Thread: Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince

Default Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince

Went to see it last night. For those of you who like the books & films, this one will be a real treat. It was really well done IMHO and included a lot more material from the book than previous films and they seem to have cut less than in others as well.

Overall, it was really well done and thoroughly entertaining. If you go this weekend, I would recommend getting there early and buying your tickets ahead of time. The theater I went to see it at was sold out well in advance (fortunately I bought my tickets two weeks ago). And there was a big line formed well before show-time.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince

ooh great to hear! i'm hoping to catch a matinee of it this weekend :-)

I am really looking forward to this too. We're shipping kids off to grandparents for 2 weeks while we move house (argh!) and might see if we can spend an evening going to go see this (and see if our 5 yr old will be able to cope - its a 12a rating in the UK, which means under 12s CAN go see it IF they have an adult with them).. and he LOVES the Harry Potter films!
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Nice to hear, looking forward to the movie. Like them better than the books (usually it's the other way around but although I like the story I always get really annoyed about the way she writes).

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

My Neighbor and I can't wait till it's out on DVD so we can add it to our collection we both have a set. I'm just now starting to collect the books, hehe should of done it years ago when Hastings had a big display on it with all the books trading cards ect. Only thing that bites about small towns is the fact that we got 1 theater that shows 2 moives and they are about 6 months out of date here lol So it will be awhile before i can go see it

CC

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Went to see it last night. For those of you who like the books & films, this one will be a real treat. It was really well done IMHO and included a lot more material from the book than previous films and they seem to have cut less than in others as well.

Overall, it was really well done and thoroughly entertaining. If you go this weekend, I would recommend getting there early and buying your tickets ahead of time. The theater I went to see it at was sold out well in advance (fortunately I bought my tickets two weeks ago). And there was a big line formed well before show-time.
    Awesome that's great to hear. It was always annoying to see how much has been missing from previous films.

Tomorrow is forecast to be rather wet, and the sprogs are still at school so I might go for a mid-day screening. I tried the same trick with the last film, and there were 11 (eleven) people in the screen on release day.

So you can bet anything it'll be Stuffed like a obese Christmas turkey tomorrow.

Rakku

I will probably be "forced" by my girlfriend to go and see it as well.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    I will probably be "forced" by my girlfriend to go and see it as well.
    Poor you

It's so convenient to have a girlfriend to blame, lol

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    I am really looking forward to this too. We're shipping kids off to grandparents for 2 weeks while we move house (argh!) and might see if we can spend an evening going to go see this (and see if our 5 yr old will be able to cope - its a 12a rating in the UK, which means under 12s CAN go see it IF they have an adult with them).. and he LOVES the Harry Potter films!
    Just to warn you, it's a fair bit darker than the last.. but if you've read the book, I guess you'll know. =P (<cough-cave-cough>)

Quite a bit of teenage love issues, too. Still, can always tell your kiddo to cover their eyes. :3

I did enjoy the movie, though~

Sheriff of the Order Roleplay Police Squad

Just saw it this afternoon... there were about 2-3 dozen people in there I suppose so it wasn't too bad!

It did follow the basic layout of the book, although WB have taken more than a few liberties bringing it to the big screen (I suppose if everything was in the book then there would be no surprises. ).

Overall... yeah I liked it! Cinema had the sound a bit too loud mind ... have a head ache now! :|

I didn't sit around long enough to see if there were any outro's at the end of the credits though? (the second film did)

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Poor you

It's so convenient to have a girlfriend to blame, lol
    It is isnt it?
    I actually went to see it a few hours ago and to be honest... I think it is the best of the HP movies so far.

I am even tempted to read the next movies book now.... read... tempted.
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

It is isnt it?
    I actually went to see it a few hours ago and to be honest... I think it is the best of the HP movies so far.

I am even tempted to read the next movies book now.... read... tempted.
    Read the books.

Like all the previous stories, the books win in Every case even if the films are good in their own right. I especially liked how they envisioned the hippogrif in the Prisoner of Azkaban ... but I'm a certified gryphon nut anyhow.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Read the books.

Like all the previous stories, the books win in Every case even if the films are good in their own right. I especially liked how they envisioned the hippogrif in the Prisoner of Azkaban ... but I'm a certified gryphon nut anyhow.

Rakku
    I probably will one day, but for now I got 3¾ books from Markus Heitz to re-read. I started in part 1 so I finish the whole series first.
    Besides if I am going to read any HP books it would be just part 7... Seen part 1-5 on dvd and part 6 in the cinema yesterday...

I probably will one day, but for now I got 3¾ books from Markus Heitz to re-read. I started in part 1 so I finish the whole series first.
    Besides if I am going to read any HP books it would be just part 7... Seen part 1-5 on dvd and part 6 in the cinema yesterday...
    Nonononono... the movies leave out so many little quirks from the books, you don't even know what you're missing. While the movies are excellent and true to the overall plot, the story is richer, fuller in the books.

I just want to know how the story ends so I doubt seeing myself read every book... I never was a real HP fan and I doubt I ever will. Am more of a Twilight fan myself.

Yea it is a good movie - in fact I think its a great movie considering this was my least favorite Potter novel..

Lot more "Snogging" int his one than in the book that I remember - whereas they had much much LESS Focus on Harry and his book - it was more of a sidenote really. (Actually now that I think about it, the book's title and the emphasis in the movie don't match up that much lol...if you'd just seen the movie you'd wonder why it centered around the Half-Blood Prince..cept for the very end comment I guess...)

Which I was fine with, cuz I found that extremely overly covered in her book .

Though the amped up teen hormones was entertaining, the movie lets on rather early and much more directly who ends up with who - the book seem to be more subtle for most of it .
    Last edited by Frith-Rae; August 7th, 2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: k
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I just want to know how the story ends so I doubt seeing myself read every book... I never was a real HP fan and I doubt I ever will. Am more of a Twilight fan myself.
    Nor was I ... I'd never even heard of it until a book was left on a flight back in 2002. That was the third book Prisoner of Azkaban. No one claimed it so it went home with me (the picture of a gryphon on the front was an obvious draw ). I started reading it and was quickly hooked. The first film came out not that long after.

I must admit I never read the first book ... but I can say for sure that the second book has nothing more than what's in the movie, and I've heard that the first movie is all the book is. The differences and short falls start to show from the third book onwards, and then with each successive movie (as the books get longer and longer) the reduction in content gets more marked. The third movies and beyond arn't bad in their own right, but it's like LOTR the books are so much better.

Put it on your list Rvlion.

Rakku

Thread Information