us with her presence. Just between me and you I am happy she is at least a working Noble.

Rvlion’s Journal 26th Slate 204
    Today I received word that Zon Kivishaval simply dropped her work carrying all the dead elven stuff inside and claimed a leatherworkshop. Only the gods know what she wants to do… oh well, we shall find out soon enough I guess.
    When I checked up on her from a distance I saw she was busy working with 2 pieces of leather that were previously stored nearby. Only after getting closer I saw what she was really making… A very nice peace of Bactrian leather armor. After seeing the armor up close I was told she called it Odrozkan, The Fatal Tiredness. Not sure what to make of that name, but she is happy and appearently gained significant skill after she did, making her Legendary in the art of Tanning. Not sure what help that will be to the fortress, but I am happy for her.

Rvlion’s Journal 22nd Felsite 204
    Gave the order today for the construction of 10 leather bags to finally get the glass industry started, when my planning is finished we can use the ballista’s as a last resort if nothing else works.

Rvlion’s Journal 4th Hematite 204
    Another celibration today. Bim Ulabsolon has given birth to a lovely baby girl, both mother and child are doing great.

Rvlion’s Journal 20th Hematite 204
    Human merchants have arrived and appearently instead of dragging all our trade goods to the Trade depot most dwarfs are attenting a party started by Tcei… Not sure what they had to celibrate but I had to cut it short I am afraid. Many appeared quite unhappy about my decision.

Rvlion’s Journal 19th Galena 204
    Things have been really really quiet lately so not much to report, but today I received word that we got another citizen with what I was told is a strange mood, claimed a clothier’s shop and started to gather various things.

Rvlion’s Journal 7th Limestone 204
    Finally our moody Nish Sazirbuzat has collected everything he needed and started a mysterious construction. I wonder what he is actually constructing.

Rvlion’s Journal 9th Limestone 204
    Our merchant friends from mountainhome have arrived and started sending our “junk� towards the Tradedepot

Rvlion’s Journal 10th Limestone
    Nish Sazirbuzat finished creating what he calls is his lifelong masterpiece and what do you think it is? It is called Zimmondul Kosh Shosel, a cave spider silk dress. Also did he tell me that after he made the dress he is willing to make anything possible in the Clothier’s shop. I congratulated him and let him go to show the dress to his friends.

Rvlion’s Journal 13th Limestone
    Today a kobold named Klalaldus dared to enter our mighty stronghold… uhmmm well… it will be one day… hmmm.. anyway were was I ow yes the kobold thief… It ran into Libash Onuldallith also know as our mayor while he was busy constructing 1 of 3 planned weapon traps with 10 large serrated blades. He didn’t hasitate one moment and went into killing mode, the “poor� kobolt didn’t stand a chance. Oh well some more bones to craft with. Always look on the bright side of life right?

Rvlion’s Journal 15th Limestone
    Apparently with the arrival of the dwarven caravan a troop of kobolts have entered the area as well because today we have a second thief trying to enter the fortress. It was easily dealt with by Olin Rigothcatten.

Rvlion’s Journal 25th Limestone
    Today Tcei again finds the need for a full scale party and again I have to cut it short. Eventhough people mind find it terribly annoying bur frankly I don’t care. There is no time to party with so much work to be done.
    These last few days I have had a strange feeling that soon we will be getting guests. Although I have absolutely no proof for this. However it has been way to quiet lately.

Rvlion’s Journal 18th timber 204
    Finally something happens to break the boredom. Stukos Enamdastot who is part of the “metal�working group is running around the fortress with a strange mood. After taking 2 bars from the metal bar storage he started working in a previously claimed Magma Forge. I hope it will be something that I can dump in my room… but all I can do is wait and see.

Rvlion’s Journal 23th timber 204
    After many days of secretly working in the Magma Forge she proudly shows the beautifully crafted copper chain mail named Istrath Kebul, The Jewels of Sparkling. A good name for a perfectly crafted piece of armor.

Rvlion’s Journal 4th moonstone 204
    I am proud to announce the birth of yet another baby girl. Between you and me I think the women in the army have way to much time on their hands. 3 babies at this time in our beautifull fortress and the 2 mothers are both in the army. Oh well if they want to have fun in their spare time its up to them I guess.
    Another thing worth mentioning is that we have currently 8 weapontraps each with 10 large serrated blades and 1 more is currently under construction. Soon the Cage traps will be obsolete I guess unless there will be a large siege soon…

Rvlion’s Journal 19th moonstone 204
    The moment I was expecting to happen has finally happened. A goblin ambush. Thank the gods that 1 trap was still under construction and they were spotted before they might have evaded our traps. Going to place a guarddog near the entrance behind a Fortification in the hopes of preventing this in the future.

It was a terrible defeat for our goblin enemies.
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=1.jpg
    First 1 single goblin was stupid enough to walk in the traps, after which 4 more walked across together with as far as I can see 1 dwarf mercenary/slave/whatever.
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=2.jpg
    After this annihilation the remaining invaders ran like hell and will probably bring a siege next time. Not much is left of the dead goblins I am afraid. Maybe I will ask the cook later if he can make some nice goblin stew… Might be interesting with the right spices.

Rvlion’s Journal 21th Moonstone 204
    I am sad to say that we had an unexpected death today. One of the dwarfs from the Engineering squad died of suffocation. Dodok Okirzas… You shall be forever misses.

Rvlion’s Journal 15th Opal 204
    10 weapontraps completed, 2 prepared for construction and 1 guarddogs and 1 “guard�puppy at a newly constructed wall at the entrance.
    Rvlion’s Journal 20th Opal 204
    We have ourselves a true hero puppy. It spotted a goblin trying to sneak in and after that the trap was activated slicing it into multiple pieces. A kobolt thief managed to get through but was sighted by dwarfs and has been dealt with in the only way we dwafs like to deal with our enemies.

Rvlion’s Journal 18th Obsidian 204
    As of today we have the 4th strange mood in my year of being in command. Dumat Erarlikot has been taken by a fey mood. After a lot of running around aimlessly and bumping into half the fortresses population he claimed a Craftsdwarf’s Workshop…

Rvlion’s Journal 22th Obsidian 204
    As of today our moody dwarf has started his mysterious construction after collecting some appearently in supply stuff he needed.

Rvlion’s Journal 27th Obsidian 204
    Huray!! Another Artifact completed and as of now we have 2 Legendary Stonecrafters… Dumat Erarlikot has completed his mysterious construction and named it Dalzat Kednath, a Alunite Mug.

Rvlion’s Journal 1st Granite 205
    It is over for me so I have only one thing to say...

The End

My year is over and I surrender my command to the next person who wants to be in charge and I will give my report of things that happened this year.

- We had 1 Immigrant (Dungeon Master) and 3 births.
    - We had 1 unexplainable peace time death.
    - We had 4 additional artifacts and because of this gaining 1 Legendary Clothesmaker, 1 Legendary Tanner, 1 Legendary Armorsmithing and 1 Legendary Stonecrafter.
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=4.jpg
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=5.jpg
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=6.jpg
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=7.jpg

- Created an additional Refuge stockpile.
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=8.jpg

- Created 6 Magma Glass Furnaces, dismantled the one already constructed to have them all centralized.
    Set 2 for sand collecting, 2 for raw green glass construction and 2 for Large serrated blade construction

- Extended the entrance a little to still allow a caravan to pas through, but forcing enemies to walk passed 2 guard dogs behind Fortifications to decrease the chance of having sneaky thiefs, childsnatchers and possibly ambushes turn up inside the fortress passed all the traps http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=3.jpg

- Constructed 86 bedrooms, but not all furniture has been placed and some doors need constructing.
    http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/t...&current=9.jpg

- Constructed a room for both myself and the Dungeon master but still need furniture hauling.
    - Placed additional coffins down below to provide burial for our kin that went along the wrong path.
    - Had 2 ambushes. 1 in spring slaughtering the Elves but annihilated by the champions. 1 in winter being annihilated by my new weapontraps.
    - Constructed 14 weapontraps with each 10 large serrated blades, 1 still under construction. (if my successor wishes to build different items from raw glass I would advice to use the bottom 2 Furnaces currently used for the Blades)

Last but not least:
    Had the usual 3 caravans from which 1 was slaughtered.
    From the human and dwarf caravans I traded for many weapons, armor, food, wood mostly and ordered wood, weapons, food/drinks and some other stuff as well. (Steel bars from the dwarf liason, forgot to check for flux sorry)

To my successor, not many drastic changes been made except for loads of job switching, when I started it felt like every dwarf was doing everything. Using DF Manager I reorganized them a little bit, feel free to change it again. As will I when my turn comes up again.

As for the download link…

http://rapidshare.com/files/26417962...ssion.zip.html

It is the complete game as I played it.

I'll be a few days before I can play, but I look forward to adding to the madness!

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragon
    Still doesn't change that I'm utterly confused in this game, mah brain's too tiny to learn it. Lol. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    Ya'll might find these tuts good for gettting a basis for the game
    The Complete Newb Tuts
    The Vid Playalong Tuts

It is not as if we are on a real time limit, not like on bay12 forum were after a few hours someone starts asking.

And who knows Velveeta or Runedragoon are willing to give it a years chance...

If they are willing to try I dont mind waiting a little while longer, got Istaria to get back to and my attempt at creating the Istaria mod (on which I didnt get a chance to work on tonight... Oh well there's always another day... *sighs*)

Verry true

Also it is about time Wirevix pokes his/her nose back into this thread.

Had enough time to learn... Actually Wirevix was already playing before I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    And who knows Velveeta or Runedragoon are willing to give it a years chance...
    I would if I can figure it out... lol. Although for my journal logs I'd consider myself the queen of dwarves although you'd likely be the king.

Lets not get started on if velveeta plays. Cheese queen of dwarves ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    I would if I can figure it out... lol. Although for my journal logs I'd consider myself the queen of dwarves although you'd likely be the king.

Lets not get started on if velveeta plays. Cheese queen of dwarves ftw.

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/...ss-part-1-wtf/

The most basic elements are in this tutorial, in combination with Wiki it is a valuable learning tool so check it. But remember it will teach the most basic elements of the crafting system.

I will give you a summary of stuff I have in my average Fortresses and which part they play in the crafting of stuff (and yes some items are double).
    Foodstuff:
    Food -> Farm
    Booze -> Farm + Still
    Prepared food -> Farm + Kitchen (+ Still if you allow cooking with booze)
    Meat -> Butcher (either butcherable or dead animal)
    Clothing (not counting metal items):
    Raw hides -> Butcher (either butcherable or dead animal)
    Leather -> Butcher + Tanner
    Leather items -> Butcher + Tanner + Leather workshop
    Cloth Threads -> Farm (Pig tail) + Farmers Workshop (or trade for it with Caravan)
    Cloth -> Farm (Pig tail) + Farmers Workshop + Loom (or trade for it with Caravan)
    Clothing -> Farm (Pig tail) + Farmers Workshop + Loom + Clothier’s Shop
    Furniture + Crafts:
    Wood non crossbow -> Carpenter workshop
    Stone non crafts/mechanisms -> Mason workshop
    Raw green glass
    -> 1. Leather bag + Woodfurnace + Glass Furnace (to give “collect sand� and “create raw green glass�
    -> 2. Leather bag + Magma Glass Furnace (to give “collect sand� and “create raw green glass�
    Green Glass items
    -> 1. Leather bag + Woodfurnace + Glass Furnace
    -> 2. Leather bag + Magma Glass Furnace
    Gems -> Jewelry Workshop
    Weapons + Armor + Weaponcomponents + Traps
    Stone/wood/bone/shell Crafts -> Craftdwarfs workshop (Also creates Obsidian Swords)
    Metal Bars
    -> 1. Woodfurnace (wood as fuel) + Smelter
    -> 2. Magma Smelter
    Metal Items
    -> 1. Woodfurnace (wood as fuel) + Smelter + Metalsmith Forge
    -> 2. Magma Smelter + Magma Forge
    Mechanics -> Mechanics workshop (for traps and building levers to raise bridges and stuff)
    Raw green glass
    -> 1. Leather bag + Woodfurnace + Glass Furnace (to give “collect sand� and “create raw green glass�
    -> 2. Leather bag + Magma Glass Furnace (to give “collect sand� and “create raw green glass�
    Green Glass items
    -> 1. Leather bag + Woodfurnace + Glass Furnace
    -> 2. Leather bag + Magma Glass Furnace

There are more workshops available, but I never bother with all of them. The above are the most important to have around also from a “strange mood� point of view.
    I never bother myself with the whole dyeing business, I know you need a Dyers workshop and Quern or automated version (millstone I believe), but I don’t see the point wasting my time with that.
    I also never bother with a Siege workshop, since I normally build a siege safe fortress and I never use ballistas or catapults (but that is personal)
    Another nice thing is a Kennel I use occasionally, were you can train your regular stray dogs into hunter or war dogs which makes them improved versions.

Thread Information