Thread: "That Song" and CAPD

Default "That Song" and CAPD

Arrrgh.

Okay, I just spent the last half an hour plus trying to find a song I keep hearing on the radio at work.

This particular radio station puts "Tags" on each song, so that at the end of the song, a guy or girl says the name and artist of the song.

The problem is, every time they say it, it is too "garbled" (especially for me who has CAPD) to make out.

I could swear the person said something like "Kate Johnson" or "Katie Johnson" or something like that, but googling that comes up with nothing, so I'm stuck again...

I can't understand any of the lyrics anywhere in the song, and I went so far, as to even go to the radio's website (they have a flash plugin that lets you see what songs were played when), and started Youtubing everything I saw that I didn't recognize already.

The problem is, the station only plays this song like once a day, and I haven't heard it for a few days and when I do, I always seem to forget to write down what time it played so I can look it up when I get home.

I hate it when I can't find out what the heck a song is. Gah. Maybe someday I'll get ahold of this song. It sounded kinda decent, and I wanted to hear all of it with headphones (and lyrics), and maybe even buy it if I liked it enough.

Otherwise, CAPD sucks. lol. I'm glad I have an excellent sound memory though, to offset it.

Edit: For those wondering what CAPD is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditor...ssing_disorder

Basically, I hear that something was said, but sometimes it just sounds like garbled junk, mish-mashed syllables, etc.
    Last edited by Dhalin; September 10th, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

Default Re: "That Song" and CAPD

I have a similar problem. There's a song that played every night on the radio for a month. Loved the song. It was catchy and I remember the tune well. Words not so much.

Problem is, it's in Japanese, so the lyrics I can actually remember, I'm probably not spelling correctly so searches come up empty. Benn looking for it for a year now.

Call the radiostation? They must know what they played?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    I have a similar problem. There's a song that played every night on the radio for a month. Loved the song. It was catchy and I remember the tune well. Words not so much.

Problem is, it's in Japanese, so the lyrics I can actually remember, I'm probably not spelling correctly so searches come up empty. Benn looking for it for a year now.
    I know there's a lot of J-Pop songs out there, but it wouldn't happen to be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-CJJyjlMqQ

would it? lol.

Doubt it, but thought I'd try anyways.

@Sigi:

There's an online thingie that lets you view everything played in the last 24 hours and when it was played, I just need to:

1). Be at work when its played.
    2). Recognize that it is "that song" (I know the song by about 30 seconds near the end of the song).
    3). Look at what time it is.
    4). Remember to look it up when I get home.

I'm sure I'll get the opportunity here sometime. lol. Sadly, as I said before, it is a fairly rare occurrence that the song is played. But who knows...

oy I don't see how you can like a song if you don't hear/know/understand the lyrics..

To me its ALL about the lyrics, and if I dont' like the lyrics then I usually don't like the song..

ANd if I can't understand the lyrics, I rarely like a song..heh.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    oy I don't see how you can like a song if you don't hear/know/understand the lyrics..

To me its ALL about the lyrics, and if I dont' like the lyrics then I usually don't like the song..

ANd if I can't understand the lyrics, I rarely like a song..heh.
    I can't speak for others, but for myself (remember the CAPD link above?), I don't usually understand more than half of a song even if it is in English, so I'm used to "hearing" gibberish anyways.

For me, Music is about Sound -- Music _and_ Vocals combined. The Vocals don't have to be words, or even coherent words. Heck, I like instrumentals and video game music too. Music that has chanting and other

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...SingingSimlish

is cool too if it is done right!

And then, if I _really_ like a song, especially if I can find the translation like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwT3C7HCAs4

that shows both languages side-by-side while the song is playing, sometimes I pick up pieces of another language, and I'll hear a phrase spoken (or written) in that language and I'm like "hey I know what that is!"

Some songs (like the 2nd I linked) can sound absolutely magical, for the sole reason that it was sung in another language (depending on the language -- Swedish can sound really nice if done right in the above example).

Edit: Arrgh! You can't hypertext regular text over here? Anyone know the forum code for that?

Update:

The song in question turned out to be KT Tunstall's "Fade like a Shadow".

I somehow Mondegreen'd (TVTropes that, if you don't know what it means) that into "Katie Johnston".

Which isn't that far off:

KT sounds like "Katie" and there's an "st" in the middle of the word... "John" can sound close to "Tun" and "all" can sound close to "on" depending on how exactly a person says it.

Well, at least I know what the song is now. lol.

On the subject of Mondegreens... for the longest time, I thought Prince's "Raspberry Beret" was "Raspberry Parade". lol.

Thread Information