Thread: Travel Token Prices

Default Travel Token Prices

The price of Travel Tokens is far too high. There is no way a scholar can afford to mass-produce the consumable Travel scrolls, and whether they were mass-produced or not, hardly anyone would want to buy them at the cost ti takes the scholar to make them.

Travel tokens need to be priced in the very low Copper range in order to make these scrolls a viable product.

Default Re: Travel Token Prices

Maybe they are priced high exactly because they are not meant to be mass produced?

Maybe they are targetted at being a money sink for a certain playerbase?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

I belive the number of travel scrolls produced per batch is going in increase to accomodate this.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Quote Originally Posted by hallucin8 View Post
    I belive the number of travel scrolls produced per batch is going in increase to accomodate this.
    Correct. In the current patch on Blight scroll formulas (including travel scrolls) produce 2 scrolls instead of just 1.

Maybe they are priced high exactly because they are not meant to be mass produced?

Maybe they are targetted at being a money sink for a certain playerbase?
    Also correct. Travel Scrolls are meant to be a money sink. No player is forced to use them. They are a convenience if you choose to do so.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Correct. In the current patch on Blight scroll formulas (including travel scrolls) produce 2 scrolls instead of just 1.

Also correct. Travel Scrolls are meant to be a money sink. No player is forced to use them. They are a convenience if you choose to do so.
    I don't think the cost/benefit works out at this price point. They don't do anything that a savvy player can't do for free. Please try to remember that for a low-level player, even 1 Silver is a lot of money, and high-level characters would hardly bother. The double-batch fix will help, but for the travel scrolls, I'm not sure it will bring down the price point per scroll to a practical level, especially nto to a level at which the scroll-maker can make a profit. Something needs to be changed, and the easiest solution is to reduce the cost of the Travel Tokens.

From what I've seen, the travel scrolls work as intended - they are not a necessity but a convenience, and at least some of those with lots of spare coin are happy to use them as a time saver when they have a disk in tow. That said, I do agree that 1 sp is a lot of money to invest in making each of them, especially since the normal portal fee for a level 100 character is 400 cp.

Do the scrolls save the cost of transporting a full cargo disk load as well? That plus the convenience would certainly make them worth over 1 sp each to the user. If scholars consign them in Aug for double the cost to make them, I suspect they could make some nice coin. And the ones for Mahagra, when available, will probably sell for up to 5 sp each because Mahagra offers direct porting to guild lands...

Travel Scrolls got debated extensively in the following thread

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23040
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Keep in mind that the main intent for a travel scroll is the teleporting with a full cargo disk. New players will have to do it the old, slower, drag the disk to a teleporter method if they do not want to pay for these. And really it is not affordable for new players. But I do not think these were put in for new players either. They allow you to teleport with a full cargo disk, which for a level 100 player with a 12000 bulk tarbash disk completely full already costs 600cp per port just for the cargo bulk (and another 400cp for the player, when the destination is not free). So the price of a travel scroll, which can (Potentially) eliminate several ports, actually turns out to be minor. But the real point will be the time saved.

I will suggest that travel scrolls be made for all the travel hubs, such as Bristugo, Mahagra, and possibly New Rachival if that is not already planned (others chime in if I have left a hub out). Travel Scrolls need to save #'s of teleports as well as time to really be desired, and therefore properly used by endgame players. As they are now, using a travel scrool to port to say Dralk, Chiconis, or Dalimond is only 1/3 a trip for the majority of players. Then they need to teleport to bristugo, and from there to a guild plot or settlement. So its 3 teleports total still.

If you can work the scrolls in such a way as to eliminate one of the teleports, then everyone will thank Istara herself with much gratitude. Since it is thru multiple teleports that the dreaded Locate And Grip (LAG) spell the Withered Aegis use gets targeted onto the gifted.

In their current form the only place I can think of where I will be using a teleport scroll is from the island of fire gem caves. From the adamantium its not all that far to fly to Delgarath, port to Bristugo, port to guild. Only 2 steps WITHOUT a scroll, and using one from there would actually ADD a leg in the trip.

Please add a Bristugo teleport scroll You can even make this one more expensive than the rest if you feel it needs it for balance.

question on the scrolls are they going to be player made or be bought off a npc?

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    From what I've seen, the travel scrolls work as intended - they are not a necessity but a convenience, and at least some of those with lots of spare coin are happy to use them as a time saver when they have a disk in tow. That said, I do agree that 1 sp is a lot of money to invest in making each of them, especially since the normal portal fee for a level 100 character is 400 cp.

Do the scrolls save the cost of transporting a full cargo disk load as well? That plus the convenience would certainly make them worth over 1 sp each to the user. If scholars consign them in Aug for double the cost to make them, I suspect they could make some nice coin. And the ones for Mahagra, when available, will probably sell for up to 5 sp each because Mahagra offers direct porting to guild lands...
    Keep in mind the current price for a Travel Token, at least the Dalimond Travel Token, is not 1 silver, but 3 Silver, which means that if the Scrollmaker does not want to lose money, they must sell it for at least that much. If they want to make money, they must mark it up, of course. I'll concede that this will be partially mitigated with the next revamp, which will drop the average cost per scroll down to 1.5 Silver per scroll.

If the argument is that Travel scrolls are meant for high-level players who want to teleport with loaded disks, I can accept that, but in that case, there MUST be a Bristugo Travel scroll. Very few others make sense. The Mahagra Travel scroll, which we should get in the revamp, will possibly suffice, but keep in mind that at the current price point, each use of a scroll will cost a portal jump and a half, according to other calculations on this thread, for your convenience.

From the perspective of the scrollmaker, keep in mind that in order to have the motivation to make the scrolls to begin with, especially for sale, we must be able to accomplish one of two things by doing so: 1) Get significant exp for making them, or 2) Earn money by selling them. Right now, hardly anyone is buying Travel scrolls, maybe because older players don't care about being able to get their full disks to Kion, Sslanis, Chiconis or Dalimond, and newer players can't afford them. So, if they can't be mass-produced, the scrollmaker isn't going to get the exp tehy want for making them, and if no one is willing to buy them at cost, let alone at mark-up, then the scrollmaker isn't going to make any money off them, so what scrollmaker in their right mind would bother to make these things to begin with?

If the cost of the Travel Tokens is lowered, the scrolls can still have the desired money-sink effect. Scrollmakers can make more of them, and sell them at a mark-up, and those who would buy them would likely buy them in decent bulk, which would have the desired effect of draining money from the system.

Do not forget that all travel scrolls currently share a 1 hour timer. Thus, regardless of travel scroll destination, a travel scroll can be used no more frequently than once per hour by a player toon.

Only a fraction of the player base will use travel scrolls and thus the consumption rate will be low at present shard populations.

Knossos

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post
    Do not forget that all travel scrolls currently share a 1 hour timer. Thus, regardless of travel scroll destination, a travel scroll can be used no more frequently than once per hour by a player toon.

Only a fraction of the player base will use travel scrolls and thus the consumption rate will be low at present shard populations.

Knossos
    When I have a full disk of marble I port from closest town Last Stand, to Clearport, to Bristugo and finally to Dralk were my lair currently is. that is 2x 675c and 1x 875c if I recall correctly. Over 2s gone for 1 T6 disk of Marble for me in this example. If the Scrolls are cheaper that is a positive thing.
    Only the once an hour thing if true makes it a whole lot less useful. When the elder players craft they truly craft, that means multiple disks per hour from the resource location to the Silo’s on their plot or lair.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

You are right, they are too high. I have lowered the prices of the tokens to 1/3 of their former value (which means a Kion/Sslanis travel token will now cost 500cp). I have also altered the shared recycle so that it is 50%.

There are no plans to add additional travel scrolls to other locations at this time.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

You are right, they are too high. I have lowered the prices of the tokens to 1/3 of their former value (which means a Kion/Sslanis travel token will now cost 500cp). I have also altered the shared recycle so that it is 50%.

There are no plans to add additional travel scrolls to other locations at this time.
    Thanks for the changes.

However I think you could double the current prices for the Bristugo token and it would outsell everything else, even at that price.

And the existing tokens will be awesome for players who live in those same communities, but I doubt anyone else will use them (the dalimond, dralk, ones etc.)

Thank you for addresing this issue.

travel scrolls? i've barely even heard of them. i still do it the old school way.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i am with romi...
    do these travel scrolls allow for disk transport as well? otherwise, i think i am fine with the ports, altho i wouldn't mind trying a couple out....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

They do work for disk transport. At least, they do right now. But they do have an hour timer on them. I have a bunch of them made, just ask me for some if you want to try them.
    Last edited by Zoran; January 2nd, 2011 at 08:48 AM.

Thread Information