Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying for everyone!

Default Re: Flying for everyone!

tho I admit I would LIKE to fly with my biped ... I agree No flying it is what makes dragons so special .. you can fly...

Flying would be not so good... I am Saris and while it sounds appealing to fly... I would rather make a dragon to do so.. perhaps you might go a different route.. as in A) invisibility spells B) speed spells C) group movement or singular teleporting spells ... hence the needing for different classes to do these things... perhaps you could have lets say 3 differnt classes that have to form a teleport ring ( a rare thing indeed) so you could portal party members... just other ideas thats what makes this game so unique... We have a developers ear to make this great game even greater think longer term and what it could do to the economy/world/players anyway just some feedback cya all Niknak aka Cata

Speaking minimalistically...two things:

1. Dryad float (see argument above and here: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...4&postcount=21)
    2. And simply the "option" for a dragon to take on a rider (of any race)...

My primary basis for #2 is that in almost every fantasy context I can think of where dragons are seen as a "good" or "neutral" force (as in istaria) they at one point allow at least someone the gift of seeing their world from their perspective...

I will say that it would add a lvl of interest for the game, and an avenue for bipeds and dragons to work together.

p.s. who said anything about wow? oh you must mean the gryphon comment, ok then, "Ahem, WoW does not have the monopoly on gryphons..." There, happy?

Dragon-riding has been on "pony list" (a list of things players want that the devs may eventually put into the game) for a long time. Dryad flight/glide/float/whatever I'm pretty sure has been turned down in the past, as well as flight for everyone.There was a discussion on mounts to, and that more or less amounted to "it isn't happening."

All three of these suggestions are very, very old. The devs have already seen them, probably many times over, by this point.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Not to rehash bad memories, but which set of devs?
    I understand there may have been at least two...

Raptress is talking about the current devs.
    I just lost the game.

i still like the idea of letting dryads glide... there are other things in game which only dragons and a couple of other races can use (chocolate mouse, anyone?), this could give dryads an extra something special. i agree that only dragons should have flight, though.

lets make more suggestions on this and food for thought.. Lets keep this within the game and be creative.. we all know that the Tinkers of the land are very smart (gnomes like our dear friend Awdz) what is stopping them(devs) from allowing the tinkers to make lets say a divineing rod of some sort that locates pockets of a certain energy that was left by the ancients.. what if as a community these pools of energy actually ended up being subteranean portal devices that were ruined long ago... and we (as a community) need to rebuild them... (like we used to do for bridges etc) remember im just fantasizing.. jump in here and gimme some suggestions like I know youll do ... your friend niknak aka Cata

Default Rent A Dragon

Why not implement a Rent A Dragon?

These NPC's which would rent dragons would put a spell on the dragon so it would allow you to mount it. Ofcourse when the spell ends the dragon will throw you off nomatter where you would be.

Ofcourse flight should be something special.

I don't think it would be a good idea to give dryads flight because this might make it that we will end up with a dryad only server.

Default Re: Rent A Dragon

rent a dragon? i have a feeling that may send sparks flying, most dragons believe we are not pets, do not forget it is the dragons who taught the bipeds many wonders and magic. how bout rent a ped for buffs. sorry i dont like that idea.

2 coppers worth.

Default Re: Rent A Dragon

i'd love to be able to build a gnomish device that would let you glide from a tower or the spire... with a 50/50 chance of self destructing mid-air (= dp for user) as possible penalty

Gnomsplosion mauahah, sounds great!

/em sighs*

I'll reiterate what I mean about dryad...umm...flitting, how's that?

Physically, due to wind, a butterfly cannot go above the treetops, so yea dryads should never be able to go above say, the height of the tallest character?? Yea that sounds plausible... (because the cool thing about role playing a little winged fay character, was that they could always look you in the eye) And since dryad movement is fairly static; e.g. no flapping to really be concerned about--flit up, flit down, flit left, flit right...shouldn't be too hard to implement programmatically. Would simply need keys mapped for the z axis--up and down.

Even so, any flitting/flying aside, still don't think there's any reason physics-wise or otherwise, why a dryad shouldn't be able to glide

Rent A Dragon?
    hmm....
    hmmmm....
    Dun think the general Dragon population would even bother to dignify that with a response...

It does seem that letting a character have more options for themselves seems to be one of the major themes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian Kross View Post
    Gnomsplosion mauahah, sounds great!

/em sighs*

I'll reiterate what I mean about dryad...umm...flitting, how's that?

Physically, due to wind, a butterfly cannot go above the treetops, so yea dryads should never be able to go above say, the height of the tallest character?? Yea that sounds plausible... (because the cool thing about role playing a little winged fay character, was that they could always look you in the eye) And since dryad movement is fairly static; e.g. no flapping to really be concerned about--flit up, flit down, flit left, flit right...shouldn't be too hard to implement programmatically. Would simply need keys mapped for the z axis--up and down.

Even so, any flitting/flying aside, still don't think there's any reason physics-wise or otherwise, why a dryad shouldn't be able to glide

Rent A Dragon?
    hmm....
    hmmmm....
    Dun think the general Dragon population would even bother to dignify that with a response...

It does seem that letting a character have more options for themselves seems to be one of the major themes here.
    i think the flitting would be neat, hehe be silly but fun to have a dryad look an ancient in the eye.

Hello again... gnomsplosion LOL I like that word... anyway we could also make an alchemy potion for SUPER speed? or blinks?? like fast fast fast only used in non combat.. gotten from the stinger of ancient Fyakki's and also undead gases... hehe this community is soo kool niknak aka Cata

ps Awdz... did you ever get that BBQ done?

Quote Originally Posted by flipswitch View Post
    I would like to see either a high level ability, or spell, that gives decent duration fly ability to Bi-ped Mage types.

Why not! Everyone loves to fly!

Flipswitch
    sorry bro, this isn't Second Life.

Ok im going to post a response here that will likely draw volumes of scathing BOO's from many...so be it.
    I play a dragon myself and the whole riding/bi peds flying issue to me is very much being over dramatized by those who play only dragons. I mean no offense by this to any who bear scales and work so hard to attain flight...myself included. What i think really needs to be addressed here is a few things. Diversity, playability, balance for all races in content on quests abilities etc and above all marketability.
    We all know that the dragon race dominates Virtrium's top concerns given that the biggest population on the game is in fact dragons. This in my opinion as a business owner has many disadvantages. Not long back for many reasons im sure, there was a changing of the guard in ownership and it's dev team. In order for Virtrium to be a profitable company and hence be able to keep our beloved game going they need to consider the moaning voice of the masses and what impact it will have on their future to either listen...or not.
    I do not know the population volume on Istaria but i can say that it is not a huge game as games go with the general populace. Now those of you that are going to be old stuffy sticks and preach "We dont care we like things the way they are" here is food for thought. If we just keep things the way they are and never progress forward with suggestions that will make folks happy that do like playing the bi ped races, sooner or later all that will be online are dragons! This last bit is not too far off from what i've seen latley as i rarely see a bi ped in my day to day playing.
    In closing on this let me just say would all of you rather see some insane notion like a bi ped with flight that might draw more players to our home, or keep things the way they are just because it's the way it is and keep things stagnant? What if doing so would draw more people to play? More players equals more paying customers eventually(hopefully anyway) which can help in ensuring the longevity of Istaria. Of course we can all take the stance of Bah humbug and never change anything and perhaps one day we can all sit around and talk about the good old days when we used to be able to play a game that let us fly as dragons...

i think you do make good points, i do want others to come to play the game i enjoy and love to play. but many dragon players who comment on this also have bipeds, and high leveled bipeds. i enjoy the diversity of the two, each race is unique with different balances, not to toot an old horn but need i mention all the schools bipeds get, ( i like that they have different schools) in my opinion i do NOT want them the same, when i log in i throughly enjoy the differences between my dragon and my saris. sure running takes time and hunting is different but that is why i love it. i do not want to play a game where all the races mesh together and just look different on the outside, also on a Lore stance from the game i do believe that there is any other race but dragons that do fly, and sense they are not mindless beasts for it is them who taught the naka all they know, i do not believe that the devs would ever introduce a dragon mount. for that would make a TON of players, ticked off. and like i previously stated there are no other flying races, in istaria. unless you want to ride a swarm of necros. who would rather eat you as dinner.

^ my opinion.

The idea of having mounts in the game is a good one, being allowed to ride on a tamed beetle or tamed wolf or any mob that could be used as mount for that matter.
    The idea of dragon-mounts could be fun for bipeds, but while I personally would take on alts as riders and probably a select few of the people I like, I can also imagine however that some of the dragons among us will never want it unless it is their own alt.

Because no matter how you think of it… It can be viewed as if dragons are a lesser species just barely better then the mobs we all kill

Also the need to actually have a mount in Istaria is really not that high, with road bonusses and especially portals to get you to most things very quickly.

I remember playing SWG when the 3rd movie of Starwars went to the cinema and you could pre-order the expension to be allowed to that magma filled world, but also gaining a house and a hoovering truck looking mount. The mount in itself was not really nice to look at, but the fact that you could sit with 8 or 10 people on it while the owner drove the entire questing group to the next quest location was quite cool and considering that those distances could be quite far it also was useful. Imagine a world like Istaria only with max 4-5 portals instead of the 50 I think we have in Istaria. For such a world it is usefull, Is this true for istaria as well with all its portals?

Also various ideas like having flying potions / flying crystals or dryads being able to fly are fun for bipeds, but they can do the same thing if they level a dragon and finish RoP.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Default Re: Rent a dragon

The option to rent a dragon has nothing to do with players. It's an NPC which you give coin or specific items to get a dragon.

I think it would be a good idea to have an NPC which gives you buffs too.

It used to be that players earned money to buff. It's been long ago that I saw any players do this.

Default Re: Rent a dragon

I've heard Dragons i they would really exist they required hellium to fly and made it in there tummy, so why no give the other races a hellium balloon to fly with, which will eventuallly be empty and then you fall down to ground and 150 death points for to high fall. Just an idea.

Thread Information