Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Useable Spell Scrolls

Default Useable Spell Scrolls

For a while now I've been thinking about these as player crafted Items.

For Instance : a scroll of Revitalize 1

could need something like

A sheet of Rough Vellum (Animal Hide, Water, Dim Essense Orb)
    Ink (Tier 1 Armour Dye)
    1 unteched revitalize 1 spell

useable by any level one adventurer.

The main uses I can see are for gifts, buffs, and healing spells.

What do you think ?

Ruache
    Ruache: Dwarf Ranger 100, Craft lvl's 1900
    Hephestus: Ancient Dragon 100/100/100

Default Re: Useable Spell Scrolls

I think that's a great idea! Would that be an alchemist thing? or a scholar? or a new school?

Binding and recalling scrolls would be next on my wish list, so you can venture out in the wild and use a binding scroll to make a binding point, reachable again with a recalling scroll (without overwriting your "normal" binding point)

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I'm thinking scholar, spellcrafter, dragoncrafter (spellcraft skill)
    Ruache: Dwarf Ranger 100, Craft lvl's 1900
    Hephestus: Ancient Dragon 100/100/100

First, Ruache, let me thank you for posting your suggestion. We love seeing players' suggestions and feedback about the game they like to play. And I want to say that my feedback is in no way directed at you or your ideas, but simply responding as a designer of the game and the suggestions' place in that game.

I am curious what the benefit is to the player of having these scrolls? Afterall, should a player wish to obtain a Gift spell all he or she need do is level up the appropriate school and then switch back to your primary.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post

I am curious what the benefit is to the player of having these scrolls? Afterall, should a player wish to obtain a Gift spell all he or she need do is level up the appropriate school and then switch back to your primary.

Dragons would be able to use those 3 empty gift slots.

Dracaena

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

if draggys can't have gifts, then it would be sahweet to see something like this that would allow draggys to have access to those gifts, even if only temporarily....mw would love to have gift of speed and or alacrity......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Beyond Dragons using them what else? Cause honestly that isn't enough for me.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Could be a way to get some extra craftable items in-game to assist with the economy? At the moment we have potions as the primary consumable, if scrolls were available as well people could use *a lot*. I could see people buying 20 x Revitalize I when they wander out into the "big bad world" for the first time in New Trismus. Might be a decent money sink. And of course draggies stocking up on Gifts as noted

Plus of course someone has to make the scroll paper too, perhaps Fiber (Kenaf etc) + Essence Orbs + Water? Scribing the magical goodness would require the spell-caster to have appropriate skills in the spell they were scribing obviously.

Using a scroll could still be limited by Tier as per your current adventure/craft level.

Not sure about attack-type scrolls though i.e. "it's OK, I still have 100 Dark Cyclone scrolls available! Lets go!" unless of course you had the same cool-down times as spells, which hopefully would make it easier to implement (if possible at all).

Would it make players too powerful though? Not sure - in theory this might allow a level 20 WAR to be as powerful as a level 20 MAG, but they wouldn't have the bonuses of stats/skills to apply i.e. I think it would be better if the scroll were cast given the level of the person using the scroll, not the person who scribed the scroll.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i imagine them working like the person cast the spell directly on you......
    scrolls MUST NOT be scribable - otherwise, i should think they would be created and used much like spell shards.......

that is the simple way i think about it anyway

mw would spend a lot of money to have access to spell scrolls....i can def see this as a money sink - in fact, i could easily see mw hiring someone or even a team of peeps to keep him supplied with certain spells on scrolls.....

It's nice too for peeps who don't want to multiclass.
    Or not yet have.
    Like scribable spells they could come in tiers and can only use the scroll according to your current class level.
    And in my mind a scroll is used, like a potion. You use the scroll, poof scroll is gone

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    It's nice too for peeps who don't want to multiclass.
    Or not yet have.
    Like scribable spells they could come in tiers and can only use the scroll according to your current class level.
    And in my mind a scroll is used, like a potion. You use the scroll, poof scroll is gone
    Yes, definitely single-use only

I wonder what craft station you would need to use... spellies table I guess? And creating spell scrolls... maybe spellies table for that too? And should there be cool-downs for scribing the spells to? So you can't create 100 dark cyclones in one hit. That might be difficult to implement, I don't think there is anything in the craft window that is similar, rather than the "wait a coupla seconds before creating more" note you get when creating items.

I wonder how difficult this would be to implement? The logic is in place for creating spells, so presumably the interface could be the same in the craft window. We already have lots of single-use items in-game like potions, forms, etc. Hopefully this would just be changes to the database and a couple of assets for spell scroll types? Only issue I can see is how to handle cool-downs for spells so you can't spam 100 dark cyclones
    Last edited by StalePopcorn; October 29th, 2009 at 01:03 AM.

Big fan of the idea, single use only ofcourse (or very limited).

I always like the idea of consumables, and confecs and alchys have got it nice, with a constant demand for their wonderful goods.

However it might be worth while making a new school for this idea, or even using skills from more than one school, similar to a tinker. My reasons behind this are, that its quite easy to lvl spellcrafter on stone tools, where as i would say lvling conf/alchy are not nearly as easy, and i wouldnt want to take away from the hard work they have to do, to only be replaced by spellcrafters and scrolls.

As for the scrolls themselves:
    Not to take away from the original spells themselves (especially in the case of Epic spells), I'd have to suggest a much longer recycle on the scroll as well as reduce the effectiveness ie damage or buff strength.

I'd say definatley keep level limitations (and maybe even increase them a little bit 10% or so), but remove skill and school limitations from the scrolls.

Being a multiclassed biped I personally don't see the necesity in this idea, but sure would be fun

See yas in Istaria (Long live Horizons!)
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    Big fan of the idea, single use only ofcourse (or very limited).

I always like the idea of consumables, and confecs and alchys have got it nice, with a constant demand for their wonderful goods.

However it might be worth while making a new school for this idea, or even using skills from more than one school, similar to a tinker. My reasons behind this are, that its quite easy to lvl spellcrafter on stone tools, where as i would say lvling conf/alchy are not nearly as easy, and i wouldnt want to take away from the hard work they have to do, to only be replaced by spellcrafters and scrolls.
    I don't think a new school is the answer, but I don't think Spellcrafters should be able to make them exclusively. I think it should be open to anyone who has skill in the area of the spell, perhaps tied to Ingenuity or something as well. For example, a Cleric 34 can create T1 and T2 life and aug spells, a Spiritist 34 can create T1 and T2 spirit and blight spells. I see this as a skill anyone can do, if they have the time and inclination.

As for the scrolls themselves:
    Not to take away from the original spells themselves (especially in the case of Epic spells), I'd have to suggest a much longer recycle on the scroll as well as reduce the effectiveness ie damage or buff strength.

I'd say definatley keep level limitations (and maybe even increase them a little bit 10% or so), but remove skill and school limitations from the scrolls.
    Yes that would be fair I think, otherwise who would want a Healer to come along if everyone can cast 100 scrolls all the time? Perhaps if the recycle time was doubled or something?

Does raise an interesting point though - would people still group with casters if they could just use scrolls instead? with so many spells available this is probably unlikely, as you might fill your inventory with spell scrolls! There are hundreds of spells or different tiers as well, so hopefully this wouldn't be a balance issue.

Plus, in the heat of battle, who wants to use a scroll when you need to pound on a critter! Let the support crew of casters take care of that

Being a multiclassed biped I personally don't see the necesity in this idea, but sure would be fun
    I see that as part of the problem - us elder multi-classed players can "do it all", and if we can't, we know someone who can. New players are limited in what they can do and this might give them more flexibility when making money and adventuring.

See yas in Istaria (Long live Horizons!)
    Count on it

i would think that any class that can make the spell shard would be able to make the scroll, unless they can't make the actual scroll material - if the scrolls are made from fabric or hide, that might be the role for fabric workers, or alchemists are the ones able to infuse the raw materials with the 'magical essence' to make the scroll material.......

scrolls should def have a long delay between castings - i would be happy with something like 5 or 10 minutes per level......i see scrolls as backup for having whatever skewl casts the spell in question along - when you have no choice but solo, ya ken?

That is really a good idea, and I would like to have such scrolls with me, when I run out of buffs.
    BUT- I vote against anything that weakens exsisting classes or prevents interaction or dependency among the players.

I like Ry´s idea of our artifacts giving us a (a single) gift or enhance (or whatever)- which might give WA a reason to attack it
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

The scroll Id like the most to have would be resurect. Generally I play in Warrior school and if im the last standing in a group Id really like a scroll to get another party member up off the ground so they can do their thing and rez and heal etc. Maybe a scroll that is only castable on a cleric/healer or other rez users? Or even a spell they can cast on me that I can then use at a later date to rez the caster.(maybe it could be a scroll)

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    Only issue I can see is how to handle cool-downs for spells so you can't spam 100 dark cyclones
    I think it would be best to exclude a spell like dark cyclone.

Besides, in the first post it is mentioned that for the making of a scroll you need the the made spell as one of the ingredients. So you won't be able to make hundreds of them

Hurray! Mor
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The scroll Id like the most to have would be resurect. Generally I play in Warrior school and if im the last standing in a group Id really like a scroll to get another party member up off the ground so they can do their thing and rez and heal etc. Maybe a scroll that is only castable on a cleric/healer or other rez users? Or even a spell they can cast on me that I can then use at a later date to rez the caster.(maybe it could be a scroll)
    That idea was already done in Vanguard, in a very good way I have to say. The healers there (4 different schools, Cleric, Bloodmage, Shaman I forgot the last one) could cast a "live jewel" into the inventory of a person. If the healer dies, the person with the stone could ressurect them The stone of course vanishes after the use and is limited to only one per person, also it vanishes after you log out. And the stone was only useable to the class who summoned it eg. Jewel of Life clould only rezz the clerics, jewel of Blood only the Bms and so on.

So maybe the healer classes should be able to cast a life stone, that could be only used to rezz the person if their active class was one of them. Like the cleric stone could only be used on the cleric, the shaman stone only on the shaman and so on.

I know it is no scroll, since I think a scroll would be too powerful that you can rezz someone, but it would slove the "last man standing" issue in Istaria.

And I think damage spells should be excluded from the scrolls, only buffs and heals should be made to scrolls. And the heals should of course have a longer cool down like the buff scrolls.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post

And I think damage spells should be excluded from the scrolls, only buffs and heals should be made to scrolls. And the heals should of course have a longer cool down like the buff scrolls.

while i don't mind the idea of objects like descibed before this in tako's post, this is the part i really agree with.
    damage spells can be obtained by simply taking the skewl in question or scribing the spell and making it for oneself.
    i think scrolls and similiar one shot items should be for gifts, buffs, and major heals only.
    resurrections can't be cast on oneself anyway. a rez scroll could be cast on another person in group, so a rez scroll or similiar would only be useful in a group situation.

Sounds like just Life and Aug spells are the go then? (judging by the OP and others) And apologies to Ruache, I missed the bit where you suggested the ingredients for the scrolls, excellent idea.

Which would mean Augmentation scrolls could be made by Spellcrafters with adventure schools:
    Healer
    Cleric
    Druid
    Paladin
    Shaman
    Guardian

and Life scrolls by Spellcrafters with the following schools:
    Healer
    Cleric
    Paladin

i.e. you need the ability to scribe (Spellcrafter) and the ability to cast the spell (appropriate adventure school).

Is that summarised correctly or have I missed something?

*sits down and waits for Devs to release completed scrolls next week*

Thread Information