Thread: Bite Ability: Shouldn't it be Bleed instead of Pierce?

Default Bite Ability: Shouldn't it be Bleed instead of Pierce?

This doesn't make sense to me.

Why is the Bite's DoT classified as "pierce" damage instead of "bleed" damage?

I thought the whole premise of Bite was that you bite the enemy, opening wounds that bleed, causing damage-over-time?

It seems kind of silly to me (while I hunt Flame Beetles...) that I Bite a beetle.... it uses Hardened Shell, and suddenly the DoTs start doing 0-10 damage instead of their usual 20-30.

If you're already bleeding, why does increasing your armor decrease the damage taken?

That doesn't make much sense, does it?

Default Re: Bite Ability: Shouldn't it be Bleed instead of Pierce?

I have been wondering the same thing for many years...
    However the answer that I got concerning the "bleed" damage when I asked in the past was that it does not exist and considering the bite pierces the "skin" when it hits the mob it is made into "Pierce" damage

The whole Hardened Shell thing is indeed really weird and should be changed...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

It's also kind of amusing that Bite's initial damage strike does slash damage, while the DoT does pierce. I certainly don't think of a bite as a "slash." The DoT off Bite does conflict with the actual DoT named "Bleed" though.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I noticed this conflict myself a few days ago when I was testing the rending techkit... Which makes it pretty much useless.

Concerning the damage types you are forgetting one major aspect of Istaria: It's not meant to make sense. ;p

Agreed on the slash part. It should be pierce.

But there is no bleed damage-type. The fact that it was set to that for so long was a bug that nobody reported (and we weren't aware of).

Anyway, you are right that the DoT damage from the Bite should not be reduced by Hardened Shell or any other resistance.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; March 11th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

[QUOTE=Dhalin;242747]This doesn't make sense to me.

Why is the Bite's DoT classified as "pierce" damage instead of "bleed" damage?

I thought the whole premise of Bite was that you bite the enemy, opening wounds that bleed, causing damage-over-time?

It seems kind of silly to me (while I hunt Flame Beetles...) that I Bite a beetle.... it uses Hardened Shell, and suddenly the DoTs start doing 0-10 damage instead of their usual 20-30.

If you're already bleeding, why does increasing your armor decrease the damage taken?

That doesn't make much sense, does it?

I agree

Thread Information