Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Order Server and Lack of Roleplayers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Order Server and Lack of Roleplayers

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkuu View Post
    I for one am iffy on that idea of how they get fur...Biologically speaking Saris should be compatible with Saris and Saris ONLY. Now if they want to argue that maybe through alteration magics during conception they made it possible THEN I will accept it as having happened that way but I require that extra note.
    I was using it also as an example. Honestly I can't see it happening and really the only race I know dragons have done anything with in many Draconic Lore is Humans.

Which is how you get Draconians, or whatever there name was again that is escaping my mind. I was pretty sure though it was Draconians (Half human - Half Dragons).

Though if we get down to all out honesty-- that can't happen in Istaria...
    and I sometimes wonder if soul-binding to another being can even be done.

You know, creating a pact and all that stuff.

Well, technically if you really want to streatch things a bit (this idea of course wouldn't exactly work well for hatchlings.. but..) technically you create an adult version of yourself in the rite of passage, it is supposibly an exact image of you, but what if you did something wrong? Minor missed detail perhaps? That causes the change in look or other random different things that happen.

Its a suggestion! Not sure if its a good one as I am not sure if you CAN mess that up and have it be useable still, but its something to work off of that could possibly cause some certain odd dragons to come into existance in the world. Anyways, that aside.. sorry, like to offer suggestions when I can!

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Ahhhh, ok thank you Shian that helps. "Ancient only" knowledge . Does the AROP mention anything about things crossing the Gate to our plane - or "star dragons" or whatever? I just didnt know if this was a "game term" or just a term some RPers made up and now its something that is "assumed" everyone knows.

Kinda like the "dragon language"...some people made it up - but noone ever assumes (or should never) every dragon they come across has any clue what they're saying if they choose to use it. And if they choose not to use it its cool (or it better be!)
    TMK, that's exactly what happened. It is simply an RP term made up by players. It caught on and became a widely used term like the dragon language. The ROP dosen't mention things coming out of the gate, but as it dosen't, players took this as 'Well, that dosen't mean it can't happen.'

The Gate of Embers is also how I explained how Nam got from Chaos to Order, in RP terms, when I did my transfer. Well, it was a bit more complex than that but you get the idea.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

I must say, I havn't come around to many Dragons who "shouldn't exist" to be honest.. not one I have met has been to strange to me. Even the little, grutlet sized dragon was fine for me.. who knows what can happen during the ascention after all

My dragon is an albino.. I don't think that strechtes it to much either. It can happen, even with dragons.
    I really enjoy the rp on Order, even if I don't have that much time to play Istaria.

As for vampiric or two-headed and so on... I could take the vampiric one serious, if that dragon is just one who likes blood but doesn't need to feed on it or is truely a vampire. And two-headed... four winged... I can't really take that.

Well niean A'sasha - I hope to see you in the skies again - but I will say I keep my RP light and right now I have no heavy-RP-ties (i.e. no long running plots) with anyone. I just tend to login in the daytime right now and RP with the European crew who is normally on then (me being in the US).

Not saying I wouldn't like more regular/serious/longer-involved RPing - but I'm getting my RP fix just chatting away in RP and Dragon with whomever wants to RP there.

And no Tera - none of the vampiric types of dragons I've run into DON'T feed. They do - and not just on blood...

That's why I started lumping them in with cannibals - cuz its never a vampiric dragon who feeds on say..Saris. Frith could possibly be ok with that..excusing it as an extreme lunus and all .

Though Stars that would be an excellent use of in game lore to fashion a "woopsie" in the Ascension. But you're right, doesn't really help all the non-biologically-probable-mutant hatchlings I've come across.

And thank you for the clarification, Shian. Outside of Phoenix's RP stories I've never heard anyone use the term "Star dragon" in game, seriously - ever. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something key in the lore that would shed a different light on some things .

Oh and Tera - I wouldn't consider an albino (or any other actual natural deviance from the norm such as blindness or deafness or muteness or whatever) dragon "breaking" lore. Certainly nothing I would think 99.9% of people would have problems with (hey the game colors allow for that anyway lol). I'm speaking more of the dragon who walks by and makes you go "WHAAAaaaa??"

(and back from vacation..wee!)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Blog Entries

Now, for my new pet peeve, which I will be drilling into people on the RP-C.

No use of Emoticons for IC conversation!!

I have been nice on the subject, I typically let it slide, when I saw maybe one-- or two people doing it.. but lately there has been an increasing number, so now I've decided I'm gonna throw the hammer down.
    Emoticons are a bad form of RP, it looks-- kiddie, unprofessional, and lets face it.. real life you can't make your face do keyboard stuff.

Guess what irks me the worst about it, is cause it shows laziness on someone's part, or lack of imagination.
    I can, however by-pass bad spelling or grammer, because, I myself, am horrible at it. Never been really good at the written form, but I do try.

Perhaps the curse of being an artist and having an accent when taught on phonics. XD
    Curse you Texas draw!

I hate seeing emoticons in IC messages myself.

I try to overlook it the best I can, but when it is constant, I start distancing myself from said player. One or two occasions here-and-there I can just pretend as they didn't happen. But how hard is it, really, to type out what your characters' facial expressions are? You can get SO much more detail by typing it out instead of typing a stupid pseudo-smiley face or some-crap.

Also, lack of punctuation and capitalization also irks me. I understand if English isn't someone's primary language, but in MOST languages that use the same Alphabet (Spanish, French, English, Italian, etc), the capitalization and punctuation rules are very similar. Some misspelling now and then I can understand, but when I see a message with no punctuation and absolutely nothing capitalized (or worse, all-caps), I just.... I'm sorry. I can't RP with that.

I tend to take odd punctuation/lack of capitalization as a character's "accent". For example, Awdz almost never uses upper case because she's little and thus has a little voice, signified by no capitals.

That said, I hate it when folks use instant messaging shorthand (e.g., cn u c it 2?). I typically roleplay that I am having a hard time understanding that accent, to the point of "misunderstanding" what they want if they keep on with it even after I send them a /tell asking them to spell things out.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    I tend to take odd punctuation/lack of capitalization as a character's "accent". For example, Awdz almost never uses upper case because she's little and thus has a little voice, signified by no capitals.

That said, I hate it when folks use instant messaging shorthand (e.g., cn u c it 2?). I typically roleplay that I am having a hard time understanding that accent, to the point of "misunderstanding" what they want if they keep on with it even after I send them a /tell asking them to spell things out.
    If there's an actual IC reason that is explained, then sure, I'll make an exception.

I used to frequent a D&D setting chatroom, and there was this very good Rper there who RP'd a Mercury Dragon.

Not sure how many people know the significance of this, but Mercury Dragons talk very fast. As such, the person would never put spaces in the dialogue, and it was as hard to read, as it would have been hard to understand verbally, lol.

But they had an IC reason to do so; and it was fine for that reason.

Oh sure, "typos" for accent purposes, or just typos like teh and such are so common - I overlook them cuz I make them myself. Missing a comma or a period or runon sentences here and there..same thing. We all do it, and long as I can understand it I'm fine.

But yea Neva we were in the same chat yesterday...lol. Emoticons are the same as "old smileys" - RP doesn't welcome them. Never has, and never will.

And honestly .>> or >>.<< I have no idea wth that is anyway. I've never understood those newfangled "emoticon" shortcuts..they don't look like a face or anything else so..its not hard for me to look at someoen funny if they try to do that IC.

I will also just politely tell them that emoticons/smileys are not really used in RP - we spell things out. If you use emoticons/smilieys then (()) or not I assume you mean something OOC and won't respond ICily..I do that all the time in dragon chat since my use of (( )) in there is hit or miss depending on if any RP is actually occuring. (i.e. if noone's RPing then I don't use (( )) cuz that is a bit pointless..)

So I'll just explain it. So far its not really been a problem. Once you tell someone you're not responding to emoticons they figure it out...if they want to stay IC that is..lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    If there's an actual IC reason that is explained, then sure, I'll make an exception.

I used to frequent a D&D setting chatroom, and there was this very good Rper there who RP'd a Mercury Dragon.

Not sure how many people know the significance of this, but Mercury Dragons talk very fast. As such, the person would never put spaces in the dialogue, and it was as hard to read, as it would have been hard to understand verbally, lol.

But they had an IC reason to do so; and it was fine for that reason.
    I have a character like that, who talks really really fast and I pretty much do that, cause well, its expected. XD
    Though, kinda glad people figure that out since all my type is like:
    Ohlookshineyobject! *snatches it up.*

Talking fast characters fun, but when the chat bugs out, kinda hard to do stuff right then. XD

But yeah, I don't mind all caps or lower cases as long has it makes since, like you kinda expect a half-giant to be on a bit of the 'loud' side, and you kinda expect a gnome to be quiet.
    Dwarf though--

we all know they are loud and proud even if they are short farts!

I like ice cream.

On that note, I skipped all the blah-blah in this thread.
    When I played, we used public channels. A few of us still pulled it off around the OOC/IC whatever crap. And we even involved the roleplayers that weren't so great because we'd play with anybody.

Good times.

It used to happen. When I come back, I'll probably do it again!
    __________________________________________________ __________

Oh, I use public and private channels - wherever I can find RP I RP and I involve as many as are speaking.

Now though I just let them know that I don't RP with non-existant creatures, so IC wise I see a dragon (or a saris or a human or whatever) and they can either be ok with this or I can not RP with them, their choice.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

I recently invited an RPer to try the trial of Istaria. She's a hatchling at the moment, but you might find some good RP if you go bother her! Or just invite her to the Dragon channel.

Name is... Syatnix I think?

Well I Hope YOU told her about the dragon channel, told her to get her dragony butt in there!

Also tell her about the roleplay channel - its been pretty active of late!

(I say that because the odds of me running into her otherwise are prolly pretty low as I play in the afternoon US time heh)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Well, I haven't actually played in like a year, so my memory is a bit foggy on these things. I do seem to recall that Dragon chat was auto-joined, once upon a time. I dunno when she plays either, to make things more complex XD

Well Back in my day it was the only Server to be on. Of course there were other before then that were even better but I can remember beta.

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfSuns View Post
    Well, I haven't actually played in like a year, so my memory is a bit foggy on these things. I do seem to recall that Dragon chat was auto-joined, once upon a time. I dunno when she plays either, to make things more complex XD
    I am not sure it is still auto joined. I believe when I made my Draggy she was told she "Should" open it but not forced to. I think I did open it for like half an hour while I was busy doing other things then closed it and never looked back. Mostly kept New Players open instead. (initially anyway)

So many are either quiting the game or moving to other servers, either that or doing the same as me, just not RPing at all, and just gameplaying/chatting. I know there have been several rumorspreaders chasing out a lot of the RPers, as well as folks claiming others are godmodding, and not RPing right. Yeah many of the newer players are RPing off the wall, and getting farther from Istarian lore. which is mainly why I no longer RP in public chatrooms, or in New Trismus anymore. the community`s getting worse and worse every day it seems, and all the people I enjoy RPing with are leaving. sadly I`m beginning to wonder why I even stay on the Order shard anymore.
    I might just quite for a while, and move to blight. Just to relieve some tensions I currently have. Since there`s virtualy NO RP on Order anymore, why even call it a role play server? there`s needs to be rule enforced to make it enjoyable again. What ever happened to the Role Play Police? O.o

Thread Information