Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .NET Version: Feedback Needed

Default .NET Version: Feedback Needed

The development team is working on an series of updates for the launcher. We've been using .NET 2.0 for a while since it seems like most people have that version (and it comes with Windows 7). .NET 2.0 has some issues that come up when .NET 3.x is installed and then various service packs are installed. A reinstall of .NET solves the issue, but that's small consolation for someone who is having trouble with the launcher.

The development asked me to reach out the community and see what players would think about us upgrading the launcher to .NET 3.5.

Arrow Re: .NET Version: Feedback Needed

I currently have all versions and service packs installed up through .NET 4.0 (I do software development). So, not an issue for me since .NET 3.5 SP1 is already in place.

Sent
    N.B.: I reserve the right to be wrong and exercise it frequently.
    AzureFire - Spiritist - Chaos
    Glormf Sulfurous - Hatchie - Chaos
    Ruddy Bloke - Reaver - Chaos

Default Re: .NET Version: Feedback Needed

It would force people to go out and get .NET 3.5, but otherwise, I don't really see a problem with this.

Some people might not like having to re-install or update their .NET to continue to play Istaria, but sometimes... updates are necessary.

Partly I blame Microsoft, though... aren't these things supposed to be backwards-compatible?

That leads me to ask, though... "upgrading" the launcher so that it uses (and requires!) 3.5 makes it sound like that we could add new features to the launcher that could not be done previously... what sort of benefits would this give us? Or would the launcher remain identical, and nothing new added, and it wouldn't be much of an "upgrade" at all?

There are already many new features on the launcher that is in testing on Blight already. Please keep this particular topic on track about just the .NET upgrade. We welcome your thoughts and feedback on the launcher on the thread on the Blight forum for discussion of the launcher.

I think it would be a good idea to explore a .net 3.5 version of the launcher. Perhaps make it available as a seperate download for testing purposes? Once enough feedback has been provided and you are confident in the 3.5 launcher, it can be made the standard. Is something like this possible or would the patching process uninstall it everytime...

I would like to see a .net 3.5 version of the launcher myself, possibly have it as a seperate download like Guaran mentioned.
    I personally havn't experianced any problems with .net 2.0 but I have known a few that have had massive issues with it and would probably be more then grateful for a .net 3.5 launcher.

Blog Entries

I know I am currently sitting on windows XP Pro with .NET version 3.5

I honestly and admittedly, don't know what the deal with .NET is. Since it was something I was never taught and probably never even looked into..
    So I can't say much on this subject. ^^;

If .net 3.5 is troublesome to download and install you will get a serious back lash. Most people dislike upgrading because of the hassle of actually having to go get a file and downloading it and then installing it in its proper place. Most people no nothing of technical things when it comes to PCs.

If you do it you had better make absolutely sure it works without a hitch on all systems and O/Ses. Blaming MS, if there are problems, won't help or excuse the developers neither because MS was not the one that made (subscribers will see it as forced) players update to something newer. Just a forewarning so be aware of what you are doing and asking your players to do.

From what I've seen there are still more people running XP and Vista then are at Win 7 yet, so most will still have to download .NET anyway so might as well use the current version. As long as there is ample instructions on how to get the 3.5 framework I see no real harm in upgrading. 3.5 is much better then 2.0 from a developer standpoint from my experience in web dev anywho.
    Shiarla Deneath | Veeka Sarahnk | Tryll Fallenleaf

A Fantasy MMORPG Parody

A major point to consider is how many people are actually running .NET 3.5. I'm not up to speed with whether or not the .NET 3.5 runtime comes down in an automatic update, though I'm assuming that's not the case for people using XP. (It's been awhile since I installed Windows...)

Fortunately, getting an idea of the deployment of .NET 3.5+ across the player base is pretty easy -- insturment the launcher if need be and examine the user agents in the web server's log files.

Note that .NET 3.5 being "easily installed" isn't a mitigating factor for the above point, since people may be actively avoiding installation due to the same compatibility issues prompting the move from .NET 2.0 to 3.5; or they just don't want to risk breaking their Windows install.

... Maybe we should just release a "live cd" for Istaria. Pop it in, boot, and play.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    A major point to consider is how many people are actually running .NET 3.5. I'm not up to speed with whether or not the .NET 3.5 runtime comes down in an automatic update, though I'm assuming that's not the case for people using XP. (It's been awhile since I installed Windows...)
    Well, I have Windows XP Professional, and it was installed with Service Pack 2 and if people do what they should and let Windows update itself, it updated the .Net from 2.0 to 3.5 with Service Pack 3 or sometime after, because I am using 3.5

There should really be no excuse for people who have XP to not have it, unless they don't like windows update itself and thus may have a pirated version.

I'm running XP Home, service Pack 3 with .NET 3.5 with service pack one.

The only problems I've had have been the referenced memory error at 0x00000010, which deleting the cache has corrected.

Being dropped to desktop after any time from 8 to 12 hours in the game, which seems dependent on how many times I teleport in-game.

I've had the time-out-of-sync error.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Wasn't there an issue last year, that forced everyone to upgrade to .NET 3.5 anyway? I seem to remember that happening...so making players upgrade may be a moot point.

Anyhoo, anything that can be done to improve the launcher is thumbs-up, in my book...

Quote Originally Posted by Radamanthas View Post
    Wasn't there an issue last year, that forced everyone to upgrade to .NET 3.5 anyway? I seem to remember that happening...so making players upgrade may be a moot point.

Anyhoo, anything that can be done to improve the launcher is thumbs-up, in my book...
    Things that I remember

1. Windows Vista came with .NET 3.0 and didnt have backwards compatibility to older versions of .NET (NB .NET 3.5 resolved this)

2. There was an issue with .NET and a windows update that caused the patcher to lockup. The workaround was to install .NET 3.5 and the hotfixes.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I say go for it if it will make the launcher have less errors. Most people should have .NET 3.5 installed, and if they don't it's a simple matter to go to windows update and install .NET 3.5
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    I say go for it if it will make the launcher have less errors. Most people should have .NET 3.5 installed, and if they don't it's a simple matter to go to windows update and install .NET 3.5
    Not always simple, as I know a number of folk that can't/won't go to windows update for various reasons. Though, is easily fixed by offering a download containing the installer, without having to go to update.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Quote Originally Posted by walkerglassmire View Post
    Not always simple, as I know a number of folk that can't/won't go to windows update for various reasons. Though, is easily fixed by offering a download containing the installer, without having to go to update.
    Pretty much all of these people that I know have a pirated copy of windows. I don't think we need to cater to them.

fyi the .net installers can be manually downloaded and installed without using windows update.

$0.02:

Steelclaw's point of checking to see how many people have 3.5+ already is good. Personally .NET whatevers fall into that nebulous mental category of "uh... they make me install it, and none of my computer-savvy friends scream about how it's the Antichrist, so I'll just keep it as updated as the program demands." I assume I have it, since I can play the game, but heck if I know what version it is.

If you do go through with upgrading it, please consider lots of big, visible "go here to get the new .NET" links. In neon, if possible. I'm not technologically challenged, but I am very lazy and I hate googling for utilities due to a fear of getting phished. I don't quite expect programs that demand X utility to install them for me, but if they can make it as easy as possible to update everything, I am much happier.

A quick question: what IS the benefit of 3.5+ over 2.0? Stability? Easier for developers to work with? No, I don't want to derail this into a discussion of pros and cons, but if anyone's even considering switching, I assume there's a reason and I'm always interested in what the reason(s) is/are.

I hate the idea. In fact I categorically hate .Net, but I guess that's essentially off-topic.

.Net 3.5 is not on windows 2k

I occasionally play on my win2k laptop and a .NET 3.5 launcher would not work on it. There would need to be a way to launch using older .NET or a different method.

Thread Information