Thread: How to Train Your Dragon

Hybrid View

Default How to Train Your Dragon

I don't recall, I think there was another thread created on this subject, but it was quite awhile ago, and instead of necroposting an old thread that is no longer on page one, I'll just start a new one.

It was just released on DVD/Blu-Ray a couple weeks ago, and the boss that runs my place of employment finally got it in for rent!

I saw it on the shelf today and could not resist it.

I was kinda iffy on it from the start; I've never really been a fan of Dreamworks stuff, but man. This has really changed my outlook on Dreamworks.

I don't want to give out spoilers, but the ending was just pure epic, some very heartwarming moments between Hiccup and Toothless, and the trailers left out a lot of awesome little points you see when you actually go see the movie. I'd definitely recommend it to any of you dragon fans out there, I give it an 8/10, easily. Prolly give it more than 8 but people don't usually take 9 or 10s seriously and just write em off as fanboy ratings.

Default Re: How to Train Your Dragon

Was actually worth seeing in the theater in 2D (not 3D). And yes, its a very good movie with very high production values all-around.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Was actually worth seeing in the theater in 2D (not 3D). And yes, its a very good movie with very high production values all-around.
    I've never really paid much attention to IMax, 3D, etc.

My preferred method of watching movies, is sitting at my computer (yes, computer, not TV). The reasons for that are simple:

1). I have a $50 pair of headphones. Quite high quality. Every little whisper, I can hear with crystal clarity.

2). I sit not more than 12 inches away from a 27'' widescreen LCD monitor. Very clear and crisp image and I don't need to squint, ever (I have that eye condition, Myopia? Is that the one where you can't see far very well?). Wearing glasses for long periods of time = huge headache for me.

3). Nice, Comfy office chair. Chairs in the theater, yuck.

4). Popcorn, for almost free. 1 stick of butter? $0.25. A little salt? Practically free. One half Cup of unpopped popcorn? Less than a quarter. Makes a HUGE bowl (about twice as much as you get when you buy a large at the theater). Add a 24oz Mountain Dew to that, for about $.75 or so depending on how much you paid for the 6-pack. Total cost: less than $2. Try buying that at a theater and you pay $10 or more.

5). I can pause it when I go to the bathroom.

6). I don't have to worry about spilling my drink or my popcorn because I have a huge desk to set it on.

So, yeah... movies at home = awesome. Even without the 3D, or Imax.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I've never really paid much attention to IMax, 3D, etc.

My preferred method of watching movies, is sitting at my computer (yes, computer, not TV). The reasons for that are simple:

1). I have a $50 pair of headphones. Quite high quality. Every little whisper, I can hear with crystal clarity.

2). I sit not more than 12 inches away from a 27'' widescreen LCD monitor. Very clear and crisp image and I don't need to squint, ever (I have that eye condition, Myopia? Is that the one where you can't see far very well?). Wearing glasses for long periods of time = huge headache for me.

3). Nice, Comfy office chair. Chairs in the theater, yuck.

4). Popcorn, for almost free. 1 stick of butter? $0.25. A little salt? Practically free. One half Cup of unpopped popcorn? Less than a quarter. Makes a HUGE bowl (about twice as much as you get when you buy a large at the theater). Add a 24oz Mountain Dew to that, for about $.75 or so depending on how much you paid for the 6-pack. Total cost: less than $2. Try buying that at a theater and you pay $10 or more.

5). I can pause it when I go to the bathroom.

6). I don't have to worry about spilling my drink or my popcorn because I have a huge desk to set it on.

So, yeah... movies at home = awesome. Even without the 3D, or Imax.
    Understandable. I sit in front of a computer all day so the last thing I want to do in the evenings is sit in front of the computer for even longer. 12"? Yikes.

Besides, I love the movie theater experience.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Understandable. I sit in front of a computer all day so the last thing I want to do in the evenings is sit in front of the computer for even longer. 12"? Yikes.
    I'm one of those nerds I guess you could call me. lol.

I could sit in front of computers all day long, as long as I got a few minutes to get up and walk around. Heck, when I'm not working, I'm usually in front of one or the other computer (the other is hooked up to a 37'' Widescreen LCD TV) depending on what exactly I'm doing. Though, I don't sit 12 inches away from that 37'' ... more like 2-3 feet. On a nice office chair with an ergo keyboard in my lap and the mouse on a small folding stand right next to the chair.

Anyways, back on topic, a released-for-DVD sequel thingie? I will definitely have to look for that.

This movie is great in *anything* because it's a great movie... however it is *especially* awesome in 3d.

This last few years have been great for movies and I was finally driven to buying a projector (3d is driving the prices of 2d down)... can highly recommend it. We're still waiting for HTTYD to release on dvd/br in the Uk... why the delay? I have no idea.

Rakku

i have/am/will always be a dream works fan but this one topped it all off

Dragons. ROCK. thank you dreamworks.

amazing movie

I have read about How To Train Your Dragon 2 being prepared, as well as a serie in episodes for the little screen.

There's a made-for-DVD sequel available now as part of a set that came out with the movie's release to stores. I'm hoping to watch it soon. :-)

Thread Information