Thread: How about an Istarian Postal Service?

Default How about an Istarian Postal Service?

The Summary:

It would be great if players could send each other in-game mail, either with or without attachments. From the devs point of view this could be both a money and a time sink, as well as a new way of giving quests. From the player’s point of view this would add to immersion, provide a server-wide building event, a new means to communicate, a trading extension, and a way to pass gear between alts.

The Scenario:

So, imagine logging in one day to discover some ‘unfinished structures’ dotted about the world, as well as some thoughtfully placed npc’s. Further examination might reveal that these structures need crazy-huge amounts of building materials from all tiers applied to them to be completed.

Upon interrogation the npc’s might reveal that these structures are in fact postal stations, and if they were to be completed then the gnomes who previously ran the Istarian Postal Service would be able to resume business (for the right price of course). In any event, the withered aegis would be sure to take an interest, and do their best to hamper any attempt on the part of the gifted to rebuild them.

The Mechanics:

So, let’s assume the players have come together, built the structures, staved off the WA onslaught and the Istarian Postal Service has just popped into existence. What next? How might it work? Here are some suggestions.

• Only those with a gifted subscription would be able to use mail.
    • Players would have to be at a postal station to both send and receive mail.
    • When you get mail, an alert icon appears in your buff / debuff box
    • Everyone would have an inbox of finite size. Vault upgrade style quests to increase the size of your inboxes might be available.
    • It costs money to send a mail (worked out based on adv or craft rating)
    • It costs more money to send items through the mail (for example something you have crafted for the recipient)
    • Unread mail has a finite shelf-life. Read it, or lose it.
    • At some point in the future, mail stations might be buildable in guild towns.

So, food for thought. Comments please, I’m sure I’ve missed out some blindingly obvious things, but hopefully folks agree it might be a cool feature to have.

Default Re: How about an Istarian Postal Service?

If this is possible to do in game, I would LOVE to see it happen. I believe it's been discussed that there need to be more money sinks in game... and who wouldn't like to see a mail system that the server unlocks with a new community crafting project?

Sounds like a win if it is a can-do.

The "Search" Feature is your friend.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18625

Yes, I read the other thread. There was nothing there to suggest it be tied into a community wide building event though. Hence my post.

My read on the previous thread is...

In game mail is not gonna happen so dont bug us, the devs, anymore about it

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

one of the very few things about wow that i actually like.
    the ability to at least notify someone that you have something made and ready for them to pick up would be a great bonus and a relief from continous spamming of the chat channels looking for the person who wanted whatever you have.....
    whether or not it will ever come about, that's another story, but i like the idea....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information