Thread: RoP Revamp?

Default RoP Revamp?

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that the RoP is scheduled for a revamp with the next major content update.

But when is this likely to be?

My alt and my partner's character are almost ready to start theirs - after doing a lot more levelling than the bare minimum - and I don't really want to start, get half the quest done, then have the whole thing change so we have to start all over again... but I also don't particularly want to have to wait several weeks to start "just-in-case they revamp it next Tuesday".

Any sort of idea when it's likely to change?

If it's the next couple of weeks, then we'll just get some more levels and abilities under our respective scales and do the "revamped" version of the quest, but if it's going to be longer than that, we'll start sooner so we can finish it before the change happens.
    - Kesqui - Formerly of Ice, now of Chaos, lair in Liak
    First Rebirth 12-12-2003 / Ascended to Ancient 12-12-2010

Default Re: RoP Revamp?

Also what does revamped mean? like changed entirely? or just fixing bugs?

*eagerly awaits dev comments*

I think you are perfectly safe starting it. There hasen't even been a patch to blight regarding this revamp and if history is any marker, after it is put on blight it will be there for several weeks before coming live being it needs to be checked for bugs then bugs fixed and those checked for bugs lol.
    "Close your mind to stress and pain, fight till you're no longer sane. Let not one **** cur pass by, How many of them can we make die!!"
    "March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander
    Drakarr Lunus dragon, Chaos 100 ADV 100 DCRA 80 LSH

Quote Originally Posted by AguaRush View Post
    Also what does revamped mean? like changed entirely? or just fixing bugs?

*eagerly awaits dev comments*
    I fear a complete revamp. Their time is IMHO better spend making new stuff than messing around with old - working - stuff.
    Dakoren Ironhand - Multiclassed Half-Giant
    Krondel Bloodclaw - Ancient Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dakoren Ironhand View Post
    I fear a complete revamp. Their time is IMHO better spend making new stuff than messing around with old - working - stuff.
    We spend quite a bit of time helping people who have gotten stuck in the RoP because it was so poorly put together originally. This is actually being done to save us time.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

So is the time frame pretty quick on this? I have a dragon hatchie on Blight that is approaching the time to do his RoP. If you're going to do this revamp right away, I'll hold him back and use him for testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    So is the time frame pretty quick on this? I have a dragon hatchie on Blight that is approaching the time to do his RoP. If you're going to do this revamp right away, I'll hold him back and use him for testing it.
    We are working on it presently. But I cannot give you an ETA of when it will hit blight. And remember, it must go to blight for testing first.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

One must fix the old in order to make anew. And if the old can be done better, why not, and if it is already pretty good, no point in messing with it.

We all Istaria has a bunch of bugs in it, loop holes, and edges of the world that forgotten to be filled in.. or some odd shortcut that was never really fixed.

However, what I like to know is what you guys are changing in RoP, since I had to do the old one. So it will be fun to do the revamp with the new hatchlings I have and see how it plays out differently.

(and Yes, I know, non-helpful comment, but I do support our devs! Go Guys!)

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    However, what I like to know is what you guys are changing in RoP, since I had to do the old one. So it will be fun to do the revamp with the new hatchlings I have and see how it plays out differently.
    Structure, not content. The way it works behind the scenes, not the story it tells.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Structure, not content. The way it works behind the scenes, not the story it tells.
    Ahh, I see! Well, good luck anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    So things collected for the current version - or partially completed sections of the quest - will still be correct for the "revamped" version?

What I'm asking, really, is "If I start just as the changes are patched to blight, and can't finish before the changes are patched to live, am I going to have to start all over - or do *different* things?"

Unfortunately there is no way to "revamp" the quest in such a way that someone in the middle of it when it is patch to the servers will be able to continue it after the revamp.

Then people should either wait with starting their RoP, or hurry up to finish it before the revamp hits the live server.

But I feel sorry for the people that are then stuck in their RoP (and there will be people, I am sure of), probably they have to restart then, or the old RoP completed quests actually furbars their restart. Maybe add a option to the Historian to "clean" out the old RoP quests in case you are stuck?

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Unfortunately there is no way to do this automatically via an NPC. There are simply too many options, and it depends heavily on what order someone did the sub-quests on, etc.

However, we will be working on a method for transitioning people between pre-revamp and post-revamp so that it goes as smoothly as possible.

An idea might be sending an e-mail to all subscriptions every week for a period of a few weeks prior to the patching to live servers. If people are still stuck when this is done they should read their e-mails more often...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

We couldn't do that. We have to be very careful about how many times per month we send a message to all subscribers.

However, we can and will be posting something as a log in message once the revamp goes to testing on Blight to hopefully alert players to what's happening.

Really, honest, folks, this is something that we're carefully thinking through and planning.

If its slated to be in the next "major content revamp" patch, and not just its own - I don't think anyone who starts it in the next month or so has any problems to worry about.

Major Content patches take *months* for our team to develop. So when something is coming "later" it could literally sometimes mean years.

I don't expect THIS will take years (unless say they aren't rolling it out until another tier revamp).

But I certainly don't see any of this going live within the next six weeks or so.

So if you've got a hatchling - don't put them on hold would be my advice. You may not be ascending for months if you do that. Whereas if you're near starting, it only takes a few days (or one night if you've got a committed group) to finish up your ROP. Most hatchies are done with it in less than a week.

Don't see this as something that's goign to be put on blight next week in other words...honestly I'll be impresed if it happens in less than 3 months .

(not at all meant as a slam on our dev team, just commenting on past track record and knowing they are small and its a lot to do)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Well, my dragon on Blight will stay a hatchling until the revamp is ready to test - and if he becomes a 100 hatchling, then that's the way it goes

You're far more patient than I am..lol.

But then that's probably why you're on Blight, and I" not!

Absolutely anyone has that option, I just thought I'd add my three cents (cuz I'm worth more than 2 cents! ) about how long this could be taking for those say planning on starting next week or something..
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I'd like to thank all the devs for their responses - much appreciated to have a "it isn't going to happen before...." time scale.

Now to convince my alt that, although she's not far off level 60, it's not necessarily worth hanging on just that little longer and getting Gold Rage VI before starting RoP.... it's become exceedingly difficult to do so!

Thread Information