Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovering "Old" Things

Default Discovering "Old" Things

One day, a few weeks ago, my mom and I were bored, and we were channel-hopping and happened upon a movie being shown on Syfy.

This movie was named simply "Serenity" and neither one of us had heard of it, and we caught it, just as it was signing on. Having nothing to do, we started watching it, and I wound up enjoying it (especially that really awesome girl in that bar fight scene lol).

Anyways, while browsing TvTropes, I learn that the movie is actually a "sequel" to a series named Firefly.

Well, in talking with a coworker a few days after that, she asks me if I ever saw Firefly and I told her "No... but I did see Serenity" and she goes "OMG, I'm going to have to let you borrow it!" and I'm like "Cool!"

Well, she let me borrow her Firefly boxed set, and honestly... I was reluctant to give it back to her. lol. I plan on buying it as soon as I get the chance/time to browse a store like FYE, etc... heck maybe even Walmart would have it. Either way, if I see it (and Serenity), it is so MINE.

I love discovering things that are "old" but yet absurdly cool at the same time. Firefly and Serenity are definitely those (2002-2005ish).

Anyone else enjoy discovering old things that they found awesome, and/or have similar stories to tell?

Default Re: Discovering "Old" Things

Welcome to the right side, Browncoat.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Good to have another Browncoat among us Truth be told, I didn't discover this series till after it had finished airing. I now have two sets of DVDs- the one I can lend out and my copy.

*sigh* Firefly is one of the best TV series ever. Sucks it was cancelled so soon.

Btw, does anyone watch the TV show Castle? Nathan Fillion is the star in it and in the first season Halloween episode he dresses up like Malcolm Reynolds. His daughter asks him what he's dressed up as and he says "Space Cowboy!" and she replies "Oh, dad, thats so 5 years ago." Heheh, was really funny.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Love "Castle". Reminds me a bit of the show "Moonlighting" with Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis.

The "Space Cowboys" made us all crack up when we heard it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    *sigh* Firefly is one of the best TV series ever. Sucks it was cancelled so soon.
    I completely agree with this statement.

I have a sudden urge to dig out my Firefly DVD's

I started watching it AGAIN!

And I have Castle season 1 on DVD too.

Joss is boss!!!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

firefly was the reason i didn't watch network tv for almost 10 years......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    firefly was the reason i didn't watch network tv for almost 10 years......
    Babylon 5 and Space: Above and Beyond were the reasons I stopped watching Fox (I refuse to watch anything on Fox, period).

They *purposefully* canceled B5 one season short of its pre-planned ending, regardless of its popularity. The show was doing well in the ratings, and people were all loving it, then at the end of the 4th season, WHAM. Cancelled.

Thank God SciFi (I think?) was willing to pick it up, but sadly I didn't have any sort of cable or satellite at the time.

Then, the DVDs came along and I snatched em all up... well I'm missing one of the seasons... #3 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Thank God SciFi (I think?) was willing to pick it up, but sadly I didn't have any sort of cable or satellite at the time.
    It was actually TNT.

I've re-watched Babylon5 (all 5 seasons) over and over about as many times as I've re-watched Firefly and Ghost in the Shell (tv series) and Deep Space 9.

SciFi (er, SyFy) actually saved Stargate SG-1 when it was going to be cancelled. But, they also oversaw Battlestar Galactica (which started good and went bad IMHO). But, I'm loving the new Caprica series.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

*nods* I assumed it was SciFi that picked up B5, since it is, well, science fiction. lol. Like I said, I didn't have Cable back then, I'm just glad that *somebody* saved it, and held it through its planned ending. It was too awesome to die one season short.

Either way, Fox sucks. The only thing they care about are those stupid Simpsons and their Sitcoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    *nods* I assumed it was SciFi that picked up B5, since it is, well, science fiction. lol. Like I said, I didn't have Cable back then, I'm just glad that *somebody* saved it, and held it through its planned ending. It was too awesome to die one season short.

Either way, Fox sucks. The only thing they care about are those stupid Simpsons and their Sitcoms.
    FOX cancelled the Sarah Connor Terminator Chronicles really annoying

HBO cancelled Carnivale (amazing show) after second season.

UPN cancelled Enterprise after 4th season (it was starting to get good season 3 and 4)

As for Deep Space 9, really enjoyed it but the very last episode was a disappointment, mainly becuase it was like two separate stories stapled together and they reused space fight footage that they had used before (like the original BSG and Buck Rogers used to do in the 70's :P)

Babylon 5 was amazing, I remember watching it when it first came out and I was like Wow. The final season did suffer and just wasnt as good as the previous seasons (should have stretched the Shadow War across all 5).

I havent found a good Scifi series to watch for a while (need to finish watching V and download Caprica at some point).
    Last edited by Chasing; November 9th, 2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: OMG my typo's and grammar today
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

It was actually TNT.

I've re-watched Babylon5 (all 5 seasons) over and over about as many times as I've re-watched Firefly and Ghost in the Shell (tv series) and Deep Space 9.

SciFi (er, SyFy) actually saved Stargate SG-1 when it was going to be cancelled. But, they also oversaw Battlestar Galactica (which started good and went bad IMHO). But, I'm loving the new Caprica series.
    You seem to rather enjoy space/SciFi themed stuff Amon. Have you ever heard of the X series games by Egosoft? Such as X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict? You might enjoy those, I certainly do as they're the only space games that allow such freedom (Other than a modded Freelancer, maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    You seem to rather enjoy space/SciFi themed stuff Amon. Have you ever heard of the X series games by Egosoft? Such as X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict? You might enjoy those, I certainly do as they're the only space games that allow such freedom (Other than a modded Freelancer, maybe).
    Yes... Absolutely hated X3: Reunion. The controls, the dialogue and the tutorials all really really annoyed me so much I couldn't continue. And I can't bring myself to try Terran Conflict because of that.

Freelancer, though, that was a classic great game. Still have the disc around here somewhere. Alongside Freespace2.

Yes... Absolutely hated X3: Reunion. The controls, the dialogue and the tutorials all really really annoyed me so much I couldn't continue. And I can't bring myself to try Terran Conflict because of that.

Freelancer, though, that was a classic great game. Still have the disc around here somewhere. Alongside Freespace2.
    Yeah, unfortunately the controls have turned a number of people off, and the tutorial is horrible. xD But for me, the drive to be able to captain a capital ship was far more powerful and made me push through the above until I got used to it, mainly because there's no other game where I really can to my knowledge (Eve Online doesn't really count).

X3: Terran Conflict is rather improved over X3: Reunion (in my opinion), but it could still be better. If you use Steam at all, perhaps you might get a good deal on TC during one of their big sales in which case it might be worth giving a try. At the very least, you might like the controls more, for it has an option to use freelancer style controls (To the celebration of many in the community). It's got a much better interface as well.

I haven't played Freespace.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

heehee i still play freelancer - have it on both puters....snake plays it too
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Elite!

On Commodore 64!!

With *gasp* RASTER LINES!!!

On the subject of discovering old things, mine's more a rediscovering old things.

I've had this slight hankering to play Suikoden 3 again for like a couple weeks due to hearing the first part of the opening song on a music video. You know how hankerings get when they get a little stronger the more time goes by...

I'm subscribed to Gamefly with the current game being new Vegas. NV's load screens are horrible. Seems like I spend more time behind one than in the game. My PS3 also has this fun habit of freezing during gameplay so having to re do something I've already done is never fun.Yesterday after watching the load screen, I decided that enough was enough.

Went though my cabinet to fish out the game. Found out quickly the PS3's PS2 emulator isn't great. Put it in the PS2 only to spend and hour looking for memory cards. Was worth it though. Pretty game (for its time) and the load screens were nearly instant. No freezing, no coffee breaks for load screens, just the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    On the subject of discovering old things, mine's more a rediscovering old things.

I've had this slight hankering to play Suikoden 3 again for like a couple weeks due to hearing the first part of the opening song on a music video. You know how hankerings get when they get a little stronger the more time goes by...

I'm subscribed to Gamefly with the current game being new Vegas. NV's load screens are horrible. Seems like I spend more time behind one than in the game. My PS3 also has this fun habit of freezing during gameplay so having to re do something I've already done is never fun.Yesterday after watching the load screen, I decided that enough was enough.

Went though my cabinet to fish out the game. Found out quickly the PS3's PS2 emulator isn't great. Put it in the PS2 only to spend and hour looking for memory cards. Was worth it though. Pretty game (for its time) and the load screens were nearly instant. No freezing, no coffee breaks for load screens, just the game.
    Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever play a game on Console when there's a PC version out. Ever.

PC versions of a game offer more, in terms of being able to download free mods, making your own mods, and decently-equipped PCs will play them far, far better than the consoles would.

On average, in FO:NV, my load screens are no more than 5 seconds long and my PC is 2 years old and when I put it together, it was a 'best bang for buck' instead of top-of-the-line.

Thread Information