Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Flying for everyone!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Flying for everyone!

as everyone already knows my feelings on this matter (the whole thing, not just dragon riding), i will just say that i totally agree with shian.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

*starts to Hum*

Iea d'na scov!
    That's what the dragons say!

(hrm, I have that on my harddrive - saved from Allon's creation - perhaps I should sing it again one day )
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    I 100% agree!!!
    100% agreed twice :P

like i said this is just For conveinience if you don't want to carry the slow biped or hatchling then don't, i just hate waiting on slowpokes!! so i'm all for carrying but i'll let the devs work out how, this shouldn't be causeing so much drama, look how fun it Could be, large egos are not needed. If you don't like it, then it's just an option you'll never have to use, unless you want to.

that's my 2 coppers.
    Last edited by Hawkman007; June 21st, 2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman007 View Post
    like i said this is just For conveinience if you don't want to carry the slow biped or hatchling then don't, i just hate waiting on slowpokes!! so i'm all for carrying but i'll let the devs work out how, this shouldn't be causeing so much drama, look how fun it Could be, large egos are not needed. If you don't like it, then it's just an option you'll never have to use, unless you want to.

that's my 2 coppers.
    I find it sad to constantly see these threads pop up again every few months, while in all those threads the majority of dragon players is against mounting of any kind. Give it a rest people.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Lore wise dryads are less powerful then they were at one point because of being locked away I see no problem with the equivalent of a rop for dryads to restore some of their original powers and that would mean limited and i mean limited flight. I think its silly for a dryad not to be able to cross water and skim at least the treetops . Dryads dont touch the ground its simply illogical that they should go under water when crosing as they hover abouve the ground anyway. Beyond that limited flight is a natural progression for a dryad I mean limited and i believe in Limited not true flight like dragons but something better then the idiotic "hovering" they have now. Oh yea one of the original ideas that was planned was paired battles (like the dragon riders of pern) we even had an emote for it that was thankfully removed because some liked to use it to offend people. I am not a fan of the idea of carrying a biped on the back of a dragon.
    Given enough time and the proper temperament anything doable in game is possible
    Confectioner first last and always

* joins discussion*

on dryads I would not mind seeing them fly on their own...after all they do have wings. but not fly like dragons how we can fly real high, after all they are small creatures and probably only used their flying as a mean of travel where we dragons flew high to hunt for prey.

on dragon riding I am for it. a biped that wants to ride a dragon should go through a quest that would grant them the option to ride on a dragon back.

options for quest can be give a npc haclting dragon hoard or be their to watch a dragon ascend. the quest should be something that would involve the ped with dragons

I'll add my thoughts here. I do play both a dragon and some alt bipeds. Dragon is my main though since its my passion as they say. I'm against having dragon mountable for the most part. I'm perfectly happy as things are even when playing my bipeds.

First, let me say as far as Dryads go I think they should be able to fly across water without falling in just like they fly across the ground. Makes sense to me. As to fly higher? I don't know. I would think they couldn't fly higher than tree tops if they could even fly that high.

Next, dragons ridden or being able to carry a biped any other way? No. In my thinking any Istarian dragon wouldn't put up with it. Just my opinion. No riding dragons period. I worry it would take away the uniqueness of dragons.

Okay, this next part is probably the most arguable and controversal. Letting bipeds fly anything at all? If the Devs do allow it it should be:

1. Something other than a dragon(wyvern, griffon, pegasi, personal spell, or whatever).

2. It shouldn't have as good of flying abilities as a dragon. More restricted otherwise whats the sense in playing a dragon? Again, lets not take away a dragon's unique ability and natural gifts.

3. It should require the biped to go through a series of quests after attaining a certain level just like dragons have to in their RoP. This could actually be made fun and engaging for the biped player.

That's my thoughts so far. I would also put out this warning to the Devs and players alike. Allowing bipeds to fly in this game whether on a dragon or some other form can and will change the game as we know it. Think carefully about this. Don't do anything to destroy one race just to give other races something. I've seen it happen in other MMO games. Think about the game as a whole and not just your own personal wants.

Its all I got for now.

In dragon lore lunus dislike bipeds and only work with them to combat the blight, helians themselves are a little more open but still not completely open as bipeds might prefer. so riding dragons would not fit in the lore at all i mean think of it, learn the history and the lore (might need a hatchling alt to figure out the story line) but overall the game mechanics cannot support this as stated in the lore, the rift between bipeds and dragons is huge.

Its not just an ego thing its that as well as 99% lore/history wise. ego is only a small 1% of the thinking. to ask for dragons to be ridden is like saying we should completely throw out the current lore for both helian and lunus it just not make sense if you think about it clearly enough and actually know the current history I'm not just talking fragments but the whole thing beginning to end.

(I'm not going to go in to the details as it is an important lesson for hatchlings to learn this and to understand the concept of the gameplay that is to be a dragon.)
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

I MIGHT be willing to carry a biped by clamping my teeth around him firmly...as long as I can spit him out wherever I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by venom-dragon7799 View Post
    In dragon lore lunus dislike bipeds and only work with them to combat the blight, helians themselves are a little more open but still not completely open as bipeds might prefer. so riding dragons would not fit in the lore at all i mean think of it, learn the history and the lore (might need a hatchling alt to figure out the story line) but overall the game mechanics cannot support this as stated in the lore, the rift between bipeds and dragons is huge.

Its not just an ego thing its that as well as 99% lore/history wise. ego is only a small 1% of the thinking. to ask for dragons to be ridden is like saying we should completely throw out the current lore for both helian and lunus it just not make sense if you think about it clearly enough and actually know the current history I'm not just talking fragments but the whole thing beginning to end.

(I'm not going to go in to the details as it is an important lesson for hatchlings to learn this and to understand the concept of the gameplay that is to be a dragon.)
    i agree with this and it makes me think of something. since we are all together in a war against a common enemy it would be like dryads riding half giants.. LOL

oh also note that just cause my sig has my saris riding my dragon doesnt mean i support the idea. i dont xD

Quote Originally Posted by AguaRush View Post
    i agree with this and it makes me think of something. since we are all together in a war against a common enemy it would be like dryads riding half giants.. LOL
    Riding on other characters' shoulders would be fun! And we've roleplayed it before many a time - I especially liked the dryad in the half-giant's shirt pocket. I wish we could hop on top of one another, like the dragons appear to do in that statue pose. A guild pyramid would make a great picture!!

Smile Re: Flying for everyone!

I have always been for giving the Dragon carret of flying to peds. But in return there needs to be more Adv schools added to Dragons.

Something in the line of 4 new schools 2 for the Fighters and 2 for the Spell slingers.

The 2 Fighers school would have one for better damg and one for tanking and one of them would have to for the love of god give good Dex. And if one of them gave good evation that would be cool too

The 2 Caster Schools one for the Nature/Spirt Heale side of casting and One for the Arcan side.

There would be quest lines for starting the caster schools and in the quest line you would have to make Importent chose of what skill you wish to unlock for your Dragie. As you only get one skill.

i.e. Do you want better healing take life want better buffs take aug. Do you want fire skill or ice or mybe even mind. But pick wisely young one as you only get one.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

Honestly I swore I remember a dev posting at one point that the reason we don't have mounts in game (flying or otherwise) is that the engine doesn't allow for such things to be a reality.

If I'm remembering this correctly - then it really doesn't matter what we do or don't want. As NPC mounts for bipeds or as dragon riders or dragon carriers - its not possible.

Which leads to a "um..end of discussion"

Again, could have sworn the engine just didn't allow it (riding on anything).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

when i 'follow' a dragon, i wind up stuck on (in? under?) its tail wherever we stop.
    wonder if 'riding' could be an adaptation of 'follow' where the dragon had to give the rider permission (game mechanic enable fly for the duration of the 'follow').
    i prefer the idea of dragons doing a claw carry, though.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    when i 'follow' a dragon, i wind up stuck on (in? under?) its tail wherever we stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    its not possible.

Which leads to a "um..end of discussion"

Co-incidence? Yeah, must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    *bats eyes at Solitare* Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a pet dryad that we could put in a cage, and hang it inside our lairs? *grins*
    Or an elf, a gnome...whatever. Seems fair to me, if it were possible to ride a dragon. Glad it's not!

Quote Originally Posted by venom-dragon7799 View Post

((While I am in agreement that the argument is moot due to the game engine's inability to even do this, no matter what we want, this is entirely too good of a Lunus vs. Helian debate for me to pass up ))

(As Saphire finishes, Kaeliss, who has been listening intently from a small knoll in the back of the gathering, gets to all fours and wanders to the front...)

I'd like to thank Saphire for their well reasoned thoughts... You do your Lunus heritage proud.

But, your argument makes it sound like we Dragons are such creatures of instinct that it would be impossible for an individual to decide to do something different, let alone that our society in general is capable of changing.

(Kaeliss begins to pace, slowly, as he speaks. Pausing only to emphasize a point or to motion to a bystander with a wing)

Just because The Scourge of Barasavus said 'Humans are bad' almost 800 years ago, doesn't mean that in our more enlightened age, several hundred years after he died, that we all have to follow that line of thinking. We, as a race, divided over this line of thought and we perpetuate it yet with this sort of archaic thinking.

Within recent memory the Sslik were being persecuted by just about everyone, yet here we are with them as a valuable addition to the Living Races. Even more recently the Satyr were a global threat thanks to the machines of the Withered Aegis, yet now we share our lands with them...

If anyone should have a long-term grudge it would be the Saris and the Elves, but even they seem to have come to an accord.

But some Dragons just can't seem to get it past their thick scales that they just don't need to be worshiped anymore, and simply refuse to acknowledge that the younger races might in fact need our help, rather than our derision. We, as a race, need to move beyond this prehistoric biped grudge and lead by example. And if that means we have to allow Dragons the choice of how they interact with the Naka, well then so be it!

(Kaeliss bows to the collected races and re-takes his seat.)

(little bit of saphire's history to be thrown into the mix just a bit) Prehistoric grudge?! prehistoric grudge!? have we forgotten the sleeper (again hatchies do the quest ) and what humans have done to him? not only that but my a'mea was slain by a group of humans for no reason. I myself was caged when i was a hatchling and you say there is no canyon between us? if it has taught us anything it is to follow our customs. (now on to topic more)

like i said flying for everyone i can see dryads hovering over shallow water i can see this because they have wings albeit tiny ones. but for other living races other then dragons and dryads im having a hard time seeing it even if the client could take it.
    100/96/21 32.2 mill hoard Killer 87% socializer 47% explorer 40% achiever 40%

((oh well ignoring game ability or inability, In-game/lore/faction RP arguments are perfectly always acceptable! )
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

I still stand by my idea of allowing dryads to glide, as hatchlings do. Personally I think they aught to have flight with a low ceiling, perhaps to the top of large trees, as it seems totally natural and appropriate for dryads to be flitting through the canopy of a forest... but that obviously wouldn't be acceptable to the mainstream for some reason... glide would be a decent compromise. It could also be available to other races as a Levitate spell ( a la EQ1 ).

Thread Information