Thread: Driver Class

Default Driver Class

I started taking a driver's class - figured its about time I get around to acquiring a permit (long story short: overprotective mother overprotected her car and told her daughter she wasn't good enough to drive for a long time. Now over-encouraging s/o insists she must learn! ). Yeah it was kinda pooey to drop $550 - but looking at it in the long run, it cuts the insurance bill in half. I practically make it up the first month for insurance costs. The other great thing: they teach about everything you need to know about it. One primary thing is defensive driving. Lets face it, there are a lot of really crazy people here in town who do really strange things like, oh say, not stop for pedestrians (like me, currently).

At the same time I'm getting a certain anxiety. Will I pass the test? Will I crash the car out of having no idea what to do? - Of course this region has a lot of things to be anxious about normally too, like moose. Moose are bloody scary to have the possibility of darting out in front of your car, so being taught in this thing about how to try avoiding them and what to do if you do inevitably hit a moose. And all that stuff under the hood makes me anxious too, I wouldn't know how to take care of the vehicle - an engine looks like stringy spaghetti to me. I'm mechanically challenged in the same way my elder family members are computer challenged.

Covered a lot of things today (visualize your brain being smacked several times with a large, thick textbook to cover the day of trying to get it all in there) - topic on road rage was very helpful. As I said, people are crazy! I am VERY happy they covered it, because coming from a city, there sure was a lot of it and it helps to know what to do if someone starts raging at you. Most importantly, how to deal with the dangerously psychotic level of road rage where they begin using their vehicle as a weapon or heck, perhaps they pull out a weapon (tire iron, gun, etc) and start attacking!

Anyhow - its all a lot to soak up and I'm no sponge. But if you can and are just starting out in a car, get yourself into one of these courses. Not cheap but sure worth every dollar thrown into it...

Hope I pass (again, I sure am not a sponge)!

Default Re: Driver Class

hey- you can fly- so driving should be np

But I cross fingers- just in case- I`m sure you`ll make it
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    <snip> and what to do if you do inevitably hit a moose. <snip>
    Or, when the moose hits you. Elk love bouncing off the sides of cars where I'm at. I can only imagine what would happen when a moose decides to give you a tap.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    ... and what to do if you do inevitably hit a moose.
    Get another car?

Good luck on the test! Driving laws aren't completely abitrary -- they'll become more intuitive once you get into the frame of mind in which they are written. (consistency with laws and practices in other provinces, states and countries; and in general, avoiding hitting things) Trust your intution and you'll probably do fine.

The classes are more to guide your intuition -- tell you what's out there, what you should do, and why. Don't think of them as complete rote memorization. Some stuff you will need to memorize though (like how far away from an intersection you must signal before turning, or the hours which a school zone speed limit must be obeyed), but the tests, if they're like the ones here, will have choices that are blatantly wrong and one that looks about right, so memorizing exact numbers will probably not be necessary in all but a handfull of cases.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerglassmire View Post
    Or, when the moose hits you. Elk love bouncing off the sides of cars where I'm at. I can only imagine what would happen when a moose decides to give you a tap.
    If you aren't dead, new car.

Just writing to say I passed the classroom portion of the course. Next up: the permit test on Tuesday...

Gratz!!!!!
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Didn't get to take the permit test on Tuesday - it would seem any permutation of ID articles were all mud in the eyes of the government workers as I had left my passport on my desk at home. Thus it is set for this coming Tuesday via rebooking.

... Darn government people needing me to prove I exist as a piece of paper ...

Update:

Passed exam while under the influence of Buckley's mix for a highly volatile cold/flu (not quite sure which, feels pretty bad either way). I'm feeling all kinds of "interesting" right now but hey, got my permit.

Took five to six tries to get a sort of okay picture on the license and didn't take any more because they were not getting any better ("Eh, they're getting worse so lets just use this one"). Every attempt yielded a much more 'heheh... dudee... stoned...' look courtesy of the cough medicine taken an hour earlier.

Yay, Buckley's! That stuff is vile.

Grats on getting your permit!
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Woot! Gratz!! Welcome to the long line of completely stoned looking DL pics, most times even while completly normal. I think the lens they use makes you look that way.

That's fantastic news! Well done!

I had to do 4 driving tests (and 3 theory tests lol) before I passed and got my license ... in contrast I passed my flying tests first time. I don't like driving!!

Rakku

Thread Information