Thread: Something to look at...maybe?

Default Something to look at...maybe?

Greetings Fellow Istarians and developers,

As some may have noticed in the Order thread, I am leaving the game for the foreseeable future. While I have enjoyed my time here and will miss the friends I've made and the hunts we shared and the buildings we built...I believe it is finally time to move on. I do not say goodbye, but until next time...

As to next time, and while these points are not what caused me to leave, I can not honestly say they did not make it a little easier:

1) Consider looking and and or streamlining the data transfer/bandwidth, whatever you want to call it. I do realize the new company is small, thusly they have a small development staff and limited resources unlike EVE which I am going to compare Istaria to. I can log into EVE and play for 5 hours and there is less bandwidth used than just logging into Istaria. When I had cable this was no issue, but my location limits me to either 2G/dial-up...and I have very little issues playing EVE...where it can take 10-15 minutes just to log into and load Istaria.

2) Again, I am glad to see things developing in the land and it isn't going stagnant as it did before the great upheaval. I have seen much in the way of fixing little things here and there, currently upgrading Tier 2 areas. There is also the dungeon, yet I am seeing two issues with the direction of changes: a) They seem for the most part to be adventurer oriented, and b) leaning towards group/raid style mobs.

Yes...this is a MMO...but...in the realm of role-playing there are those that prefer the solitary role/play-style, not to mentino those like me that are crafters by heart and adventure to further those ends. I'm seeing nothing coming for crafters, or even hinted at. Not to go into the fiasco years back that affected so many and got people banned, but the items exist...so why haven't we seen some T6 items and formulas? backpacks, scalepacks, etc? Yeah...we've got the cooking knife and I think one other.

3) The NPC exists, and we've heard about the Loyalty Program...but that's been well over a year now and...nothing? enough said there I think.

Over all. I really have to give the development team kudos...they've done a lot with very little. But people don't need big changes (lets not get into politics here) to make them happy...a lot of little changes can do a lot too.

So keep up the good work and...

Until Next Time...

Aaelefein
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Default Re: Something to look at...maybe?

2) Again, I am glad to see things developing in the land and it isn't going stagnant as it did before the great upheaval. I have seen much in the way of fixing little things here and there, currently upgrading Tier 2 areas. There is also the dungeon, yet I am seeing two issues with the direction of changes: a) They seem for the most part to be adventurer oriented, and b) leaning towards group/raid style mobs.
    You are mistaken I am afraid. The move is not towards this, but rather to address a great inequity between the two. There has been since launch of Istaria relatively little in the way of adventuring content and we are trying to rectify that.

You are also mistaken that no new crafting content has been added. Much has been added, in fact: Confectioner, Poisons, New cargo disks, world projects in Dralnok's Doom, new techniques for Dragons, Dragon tool claws, Lair murals, Transmutation chamber, Fall Harvest plot decorations, Master level forms for all resource processing, and a couple new Dragon spells. Now, granted, some of these also benefits adventurers but that is a lot of crafting, is it not?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

the dragon cave for the epic spell,
    the wall in Aughundell

oh yes it was really much to craft-
    thy for putting it in, and thy all who build it up.
    It was real fun!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

The only problem with world projects, is that they are limited.

Once they are built, and finished, that's it. They stay built/finished. Those lucky few who were leveled/ready/stockpiled materials jumped right in on the fun and completed it wham wham wham, while some players who were busy with other things, missed out on some of the action.

The only thing though is that I dunno how you'd actually remedy this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    The only problem with world projects, is that they are limited.

Once they are built, and finished, that's it. They stay built/finished. Those lucky few who were leveled/ready/stockpiled materials jumped right in on the fun and completed it wham wham wham, while some players who were busy with other things, missed out on some of the action.

The only thing though is that I dunno how you'd actually remedy this.
    True, they do have that drawback. Thats the big question for world projects though, isn't it? How do you make projects that require player cooperation and alter the world itself but at the same time create content for later players? The unfortunate answer is that unless you do it in an instance, you cannot.

And if done in an instance it really isn't world-changing then. So it becomes less exciting for some players who wish to make their impact upon the game-world.

Bottom line, all you can do is try to create more world projects (of course, at some point you have to either add more world or destroy old stuff to get more projects). Its a difficult cycle to maintain.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    True, they do have that drawback. Thats the big question for world projects though, isn't it? How do you make projects that require player cooperation and alter the world itself but at the same time create content for later players? The unfortunate answer is that unless you do it in an instance, you cannot.

And if done in an instance it really isn't world-changing then. So it becomes less exciting for some players who wish to make their impact upon the game-world.

Bottom line, all you can do is try to create more world projects (of course, at some point you have to either add more world or destroy old stuff to get more projects). Its a difficult cycle to maintain.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

World Projects are cool, but sadly, limited. Maybe someday I'll have a biped with enough crafting (or maybe work on a cave) and be able to look at something and say "I did that..." but... alas, I'm a looooong ways off from that kind of goal.

Ah well. Maybe someday. lol.

I just returned when I found out that the game was vista compatable.. I see many changes.. especially less lag. I am only on a basic account and will probably upgrade.. I see this company doing great things.. I only wish I could help them and give them ideas.. personally? visit older games Virtrium.. do what works like what made classics EQ and Asherons call.. while I say this I dont mean steal but get ideas from what has worked in the past.. NEWS in game? get a town crier to spout off quests and changes...mob spawns... when the game opend up they had an idea for undead attacking.. try it on a smaller scale and see what happens... I know your working very hard and your limited... (wishs he could help) actual dungeons? portals dungeons? puzzles to work out.. switches to trip? dont even know if these are possible.. anyway keep doin what you are doing it is well accepted thank you Niknak aka Cata aka main account not open Akkuma

Thread Information