Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spread the word program discussion...

Default Spread the word program discussion...

Please use this thread to talk about our proposed "Spread the word" program.

Spread the Word program

Default Re: Spread the word program discussion...

Finally! News of advertising Istaria. Soon we will be hearing the pitter patter of new players and groaning veterans (kidding).

As a person who has been "spreading the word" (granted on a smaller scale than what is being ask here) I've only really got one input on this. Well actually it more of a suggestion. Please, pretty please reconsider the picture of the dryad where the "Get the Free Trial Now" is. Any other picture, but that one.
    As of late, when people ask me about the game I usually direct them to the http:// community.istaria.com one just so I can avoid them from see that picture on the website. I can't help think a person , seeing that for the first time, is going to be put off cause it looks like-
    *Coughs* But I digress. Here is hoping it works out as good as it sounds.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Well said Xanthia.

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    I've only really got one input on this. Well actually it more of a suggestion. Please, pretty please reconsider the picture of the dryad where the "Get the Free Trial Now" is. Any other picture, but that one.

Want to support this idea!

Also, why limit it to blogs and websites and the written word? They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Or, sometimes, thousands of views. Or in some cases, 21,286 views! I am not showing this as anything other than to demonstrate how much advertising power images have: http://nambroth.deviantart.com/art/I...creen-86015248

I bet screen shots and fan art would garner a lot of attention too!
    Screen shots especially! I can't tell you how often I'll post screen shots in my personal blog and get comments like 'oh cool, playable dragons? That dragon looks cool. I'm checking that out!'

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Hehe! I agree Nam! I've manage to convert a few to this game with my vids... really should think about making another one..

The plan is to have a different program for videos, I believe.

Pictures, as I understand it from Amarie, would count as a "blog post", so long as you post some text about where the picture came from.

And I'd also ask that the thread be kept on topic... that being the program. If you would like to "second" that a different image be used, please find that discussion thread and feel free to post on it. Let's keep this discussion focused on the program so that Amarie and the others on the CR team can follow it easier.
    Last edited by Velea; September 5th, 2009 at 02:25 AM.

I expect the focus should be on what Istaria is perhaps best known for:

- playing as a Dragon
    - crafting and construction of buildings/lairs
    - extensive multi-classing
    - great people
    - no PVP

(I know that last one sounds strange, but I've spoken to players who look for MMORPG's specifically without PVP to avoid l33ts)

Playing as a Dragon I think is a major drawcard. I generally find these days there are more Dragon's than 'peds online, but that's not a bad thing. And let's face it - they take the best photos

Crafting as well is fantastic and detailed, but without a working economy it makes it a tough sell to your "shopkeeper"-style crafter. Works fine for a "i just love making stuff" player though

Could we perhaps get some in-game statistics to talk about as well? Like total number of quests available (the wiki is, unfortunately, not complete for all quests and we have only a couple of 100 documented - we'll call it a work-in-progress ). I believe the land-mass if 50 km2 from memory, but there are other stats as well like number of communities, number of locations, number of different schools (28 biped adventure, 19 biped craft, plus Dragon schools) that could help out too. And things like named mobs (150+), Withered Aegis background, etc.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

There should be a provision for direct referrals, i.e. if a player tells a friend about Istaria and gives them a link to register with and that person ends up subscribing.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Interesting. Will non-english websites/boards/etc... count in this program?
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

not a bad idea (as we say here)
    if its profitable should not be my concern.
    I`m not too enthusiastic about it.
    I shall not use that cause I do not have a blog or similar,
    (do not want to expose myself in the net in any way.
    But this is only my personal opinion , it`s a common thinking of some folks of my generation)
    I`ll do it the old fashioned way, as I always did: Contact people personally, using all media- to bring them back, or hold them in or make them give Istaria a try.

So finally I would say: This program is a good first step in a campaign to come

(and I agree with Xanthia-P)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

What about LiveJournal?
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    What about LiveJournal?
    What about it?

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    (do not want to expose myself in the net in any way.
    I'm sorry, but just had to chuckle at the irony of this. You're posting on forums on the internet that you don't want to expose yourself on the internet. hehehe...

Anyway, both posts are off topic again, so I'm being as bad as the rest of you now. So keep it on topic please... that topic being the program itself and if it needs anything.

I had a fairly good run on MMORPG.com (you can look me up under 'RiHahn') and got quite a few folks asking about the game...

I suppose I should go and update my 'return to Istaria' thread, but I keep starting over in order to try something else - I'm a sucker for trying everything, and there are just so many options! That and the training point buyback is slow enough that it's more efficient to simply create another character.

(My current project is a Satyr Healer - I really enjoy playing dedicated healing classes, but that particular road is *long* without DPS assistance and there aren't exactly lines of players looking for a group right now. I also need to go in and fiddle with the Satyr textures as there are a few spots that can use some fiddling... Where'd Cobal go? I have questions, he has answers!)

I have plans to create a Lairshaping video to post on MMORPG.com as it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen in an MMO, and I figure other folks will think similarly... Right up to the point where they're on their 6th hour of hauling sandstone, essence orbs, bronze ore, gems and/or azulite and the first room isn't done yet. (chuckle)

I also haunt Massively.com and drop Istaria's name on occasion when the subject warrants - got a few responses there too.

The problem with the big MMO places is they have sooo many people that the community is very similar to WoW - one has to be extremely tight with their writing, have a fairly thick hide, and the patience of a saint to avoid attracting trolls by the hundreds and wanting to drive an iron spike through your head...

From the points that have come up thus far:

1) Yes, non-English sites work so long as we can tell it is Istaria that's being talked about.

2) Live Journal counts. We'll update the information page to mention it specifically.

3) It is unlikely that we'll ever do a referral or "bring a friend" program, but an affiliate program is in the works.

4) Remember that blogs can be in character or out.

5) We're going to try to work videos and image postings into the same program as this.

Unless I've misread it- in which case I apologize in advance- my only beef is the Gifted subscription requirement. Does that mean somebody with a basic subscription couldn't qualify? Why only allow specific members to participate? All the players are paying, and wouldn't it be a great incentive for those who can't afford a plot but still want to help the game?

Because if you only have a basic subscription, you don't have a plot slot to start with. The program gives you an extra plot slot, it can't give you to one to start with.

I'm on a trial account right now but I'll help regardless. i'd kill for extra players that are noobs like me to quest with
    Living is the only revenge we Jedi can partake in. If the Empire fails to kill us all, we win. http://baishenlong.deviantart.com/

Straight out of aeria games. I suppose you have done research to see if this is successful for the games that have been doing this for years.

I have no subscription for the time being, but I have Istaria splashed all over my myspace page (pictures, a blog), and will continue to advertise the game in such fashion.

My suggestions:

~perhaps have a different (smaller) reward (eventually) for those that pay the smaller amount for their subscriptions (ie: a fancy disk for a basic sub with advertising on blog, etc.) Unless it is your hope that the program would encourage existing customers to upgrade their accounts...

~absolutely include deviantart sites and the like. Istaria is a niche game, and many of the people that fit that niche are also drawn to those art sites. (If Nambroth's beautiful artwork does not generate interest in the game, then nothing will.) Any public site that gets plenty of hits should be included, in my opinion, as the point is to reach as many people...no?

~reconsider the "bring a friend" idea...it is only that that has me suscribed to WoW. (I was the second-most reluctant subscriber to that game. The first is Ardorr, and he is still holding out). Were it not for my husband's drooling over the offered zebra mount, I am sure I would never have bought an account there. ((Please forgive if this last is off-topic for this thread.))

I wish the program the greatest success, and hope that the game is strong and well-populated upon my return!
    Last edited by Velea; September 6th, 2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Off topic portion removed

I have a question. So, let's say we get another plot. Does that mean as soon as we stop putting up four blogs a month you take back the plot?

Anyhow, glad to see a concerted effort to advertise the game. I was hoping that when the Doom went live we'd see more old players return but as far as I can tell it has not happened. Maybe because they don't even know!

Cixi, gnome extraordinaire, Order Shard and member of the Gnome Liberation Front.
    Free Rachival NOW !!!
    Last edited by Velea; September 6th, 2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Off topic portion removed

Thread Information