Thread: Scout Training Points?

Default Scout Training Points?

Hello,
    I made a elven Scout today. I'm thinking of possibly switching to Ranger later on but for now I'm wondering how best to place the training points. I got my guy up to level 4 and so far I have been putting the points into Bow, Dex, and Str equally each time he leveled. Not really knowing any better I figure these three are the most important to a scout.

So I'm wondering how best I should be placing my TPs. Should I be maxing any one area like , Bow or dex? Or should I keep spreading them out evenly? Whats going to give me the most bang for my buck point wise when it comes to a good scout build?

Also is there a way to do a keybind command or something that will swap out the bow for sword(or any other weapon) and shield once the mob comes into melee range? I know ideally we should kill from a distance, which I want to do, but I do realize often that doesn't happen.

Default Re: Scout Training Points?

I think you have a good plan for training points. You can always change your mind later as you learn more about playing your character.

I get the sense that many scouts/rangers don't bother going into melee at close range. That said, you can make a macro by right clicking on an empty hotbutton key.

The simplest macro would be two commands:
    • Equip <sword>
    • Equip <shield>
    You choose equip from the pulldown list on the left of the macro window (near top) and drag the appropriate piece of equipment to the window. Add an icon by clicking on the icon blank and a tool tip and save it.

I generally add an Action: Attack line to the macro and use it as my start combat button so that I don't have to worry about beating on baddies with my harvest knife.
    Members of The Eyes of Istaria on Chaos; Swordmage on the Wiki.
    Bipeds: Gwendora and Flinq Armstrong
    Dragon: Gildenstern

As any Archer class, be it Scout, Ranger, Elemental Archer, or Crossbowman; the most important stats for you are Bow and Dexterity; that is all *nods*

Strength isn't too bad, but then, you can take the Fitter craft class to up that, which gives 10 STR per level...

I'd also recommend taking the Weaver craft class, which gives 10 dexterity per level.

When you finish those two classes... you should be sitting at, about... 1030 STR and Dexterity

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Basically I had been adding a point to Bow, Dex, and Str each level. I'm only at L12 (its an alt char so only play it occasionally) so far but I'm not real happy with my damage. I know its still way early but I just have the feeling I need more bow. Looking at some bows I see their use is based on how high bow skill is. The better bows are the path to more damage I feel but if I don't get my bow skill up I'm not going to get to use those better bows any time soon. So for now I've decided not to put any more points into str. All bow/dex from here on out unless I find a better idea.

Thanks for the input

Most bows also have a level requirement, which should be the limiting factor unless you are a ranger (9 bow per level instead of 10 for scout/elem archer). That said, your plan is a good one and you can always buy back your strength training points if you are happy with the dex/bow emphasis.

I would suggest getting a crafted bow with a weapon socket tech. You can then install one of the weapon crystals that drop from skeletons; these will give a chance for bonus damage or added stats.
    Members of The Eyes of Istaria on Chaos; Swordmage on the Wiki.
    Bipeds: Gwendora and Flinq Armstrong
    Dragon: Gildenstern

Thread Information