Thread: Extended Maintenance

Default Extended Maintenance

I spent 25 years in customer service and I was good at it. One of the primary things that I learned is that I could get away with darn near anything as long as I kept my customers informed.

With that in mind I would like to suggest to the devs that perhaps letting us, the paying customers know the reasons for all of this recent extended maintenance may make it more bearable.

I play on chaos and this is the third week in a row that we have had to endure this extended maintenance.

What is happening today? Patching from blight to live? Thats my guess but would it kill ya to say it?

Cheers

Default Re: Extended Maintenance

My guess is that it's not a patch, as if it were a patch the size of the revamp, the servers would probably be down most of the day and into the evening hours.

It probably is exactly as described, extended maintenance.

YAY for hardware updates!
    Last edited by Creme; December 1st, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

ummmm - not to sound beeatchy, but
    tuesday has long been the day for maintain.......

if you are new, then i apologise if the above sounds bad - i forget that not everyone knows this........

you are right there, that is a long time to be under, but not unheard of....
    however, i understand your op and i totally sympathize for the feeling of wanting to play and not being able to. please do not get the feeling i am being a fanboi, i was unaware of the length of time....
    Last edited by velveeta; December 1st, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Velveeta, you have been playing a long time now, long enough to know how long the servers are usually down for maintenance.

The answer is, the typical downtime is about 3 hours plus or minus an hour.

We are now coming up on 10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

ok time for me 2 cens .. if there add New soft were to the severs thay need to take there time .
    give thme time .. there there most likly going as fast as they dear ..

blight is up heh not a bad sever i juset dont go to it to much take to long for me pacth over and back it live ..

but any way if i read what there doing right ... there upgrading the severs ... give them time ... in the end we well have ower wolrd back in the end .
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

If everyone will pleasse take a moment....

Stop what you are doing right now please and go and read my original post.

Ok, you are back, excellent. Did you see the part where I asked only
    to be made aware of the reason for the down time? I was not and am not complaining about the servers being down.

Yes, they added a brief tidbit of communication and I thank them. However, that was added after my original post as I carefully scanned the boards looking for such a post prior to my original post.

Thats all I have to say on the matter. Good night, and pleasant dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Duergos View Post
    Velveeta, you have been playing a long time now, long enough to know how long the servers are usually down for maintenance.

The answer is, the typical downtime is about 3 hours plus or minus an hour.

We are now coming up on 10 hours.
    I can see you are a reasonably new player... Be happy my friend that you started playing in the heaven called Chaos or Order server and not on the server many of the European players remember in the past to be as Unity.

Here we have extended maintanance with the probable purpose of improving our gameplay... On Unity I experienced a complete server crash on friday evening and nothing be done about it untill monday (fixed on tuesday or wednesday if I recall correctly).

Just be patient my friend, the server will be online as soon as possible... Communication or not... I have every confidence in that.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I dont know how big the dev team is here but I suspect it is small.

Extended maintenance happens in EVERY game I have played. Even WoW who I am sure has the largest dev staff in any MMO today. They occasionally have "extended maintenance" because of unexpected problems and it usually happens to the more populated servers (Argent Dawn is where I played)

I have been playing MMO's for over 10 years and never expect a maintenance to go as planned to avoid any disappointments.

I understand the OP's point. A little "taking longer then expected" is reassuring but with the number of staff I assume Istaria employs and the number of staff WoW employs we get more feedback then the big games out there. Its the way things go.

Now for my rant...why is it my jobs give me days off on maintenance days
    Sounjah <Strata> of Order
    60 Carpenter - 45 Fletcher - 28 Blacksmith - 23 Outfitter 31 Ranger - 21 Druid - 21 Cleric - 21 Scout
    RedStorm <Strata> of Order Dragon Hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by Sounjah View Post
    Now for my rant...why is it my jobs give me days off on maintenance days
    So that you can help test new material on Blight.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    So that you can help test new material on Blight.
    heh not sure I will be very effective at testing at my level unless I stumble across a game bug.
    60 Carpenter - 45 Fletcher - 28 Blacksmith - 23 Outfitter 31 Ranger - 21 Druid - 21 Cleric - 21 Scout

Servers up!!!!

There was an information about ext. maint on the log in page too.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thumbs up Re: Extended Maintenance

What I see as the big news, is not the downtime, it's the reason. New hardware! AFAIK, (not a lot, admittedly, but what the hey) Istaria has been running on the same hardware since the merge. Quite a few restrictions were placed on the game as the result of having to fit it into servers that were less capable than the original launch servers. (I didn't much care for some of the game design decisions that occurred then, but the feat of getting the game onto the new servers was pretty impressive. And developing the fairest possible handling of the plots simultaneously. )

It would be nice if lag and mob populations can be improved now?
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Thread Information