(Okay, so... yeah. I've never done or tried anything like this before, and certainly not on this scale. I normally am adverse to forum roleplay and prefer to do things live, but an all-out war is simply beyond my ability to accomplish without GM tools or speed typing in two places at once, both of which I do not have. Aside in-game GM events, I don't think this has ever been attempted in HZ, so let's see how it goes, shall we?

Rules/suggestions on how this works will follow the initial story post which sets up the War of the Edari/War of the Fallen Son. Enjoy!)

“There will be no more running.” Maurger carved at the debris with his claws, dust kicking up into the stale air of the hidden chamber. The rocks rolled away into a pile.

“There will be no more hiding.” The black drake sneered and slashed at the rock with all his strength, sending pieces flying everywhere. The pile he created was picked apart by stone hands.

“I tried to birth a better world for my kind without bloodshed, but it seems that all change must begin with blood.” The stone rumbled away as Maurger broke through, fresh air wafting into the chamber. He stood there and breathed it, enjoying the smell of it. He would not bury himself away to keep alive this time. He would fight for it.

“Even if I must infest every drake and dragonelle in the world, I will create a better society. No matter how long it takes.” He turned back to the stale chamber and looked over them – the fruit of his labor. His backup plan.

“Each of you has a part of me with you. Each of you has been crafted to the finest detail. One of your brothers fell, but from him we learned how to better protect you and make you stronger. For good or for ill, you shall go forth to your assigned targets. Kill or infest those who resist. Bipeds are of no use – slaughter them indiscriminately if they get in the way. Prove your right to exist, Edari! Build a world in which you too can live! Now, go forth! To battle! To war!” Maurger shouted. The stone lurched with the hideous cheers of the creatures he had created. Maurger gave a regal turn and began his march, his army falling in step as they marched through the empty lair. The drake had already sent his family to safety and made arrangements for them, even should he not survive. That thought was painful for him, for Amalteah had urged him to run and hide. But he had tasted freedom. He would fight for it.

At the end of Sak’tal, the army split and moved off without him. He would join them soon, but he had to ready the greatest of the Edari.

While half of the army hid themselves amongst the abandoned honeycomb lairs of Granitefall Mountains, the other half had a longer march ahead of them. Skirting the tip of Granitefall, the army passed under the watchful shadow of the Spire and entered into the blistering desert. Over the forgotten scars of battle they marched, coming ever closer to their destination.

They were not unnoticed.

“Captain Legendweaver! Come to the south wall immediately!” the half-giant Thurdang shouted. The human captain followed the alert to the south wall, where Thurdang pointed out the mass migration.

“I have never seen creatures such as them before. They look like golem, but they are dressed for battle,” Captain Aaron Legendweaver said.

“Should I ready the guard for battle?” Thurdang asked.

“It would be unwise to charge off like that. Summon Jasinda. Maybe she knows what these are.” Aaron said. The half-giant saluted and soon fetched the gnomish mage who maintained Tazoon’s mage tower. She had brought a spyglass and examined them at a distance.

“From here, they look like regular golems, save their appearance,” Jasinda said. “But that they have been carved like that, and that they march in formation, suggests that they have been animated to do battle. Only a dragon could have made them animate using primal energy.” She paused, furrowing her brow. “No, wait. Look at their faces.”

The Captain took the spyglass. Through it, he was able to see their faces – black, with a huge gray eye protected by stone eyelids. “That’s no simple golem.”

“The city is in a tizzy! What is going on?” Allambe demanded as he stormed up the path to Tazoon’s gate. The leader of Feladan-In-Exile never had left his position of power, and remained a representative of the elves ever since Feladan’s reclamation.

“Seneschal, I cannot be sure that it is safe-” Aaron began.

“If that is the case, then I should be definitely aware of what is going on!” the elf exclaimed, pushing past Thurdang and the Captain. “An army on our very gates?” he asked as soon as he saw the marching golems.

“They do not appear to be heading here,” Aaron said, begrudgingly polite. He handed Allambe the spyglass. “We believe those were created by a dragon, but we do not know who might have done so, or why.”

“Black ooze with gray eyes? Only one dragon I could think of who might fit that description,” Allambe said. He returned the spyglass. “There was a black dragon who was conducting negotiations with us about either joining the Imperial Council or replacing representatives to both Helian and Lunus. Mogger or Frogger or something. Talks were put on hold until he had unified his people.” The dark elf looked out at the golems as they curved to the north, passing the scene of the Great Battle. “I’d say negotiations have broken down.”

“A civil war then?” Jasinda asked.
“I suspect little civility about it,” Allambe said.

“Thurdang, run to each of the guard and tell them to be on high alert. I’ll issue further orders once the matter has been discussed by the Imperial Council,” Aaron said. Thurdang once again saluted and departed.

“Just an alert, Captain? Should you not prepare them for war?” Jasinda asked.

“As far as I’m concerned, this is a dragon civil matter. Let them shoulder the burden,” Aaron said. “My only worry is this city. Allambe, will you call the Council to order? They should be aware of this.”

“I know how to do my job, Captain. I’ll expect a full report within twenty minutes,” Allambe said, walking leisurely down Tazoon’s main street.

“Should you not at least warn the dragons what is coming?” Jasinda asked.

“If their guard is as good as ours, then they should not need any warning. Besides – it is to Dralk they must march. Those dragons would sooner eat me than heed my warning,” the captain said.

“If this is the work of just one dragon… can you think of any parallel in history where one person brought down an entire society?” the gnome asked, adjusting her glasses.

“You presume too much, Jasinda. No matter the parallel, I’ll not risk our people to defend the dragons unless the Council deems it necessary. To pull back the troops needed for such a conflict could utterly destabilize the front and the undead could surge over our outposts and attack the towns. It would be like the old days again. Let what bleeding-heart or bloodthirsty Gifted will go to the dragons’ aid.”

He started as a councilman, too. I pray you can live with yourself, knowing you did nothing to stop the rise of the next Torrin Macalir,” Jasinda said. She walked away, leaving the Captain to his thoughts.

At last, the army arrived. The Edari arranged themselves in lines based on their type in the obsidian fields, taking from the harder stone whatever they needed for their goals. Three golems grouped together behind all the others, each giving up a black piece of themselves to form a small black dragon – a connection to Maurger himself. “The forces at Dralk are prepared to act, Lord Maurger,” one of the general-golem said. Its voice sounded like vibrating gelatin.

“The golem of Chiconis are also prepared,” said the generals hiding just behind the crest of the Granitefall Mountains.

“Excellent,” Maurger said, the goo-doll chipping at some unseen structure. “You have your orders. Send in the first wave. Destroy the travel gates.”

“As you command, Lord,” the Edari said in unison. One of the three generals walked to the front of their army and reviewed the troops he was to lead. The first wave consisted of two types of golem – the basic grunts, and the wizards. The grunts were of the same simplistic design as the prototype: heavy forearms, small hind legs, gelatinous connections. They had evolved, however, since the failure of the prototype. Side-stones of granite and obsidian hung over their shoulders and hind legs, protecting their joints from the hellish dragon flame. Their fingers had been sharpened with tips of obsidian to allow for easier infestation.

The wizards, however, were something altogether new. Maurger had experimented with his Dark Primal since he first went underground following his expulsion from the Blue Phoenix’s lair. The wizards were the culmination of his study: thin-framed, more humanoid golems, with bodies draped in ooze like dark robes. They had adapted all of Maurger’s spells to their own and had many surprises in store for the dragons that resisted them.

“By the will of our Lord, we shall bring down the society of ancient scale that has lasted four thousand years! A new age will begin this day! Rise, Edari of the Desha Treskri! Death comes to the unwilling!” The golem – Edari – saluted their first general by pounding their chests with their heavy stone hands. The general turned, himself a golem of khutit features armed with swords of obsidian and the breath of evil itself, and cried out a hideous gurgling screech as the army charged into the city.

Dralk and Chiconis both had come under siege by an army not seen since the rise of the Aegis.

Maekrux and Ausixen had been conversing with Valkoth and Semeneth. They were overturning all they had done while under Maurger’s influence and getting an update of the situation with more clear heads.

“I do not know which is worse, old friend,” Valkoth said. “To have your body taken from you, or your mind.”

“Each has their pains, Valkoth,” Maekrux said. Ausixen nodded to that.

“I know you suggest that Maurger would do something drastic, but what could a single dragon do?” Semeneth asked.

“We do not know for certain. It is possible that he may go back into hiding again, until he can return with a population of dragons loyal to him by birth,” Maekrux said.

“I think he will do something more drastic and immediate than that,” Ausixen said. “Drulkar has warned me of a looming shadow that is soon to descend on us.”

“This is dire prediction, Champion. I pray to Drulkar that this shadow is not as great as I fear,” Semeneth said.

A roar of battle broke their meeting. The four piled out of the ancient’s lair to see the first wave of Edari tumble down the path towards Dralk proper, the guards rising up to fight against hopeless odds. Semeneth’s wings drooped.

“By Drulkar, what has he done?” Semeneth asked.

“Semeneth, you must return to Chiconis immediately!” Maekrux exclaimed.
“But if Dralk-” the ancient began.

“If Dralk is under attack, then Chiconis may be as well,” Maekrux said.

Valkoth roared. “Sacrilege! Rally the guard! Summon all dragons able to fight! This heresy will not go unpunished!” Ausixen lifted his wings and spread his claws, preparing to fight.

“No, Ausixen, you must go with Semeneth,” Maekrux said.
“But grandfather!” Ausixen exclaimed.

“Chiconis is in more immediate danger, for he would have an easier time holding it than Dralk. If he is to show his face, that is where he is likely to be. Go, now! Neither city must fall to him!” Maekrux exclaimed.

“You are right. Hurry, Elder Semeneth!” Ausixen exclaimed. The elder nodded and the two of them escaped through the travel gate.

“It is like the battle of Tazoon all over again, isn’t it Maekrux?” Valkoth asked.

“I was but a hatchling then, and could do nothing but watch my father die. This time, I will not stand idly by and let the battle for our future be decided by others,” Maekrux said.

“Prove to me you still have it then. You owe me after that stunt you pulled with the rune,” Valkoth said, grinning as he took to the air. Maekrux followed.