Thread: Excessive Downtime

Default Excessive Downtime

Man oh Man,

I understand poop happens but the last three scheduled downtimes have been 12 hours or longer...and now its down during weekend prime time?

Oy

Any insight into what is going on?

Its like lately we are paying for 4 weeks and getting on three weeks of uptime....in a month

Default Re: Excessive Downtime

I really like your passion for the game, and your desire to get back in there and fight the fine fight is commendable...

But...

Today's down time is the first time in a good while that anything has happened un-scheduled. I am sure there is a good reason for doing it, and believe that it will only help us.

So, try not to over react every time there is maintenance. ALL games have occurrences like this and you should really be used to this by now. No need to post every time maint goes over an hour or two. Just turn on a movie to keep your Istarian "jones" at bay, and soon the servers will be back up.

*Hands you a copy of 'The Princess Bride' to watch...*
    Aamer Khan : The Eyes of Istaria : First Herald of Istaria
    Helper to those in need, Guide to the newly gifted, Friend and neighbor to all.

All I am saying m8 is 36 hours and counting of downtime in the last month......by any games standards, that is a LOT

There was a problem with logging some chars in. Either blue sky logins or missing forms etc. One of the servers probably needed maintenance.
    Korth Koragan-

These things happen. Anyone who's played an MMO for any length of time knows that. The Devs wouldn't have brought the server down during prime-time weekend play unless it were absolutely necessary.

Having said that, a little post from someone in the know as to when it might come back up, or even if there is no ETA, would constitute good communications in my book.

And you are correct, Horatio. Our database administrator assures me that he did post on the log in that Chaos was down. I did not see the message myself, as I have been at church since early this morning, so I don't know what it said.

My understanding is that the server had serious enough errors overnight that it needed to be brought down for repairs/maintenance.

Trust me when I say that no one on the team, myself included, wants to be working on a Sunday. So the fact that our DB admin was on the job and monitoring that there was a problem serious enough to require an unscheduled maintenance, in my opinion, speaks very highly to the dedication of this team.

As a victim of the database problems last night, I'm happy that Chaos got fixed on a Sunday and happier to report that my broken character is now able to get logged in and am grateful for those that put in time on a Sunday to get this taken care of so quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Duergos View Post
    All I am saying m8 is 36 hours and counting of downtime in the last month......by any games standards, that is a LOT
    Are you really keeping notes about the downtime?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

You think this is excessive down time?

When I first started playing Ultima Online, my goodness, server went down , literally, every day for a few months, sometimes more than once a day. To me, what your all going through is trivial compared to uo.

EVE got 1 hour minimum each day..

Ok lets do a word problem........

would you rather be down 1 hour everyday or 12 hours ever Tuesday.....

By my reckoning.....

1 hour per day of down time = 7 hours of down time per week

12 hours each Tuesday = 12 hours per week.

There are 168 hours per week.

With one hour down time per week that is 7/168 times 100 = 4.2% downtime

With 12 hours every tuesday we have 12/168 times 100 = 7 percent downtime

Which would you choose?

Let me give you another one.

Would you rather have 10 million dollars cash right now....?

Or maybe you would rather have a penny now and I will double it everyday for 30 days?

Which one eh? Which one?

Tell you what, you give me the 10 million (which btw, is less than your penny example, it takes until day 31 for the payoff to switch) , and then I'll start work on a game server that can be down for just an hour a day... cause right now it takes more than just an hour to simply restart Chaos, much less do anything to it.
    Last edited by Velea; December 8th, 2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Said 20 mil first, not 10

Hi Velea!!

Not complaining...

But I have now observed that for the last four weeks (inclusive of this one), chaos has been down significantly longer than order.....

Is chaos having issues and it simply takes longer to restart it?

Is it because chaos has more players and thus the database is bigger?

As I said, not whining, not complaining....

Just curious.....

I remember when Unity was once more than a week down, because someone at GN just forgot to reset the server at the weekly downtime. LOL

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Chaos always takes longer to come up than Order. I believe the DB is considerably larger than the other shards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Thread Information