Thread: Well..this is just...great.

Default Well..this is just...great.

So my computer has been completely obliterated by a virus. On a friend's comp at the moment. I log off Istaria, view a couple of videos on youtube and the next thing I know I've got a virus that disguised itself as my anti-virus system and completely destroyed me in minutes. Don't know if it was the youtube videos or if it was sitting dormant from something else, who knows.

Only thing I know is my desktop showed up as some big WARNING sign, my icons turned into **** images and my system is da poof. I'm so beyond angry right now. Haven't slept since it happened as I ran cleaning disks for 6 odd hours..only to have it go crazy again as soon as the system rebooted. I'm going to bed.

In other words I have no computer...and don't know when I will be getting one. So I will be canceling my account, more out of fear for my credit card information being on there which I will more then likely cancel now, until I can get a computer again.

To yavaflava: go ahead and use up the stone bricks and cast stones I have sitting in Leo's plot since you're starting lairshaping anyways.

To my guildmates and friends: I'll be back as soon as I can but it will be awhile as I really can't afford a computer right now.

To Kandrin and Nyoko: Pal is just sleeping for now

So beyond ticked right now.
    Order Shard - Atlanna Embergaze 100/100 Adult:
    A'Sasha Windrider - Member of Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Default Re: Well..this is just...great.

aww crumblies, that is horrible! i hope you are able to get back soon!
    *serves a'sasha some delicious klava with a towel and a curtsy to help sustain through this crisis*

on a side note, which antivirus software did you use?

I hope everything turns out better. Just do what my coworkers and I do. Kick the thing to death. Makes us feel better. Hope to see ya again soon.

Dang, that sucks! I hope you can get it taken care of before I have to take off. If not.. well, then, I be seeing you later! And do what Nyoko said. Kick it. A lot. It may not actually fix something, but it will make you feel better.

Keep us updated! I'll try to get ahold of you before I go.

Sorry to hear this. Hope this computerless nightmare ends sooner than later for you. Look forward to seing in Order alliance room whenever you get back. All the best in the meantime.

Ouch, Hope you get it sorted out. I know the antivirus ... viruses... or the mimics of the antiviruses can actually be really nasty and hard to get rid of. Come back soon.

Noo! THat's terrible.

I know how you feel, however. I had the same problem between March and June. Three months without a computer. D:

I hoe you can get it fixed, Atlanna! We'll miss you. D:

There is yet hope for you. No need to give up or buy a new computer.

Google malware removal and the first link should be malwareremoval.com. On the same page you should see a link to a malware removal forum on the Safer Networking forums. Read their sticky threads and make a post there and they WILL be able to help you restore your computer to its former glory.

Well so far after many hours spent, we were able to reformat the computer.

That by no means indicates the virus is gone so I will keep an eye on it and run some more tests.

*crosses her fingers hoping it all works out well*

Quote Originally Posted by A'Sasha View Post
    Well so far after many hours spent, we were able to reformat the computer.

That by no means indicates the virus is gone so I will keep an eye on it and run some more tests.
    A'Sasha, if you wipe any partitions, rewrite the master boot record, repartition and then do a low level format there is little chance of anything surviving.

Thanks Skal I'll give that a go.

And sorry Awdz didn't see your question, I am using AVG which has always worked really well for me so I'm pretty shocked that this just slipped on by, as well as slipping by three seperate firewalls.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I got a virus similar to this and was able to get rid of it without a format. Don't know if it's too late or not, but here's a decent removal tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...antivirus-2009

You may also want to run a registry cleaner afterwards, just in case. I recommend ccleaner. Just type ccleaner.com and then download and run it. You will want it to analyze and clean both temporary files and registry to make sure the virus is gone.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

what c'gan said....

and i personally swear by and have for years, mcafee.
    very cheap for the service and the total protection system is awesomeness on toast.
    virus defs updated everyday, the virtual technician can diagnose and solve most probs, and the customer service is most excellent (those guys are sooo much better at it than i was....).
    at last count we had at least 6 puters with mcafee on em and nary a problem in 10+ years of use.
    stay away from norton - their products suck ded donkey dink......

just a personal observation - not intended to advertise the use of this product other than thru personal testimony.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thanks C'gan I'll check that out as well!

And Vel....I think I use to have McAfee on my old comp back in the day. But I don't remember how I felt about it. Which one could argue that if I don't remember then it must not have been negative. Hmmmm....

**crosses her fingers in hope that you can come back soon**
    I will use those up but they will stay there for a bit I have my stack stock piled in my set I have set aside I will use up what I have first.
    Leonea-Leo for short please ((Pudda Tank!/Builder))
    Yavahona-or known as YAVAFLAVA!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Unfortunately, Velveeta, this particular virus goes AROUND McAfee. McAfee somehow sees it as a valid program. I had McAfee running and fully updated when it hit me.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

eeecckkkk!! no bueno, senor, muy no bueno!!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information